Why did you like it? (or not)

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

ILoveCarrots
Just Passing Through

Why did you like it? (or not)

Post by ILoveCarrots »

It was about 22.16 last night when a quick commercial showed a preview of the Silent Hill movie. Of course, I was in exitement. I was so happy since I never saw the whole movie, and only whithout subtitles.
But when they said the movie started in 4 minutes I went crazy. I begged my mom to record it on a videotape.
I have to admit, it was nice to watch it with Dutch subtitles, there were some words I didn't understand at first.
I gotta say (ashamed) I didn't even knew Sharon was adobted (cough).
So, it was nice to watch it. Even though I was half asleep when I finally saw the credits roll.
I asked my parents if they liked it, and by surpirse, they actually did!
I know that I've watched better movies. But this really was one of the best movies translated from a game. It was even better then the Resident Evil films (in my opinion)..
Why I liked it? Because the story was known, if you've played the games. Still, they made it look different. And I felt really sorry for Alessa. The poor girl only wanted a normal life!

BTW: My parents went crazy everytime I heard a song/sound that I knew from the game xD. I told them to which game it belonged etc. They were happy it was over..

My question to you guys it, why did you liked the movie? (or not xD)
* And please give an example, instead of only saying "because it was scary". ^^
Last edited by ILoveCarrots on 08 Jun 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Someone should get the toiletpaper!
SilentOne
Just Passing Through

Post by SilentOne »

I liked the basic idea of the plot: a mother taking her ill daughter to a dead town to figure out wtf is wrong with her.

I, personally, did not like how it was executed. Although, I did like the crazy priest lady with the plastic lips (Christabella). :V
Yo.
Light Alessa
Just Passing Through

Post by Light Alessa »

I simply liked it because it was something i'd wanted to see for a long time, it put me off tbh as i wasn;t sure if i'd like it, although surprisingly i did! I liked the ideas, the actors / actresses, the outfits, sets, maekup, but the only problem i had was the cheesy dialog!
[quote] I love the Silent Hill Series. The Games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I Believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill 8 can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their Series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.[/quote]

Put this In Your Sig If you agree :)
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

I never even noticed the cheesy dialog, but I felt it was pretty much the perfect video game movie.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I actually saw the movie before I played SH1 and I liked it. I thought it was interesting how they actually made the devil half way sympathetic. The first time I saw it I was half asleep at the end, and it didn't even register that Sharon was different, or that Rose and Chris were in the same room but not. The only thing that did register, oddly, was the pan over the bushes before the credits rolled, which made me go WTF?!?!? Even after multiple viewings I still don't like the ending. But I still liked the film.

Then I played SH1. I still liked the movie, but I felt that they missed the point of the game. And when the original ending you write is worse than the Bad+ ending, your film has issues. :mrgreen:
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I thought it was interesting how they actually made the devil half way sympathetic.
It helps that it's not the Devil, but Alessa's dark side.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

On the making of documentary, Christophe Gans says it is the devil.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

He says it's the devil inside of Alessa. Alessa's actress them goes on to say that a big part of the story is how we all have a God and Devil inside us. Sharon and Dark Alessa are Alessa's good and evil sides.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

I tought the story of the movie sucked a lot, but the characters were damn cool - I said to my father to watch this but when the Janitor came he said something like "gross, look at those things.." and switched the channel :P

This movie could be better, what made me like it were the characters - no doubt.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Dark Alessa symbolically represents the devil, however that is not literally what she is. Dark Alessa and Sharon are the good and bad manifestations of Alessa, containing the dual sides of her soul. One is 'god' and one is 'the devil'.
Kairu
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Kairu »

I liked the visuals and how some effects were done, the cinematography...thats about it, the rest completely sucked for, not going to say why because this is a 'what you liked' thread
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I acquiesce. Head still smarts from beating with knowledge stick.
ILoveCarrots
Just Passing Through

Post by ILoveCarrots »

Kairu wrote:not going to say why because this is a 'what you liked' thread
Sorry, I changed the title..

Anyway, I was thinking the same about the dark Alessa/Sharon thing, I guess that dark Alessa is Alessa's devil form and Sharon is her God form.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

I think you should change it again.

I always considered Dark Alessa reflective of Alessa's hate and anger, yet not necessarily evil at all.
Wayward Soul
Gravedigger
Location: Purgatory. Neither Heaven nor Hell will accept me to their Kingdom Gates.

Post by Wayward Soul »

There was two thing that I liked about the movie the Blood and the Guts. :lol:

But really I thought that the movie was well done, it had a good plot and acting was great.
[url=http://robb-wayward.deviantart.com/][color=blue]Some walk on the path of Light[/url][/color]
[url=http://youtube.com/user/RobbWayward][color=red]Some walk on the path of Dark[/url][/color]

I shall walk on both paths.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

ILoveCarrots wrote:
Kairu wrote:not going to say why because this is a 'what you liked' thread
Sorry, I changed the title.. Anyway, I was thinking the same about the dark Alessa/Sharon thing, I guess that dark Alessa is Alessa's devil form and Sharon is her God form.
That's very close to the wording used by Gans when he talks about Alessa/Sharon/Dark Alessa.
ILoveCarrots
Just Passing Through

Post by ILoveCarrots »

alone in the town wrote:I think you should change it again.

I always considered Dark Alessa reflective of Alessa's hate and anger, yet not necessarily evil at all.
Why?
alessas angel
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by alessas angel »

I really liked it and a major reason was the atmosphere. The shooting was beautiful. All the grays meshing together made for a wonderful shoot.
Life changes daily so go with it!
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

I liked how it pretty much stuck to the SH1 story line, PH was badass, Alessa's dialog was kinda cheesy but she looked incredible at the end with the barbed wire scene. But mostly I loved the scenery and the music compositions, especially since alot of them came from the game.

....i kinda wanna watch it now.
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
xibalba22
Just Passing Through

Post by xibalba22 »

I LOVED the movie. I've almost got it memorized I've seen it so many times. I used to pop it into the DVD player every night. What I liked about it was Pyramid Head being in it. I'm a huge Pyramid Head fan. I loved the end of it. With them being stuck in purgatory but thinking they were really 'home'. I heard that a part 2 of the movie is coming out. Anyone know how true that is? If it's true, I hope they make it more like the game part 2, and keep making movies that go with the flows of each game. Anyway they do it, I know it will be awesome and I'm so excited to see it.
This makes me want to watch Silent Hill as well. :)
*~_Alexander_~*