Bad news for SH2

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

JRamirez35 wrote:More news:
In an interview with Bret Easton Ellis (writer of American Psycho), he was asked a question about Roger Avery.
DW: Is he still attached to direct Glamorama?

BEE: He’s going to be shooting Silent Hill 2. As far as Glamorama, it’s just very hard to get the money to make it.
http://chuckpalahniuk.net/interviews/au ... on-ellis-2
Whoa! Interesting!

Miasmal_Justice wrote: Of course, he probably won't, what with Del Toro having a promising career and high reputation, and the fact that Silent Hill 2 is probably doomed to become a straight-to-video release reminescent of a really bad Romero zombie flick. It's just a natural transition, in my opinion. Silent Hill wasn't favourably recieved by critics or most of the audience, and it's a horror movie, AND it's a video game adaptation. 3 strikes against it. I liked the movie, but I really doubt the sequel could get a theatrical release or any good coming out of it.

That's just my cynical doomsaying, though. :P
Don't worry... critics don't matter, what does is whether the movie made money, and it did! In theatres and on DVD/blu-ray! So there's plenty of incentive for them to improve SH2 and try again!
ph_slave
Just Passing Through

Post by ph_slave »

Wow, I wasn't even in the state of awareness Silent Hill 2 was even in production, but apparently someone has quoted it's "shooting" or some sorts. Maybe this is true, maybe not. I have my skeptical thoughts about it, but I'm hopeful, as I loved the first film. :) (don't shoot me!)
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

JRamirez35 wrote:More news:
In an interview with Bret Easton Ellis (writer of American Psycho), he was asked a question about Roger Avery.
DW: Is he still attached to direct Glamorama?

BEE: He’s going to be shooting Silent Hill 2. As far as Glamorama, it’s just very hard to get the money to make it.
http://chuckpalahniuk.net/interviews/au ... on-ellis-2
That isn't saying much, to be the devil's advocate here. BEE could have heard that Avary was attached to a project and know little else about its production. This quote isn't saying anything new in terms of what we already knew (Avary was working on the script), nor does it say SH2 is being produced or made right now. Basically BEE isn't on the SH2 crew and he doesn't know anything besides what he's told or hears through the grapevine.

Plus, Avary is facing charges of vehicular manslaughter and two felony charges after a drunk-driving incident killed a woman. Looks like he's going to be tied up in other shit.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

JRamirez35 wrote: Yeah, I don't necessarily believe this, but I want to try and keep people abreast of every rumor out there, as we never know when one might have a nugget of truth in it. :wink:
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

I know you said that. There was no need for you to requote yourself.. I was just adding on to it.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
ph_slave
Just Passing Through

Post by ph_slave »

I'd just like to hear something from Konami about it or at least know for sure if it's going to be made or should be filed in the lost movies that were never taken on... that or just hear about a good psychological horror movie being released, cause I haven't seen one in a while.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Krist. wrote:I know you said that. There was no need for you to requote yourself.. I was just adding on to it.
Ok. It sounded like you were saying I did believe it, so I reposted to remind people of that. I tend to get flamed on IMDb sometimes for posting news that people think I believe. Honestly, I hope to God it's not true cause Avery was the worst part of the first movie. As someone said on IMDb, he's gonna turn Silent Hill into Noisy Hill if he does get his hands on directing it.
HeresJohnny
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by HeresJohnny »

Sometimes, less is more, is the way to go with films. That was probly my biggest problem with the first film, it tried way to hard, with tons of special effects and randomly throwing monsters in from the games to make us happy. Simplicity can make something much more frightening. I think Silent Hill might have been better off as an independent film. That is the reason I do want the second one to be made because it is another chance that someone might get it right. If it sucks, oh well. But if its good we will all be happy, so I'm all for the sequel being made. I just want more suspense and less of a big budget feel. I did enjoy aspects of the first film, but there was to much that took away from it, in the end.
Lark
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Lark »

AuraTwilight wrote:Hate to break it to you, but you can't really do a movie with just four people like you can with a video game.
Blair Witch? The Mist?
God didnt make man equal, Col. Colt did - Anon.
Lark
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Lark »

aj4x94 wrote:
alone in the town wrote:Wow.

I mean, I'm as discerning a Silent Hill fan as anyone, and probably more than most, and still I don't understand why the movie is hated the way it is. I don't think it was spectacular. Certainly, it had its faults and there were liberties taken at some points that should not have been (west virginia lol), but overall I thought it was a pretty tasteful adaptation, and I am looking forward to a sequel.
The movie is probably one of the best game-film adaptations(if not, the best) but the changes they made were just too much. For example, there were just way to many people in the movie(all the Order members and miners), and it ruined the isolated feeling the games had. Sean Bean's extended role didn't help either. The script could have used alot of work too. But like I've said many times, I did enjoy the first half of the movie, until it became The Crucible. It's better if the movie isn't made, so they don't mess it up even more then they have already.
I kind of agree, although I heard rumours that Bean was only ever cast because the first cut came out and focus groups reacted badly to the fact there wasnt a male lead or many male characters in the film at all. Think about it, if his parts wherent in it its all women, men would only appear as abusers or women burning muscle. I had friends who are interested in gender studies talk to me at boring length about this.

I felt the movie was much more Hellraiser than it needed to be, lots of maxed out horror, like the burning scenes and a lot less baffling and twin peaks, here's a clue now fill in the gaps with your own imagination, than the game was. Although this was more the case with the first game I'd say.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Blair Witch? The Mist?
The Mist is full of people, and the Blair Witch sucked.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
syntheticlung
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by syntheticlung »

Not the point Aura.
I was watching Resident Evil Degeneration today and I thought it felt it was a game story crammed into an hour and a half then it hit me. I would love to see the story of Silent Hill 2 in a miniseries (done accurately and... well, good). I think to include a decent amount of the story from any of the games a miniseries would be the way to go. The first movie sucked and when they actually got to explaining why it was all happening it used this horrible info dump where Alessa basically talked directly to the audience.
Lark
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Lark »

AuraTwilight wrote:
Blair Witch? The Mist?
The Mist is full of people, and the Blair Witch sucked.
When you think about it The Mist didnt really have that many people, there where a lot of people who where like the red shirted extras on star trekk but they might as well have been props, there where in actuality just two or three characters who mattered and I think its a great small group under pressure style movie. The mad religious woman who demands sacrifices totally reminded me of Daliha in SH1 or the leader of the witch burners in SH movie.

Blair Witch may have been a poor movie, I thought that at the time but it was an example of a small cast movie.
Not the point Aura.
I was watching Resident Evil Degeneration today and I thought it felt it was a game story crammed into an hour and a half then it hit me. I would love to see the story of Silent Hill 2 in a miniseries (done accurately and... well, good). I think to include a decent amount of the story from any of the games a miniseries would be the way to go. The first movie sucked and when they actually got to explaining why it was all happening it used this horrible info dump where Alessa basically talked directly to the audience.
I think that would be awesome, sort of a cross between twin peaks and Lost, I know fans of SH who talk about Point Pleasant or shows like that but I dont think they hit the mark.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

When you think about it The Mist didnt really have that many people, there where a lot of people who where like the red shirted extras on star trekk but they might as well have been props, there where in actuality just two or three characters who mattered and I think its a great small group under pressure style movie. The mad religious woman who demands sacrifices totally reminded me of Daliha in SH1 or the leader of the witch burners in SH movie.
Well then in that case, the Silent Hill movie only had about six characters, which is just about SH-appropriate (even not counting all the space-fillers in Mist, the cast of important people is about nine).

Anyway, we've proven Silent Hill doesn't have too much people in it. :) Argument over.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]