Why do Rose And Cybil encounter a patient demon?

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

JadThomas
Just Passing Through

Why do Rose And Cybil encounter a patient demon?

Post by JadThomas »

Ok I've checked and checked for a discussion on this and haven't found one, if there isn't simply lock this thread and leave this down to a genuine mistake and not ignorance. Anyway :

I've almost got my complete theory on everything that happens during this movie, once I have my logical theory I will accept this to be truth unless I find a significant contradiction or just anything major that suggests my theory is false, simply because I do not want to spend the rest of my life searching for a truth ( how can you find the truth if you are not willing to accept one).

So anyway, I believe there are two realities; Silent Hill (the "normal" reality of which Christopher explores) and foggy Silent Hill (where Rose and the cultists are). Whether you want to argue this foggy dimension is or represents purgatory is something I'm not too worried about, but I would like to clearly state I believe the foggy Silent Hill realm becomes the otherworld (with all the monsters and bloody scenery). This said, my theory (which I obviously have not gone into deeply here, before someone says "You call that a theory?") is missing one truth, one more thing I am yet to understand. This one thing is : Why are their demon patients in patient demons in foggy Silent Hill? The sirens have not sounded and simply due to the fog, lack of darkness and relatively normal looking scenery it is unarguable that the otherworld has not yet taken over. So why is this? I know the movie and film are two different things but I would like to believe they stayed true enough not to try and pass it off that these patient demons are casual things that once strolled around with the cult members; I'd like there to be a more satisfying answer than that. Once I know the answer to this, as long as it doesn't kill the rest of my theory, I have finally found peace with this film. :)
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Well, mainly because they're there in the game :P

But I found that each monster seemed to represent something going on at the time. The "patient demon" as you call it appears to be struggling with no arms, but not just a no-armed creature, but as if it has arms tied behind it's back or something, hence the way it struggles to walk and bends over and things.

I don't think it's in any way a co-incidense that this monster appears when Rose has just been handcuffed, hands behind back. I figured they represent her struggle.

Similarly, the little "baby" things clawing at her and whining when she first enters the "otherworld" seem to represent her daughter, that her daughter would be crying out and grasping for her, much like these creatures whined and clawed at her, like a maternal thing.

So I figure, perhaps small manifestations can happen on the normal, foggy world too. Perhaps the person has to have "projected them", though, through emotional distress or something?
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
JadThomas
Just Passing Through

Post by JadThomas »

At the start of your post I thought you was going to ignore my main question and just tell me about symbolism, but wow, that actually makes a lot of sense and I love the idea of arms being confined and then the patient with no arms appearing, and the manifestations being projected. However are you placing the power of Alessa or the town responsible for these manifestations. Are these part of Alessa's nightmare or just caused by the town?
angelofROOM302
Historical Society Historian

Post by angelofROOM302 »

I figured that the only reason why they encounter a patient demon was because it was the coolest monster in the whole movie. :)
It's really not necessary to try to make sense of the movie since nothing has much meaning as we really think it does.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

The patient demon also can be a representation of Alessa's violation, see how it is bleeding from its pelvic zone... The lack of arms can represent how Alessa was unable of defend herself from Colin...
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I remember hearing the director say that everybody who enters Silent Hill 'becomes a ghost themselves', so perhaps these entities are projected from them as sort of hauntings, or perhaps they're other 'ghosts'?

I don't think it was any co-incidence that everybody you see enter "foggy" Silent Hill was 'knocked out'. Chris safely drove there and found himself in the 'normal' reality, but both Rose and Cybil had been knocked out before waking up there. You don't see it happen to Cybil but the dialogue seems to go out of it's way to make it clear that she was "out for a while" after falling off of her bike.

I sort of see the "foggy" Silent Hill as like a "Silent Hill lite" - with the darkness sort of 'leaking' into the world, like it is escaping, while the "otherworld" is the full-on dark dimension which is trying to break out. Ya know? Like perhaps some things are left behind when the darkness receeds, or some things are just able to survive outside of the darkness, or 'escaped' from that dimension through the rift being caused by the whole Alessa thing...?
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
JadThomas
Just Passing Through

Post by JadThomas »

It's really not necessary to try to make sense of the movie since nothing has much meaning as we really think it does.
That's not what I'm asking. Forget the fact it's a patient demon. It could be any monster for that matter, but the point is there is a monster there and the otherworld has not taken over. Anyone can post what they believe this particular monster's relevance is to the story as an extension to their real answer which should be explaining why there is a monster without the shift.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I think my post just above that one was a pretty good explanation...
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I always figured that Alessa manifested it to test Cybil's usefulness and make her immediately aware of what's going on to prevent confusion, lack of cooperation, and general freaking-the-fuck-outness on Cybil's part later.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Well, you don't just have to be in the otherworld to see these monsters.
I think the directors weren't thinking too much about it.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

The reason the OP asks, though, is that in the Movie, the monsters seem to be in the Dark World only, save for this one, single, Lying Figure. This seems to be the rule, too, since the cultists never fear monsters until they hear the sirens.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Phantom Allure

Post by Phantom Allure »

KageReneko wrote:The patient demon also can be a representation of Alessa's violation, see how it is bleeding from its pelvic zone... The lack of arms can represent how Alessa was unable of defend herself from Colin...
It wasn't bleeding... it was dribbling acid from that hole in its chest. Remember how the droplets smoked on the ground?

And the way I figured it, The director most likely decided to portray the Lying Figures to be up and about during the "foggy" phase because:

1)That's how you first encounter them in SH2 and
2)It's meant to imply that there's really no time of complete "safety" for the damned townsfolk.
[url=http://www.marvindmartian.deviantart.com]Deviantart account[/url]
[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8271]My SH fanfic novel[/url] l [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6642]Monster design set 1[/url] l [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6974]Monster design set 2[/url] l [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7970]Monster design set 3[/url] l [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7213]Bosses design[/url] l [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6446&start=30]Commission design[/url] l [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7463]Manga sample pages[/url]
crucifix

Post by crucifix »

LOL PLOT HOLE
no longer active. thanks for the memories.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

2)It's meant to imply that there's really no time of complete "safety" for the damned townsfolk.
Good point.
LOL PLOT HOLE
Says the guy with an 0rigins-related avatar. lulz.
crucifix

Post by crucifix »

AuraTwilight wrote:Says the guy with an 0rigins-related avatar. lulz.
i'm a girl, and travis makes me laugh. i'll have him and his toaster-prowess as an avatar all i want.
no longer active. thanks for the memories.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

I remember having this same discussion on another forum back when the film came out, and the reigning theory there was that Alessa may not have as much control at the edges of the foggy world as she does over the rest of it.
nicole84
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by nicole84 »

JadThomas I think you forget that also when Rose and Cybil went with Cristabella at the hospital so that Rose could find the "demon" and later when Rose actually confronted the nurses and Allesa down at the basement, the alarm hadn't sounded yet. So, I would say that monsters also exist in the foggy dimension, like in the game. Just because we don't see them all the time, doesn't mean that they aren't there.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

The basement of the hospital is where "the darkness is strongest", so I'm of the assumption that the bottom of the hospital is ALWAYS dark and never shifts.