2004 Silent Hill Script

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

Deathbywoodenplank
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Deathbywoodenplank »

Nice find JRamirez35! : D

It think they should have kept most of the original script in the final product. The ending aforementioned (Rose and Sharon getting home safely) is a little more satisfying and it leaves a lot more room for a sequel that follows some of the actions of SH Origins (the Otherworld is accessible via mirrors).
Not in cruelty, not in wrath
the REAPER came today.
An ANGEL visited this gray path,
and took the CUBE away.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Hey, Ramirez, calm down a little, you're being a bit more hostile than suits you. I think Deadbolt is just commenting that he likes the general plot and such in the script better, not so much that it was superior in writing.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
crazyhorse
Just Passing Through

Post by crazyhorse »

An add for Christian Prayer Center in a Silent Hill forum? Somebodies going to hell for that!
[img]http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz157/nogchoceek/Avatars/uncanny.jpg[/img]
"Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster; and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you."
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

What the hell are you talking about? Ads are good for the forum's bandwidth bills, and Silent Hill isn't anti-Christian or anything.

This scientology.org ad, however, can get out.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

I'm not being hostile. I'm really only hostile to people who are either A) idiots or B) jerks or C) jerks who are idiots (the most popular kind). I don't consider Deadbolt to be any of these.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Mm. Came off that way. But he told me to tell you that he's taking a break from the boards, now that he found work again.
Drainage64
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Drainage64 »

Well they certainly left a good few things out. I would have liked to have seen that ending with the mirror they had but the movie turned out decent enough anyway.
-=Let's Positive thinking=-
crazyhorse
Just Passing Through

Post by crazyhorse »

AuraTwilight wrote:What the hell are you talking about? Ads are good for the forum's bandwidth bills, and Silent Hill isn't anti-Christian or anything.

This scientology.org ad, however, can get out.

Hold on there Tex! I' was just joking! You are a little jumpy!
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

The scientology.org comment should've been a clue that I was joking too, dude.
crazyhorse
Just Passing Through

Post by crazyhorse »

AuraTwilight wrote:The scientology.org comment should've been a clue that I was joking too, dude.
HA! Sorry about that.
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

These details they changed actually may have made me like the movie even more if they kept them. Well, most of em
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial
TMALIVE
Just Passing Through

Post by TMALIVE »

I've read the first 45 pages so far. I will admit, I do love this opening way more then what we got. I just prefer that it doesn't start off with the cliché "Oh no, my daughter is going to sleepwalk off a cliff! AND she's saying that town's name again in her nightmares. Hmm, well I better take her there then, even though the websites say it's an EVIL TOWN, and breathing the air might kill ya." With this opening, it shows the normal world with normal terror, which is "My daughter is dying from an incurable disease, what the hell am I going to do..." No horror opening, no "it's an evil place bull", just real life horror for the real life world events.

My only problem with the opening is the Healer bull, and Sharon being Rose's real daughter. But those could have been fixed. Instead of a healer, why not just make it a get away. Your daughter is dying, and she asks if she can go to silent hill, based of an ad that's on TV. It's a vacation place, so why not go there and spend as much time with your daughter before she dies. Oh, your husband doesn't approve? Well, screw him. Also, this idea would kill the abandon smoke town idea, but good riddance I say.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

My only problem with the opening is the Healer bull, and Sharon being Rose's real daughter. But those could have been fixed. Instead of a healer, why not just make it a get away. Your daughter is dying, and she asks if she can go to silent hill, based of an ad that's on TV. It's a vacation place, so why not go there and spend as much time with your daughter before she dies. Oh, your husband doesn't approve? Well, screw him. Also, this idea would kill the abandon smoke town idea, but good riddance I say.
What's wrong with the biological daughter thing?

As for the Healer thing, you gotta think of what it represents. It's a less stupid version of the reason why Rose took Sharon to Silent Hill in the released movie: Faith.

Despite all reason, despite all logic, Rose's faith and determination makes her do something no one in their right mind would do, and because she kept marching forward, she eventually got what she wanted and deserved. The movie kind've has a pro-God thing, but not for any specific religious denomination.
TMALIVE
Just Passing Through

Post by TMALIVE »

AuraTwilight wrote:
What's wrong with the biological daughter thing?

As for the Healer thing, you gotta think of what it represents. It's a less stupid version of the reason why Rose took Sharon to Silent Hill in the released movie: Faith.

Despite all reason, despite all logic, Rose's faith and determination makes her do something no one in their right mind would do, and because she kept marching forward, she eventually got what she wanted and deserved. The movie kind've has a pro-God thing, but not for any specific religious denomination.
Well, I get the logic of her character in the script, and think it's way more believable then what we got in the film, but I just think it's still too... I don't know. I just don't like it personally, even though I am a religious person. As for what's wrong with the biological daughter part, I just prefer it the way it was in the games, since it does make Sharon the way she is more explainable. Heck the decease could simply be happening because she's missing her other haft, and can't live passed the age of there separation. Also, I'd even take it a step further by making Rose a women that can't even have kids, which would make her cling to Sharon even more as the closest thing to a daughter she'll ever have, and will go to hell for her literally.
SilentOne
Just Passing Through

Post by SilentOne »

TMALIVE wrote: Also, I'd even take it a step further by making Rose a women that can't even have kids, which would make her cling to Sharon even more as the closest thing to a daughter she'll ever have, and will go to hell for her literally.
Isn't this implied in the first movie? If not, then I just kind of assumed that this was the case. It made sense in my mind, at least. lol
Yo.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

As for what's wrong with the biological daughter part, I just prefer it the way it was in the games, since it does make Sharon the way she is more explainable. Heck the decease could simply be happening because she's missing her other haft, and can't live passed the age of there separation. Also, I'd even take it a step further by making Rose a women that can't even have kids, which would make her cling to Sharon even more as the closest thing to a daughter she'll ever have, and will go to hell for her literally.
You said you didn't read the full script, so keep going. It's implied that Sharon is a partial reincarnation of Alessa's spirit, given to Rose deliberately. The disease is also a deliberate action to force Sharon's mother to bring her.
TMALIVE
Just Passing Through

Post by TMALIVE »

Also, though I think someone already said this, I do find it interesting that this script uses mirrors as a way to show the other world. Makes me wondering if this idea they were originally going with inspired the Origin's team.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

It's likely. Climax has had communication with previous writers of the Silent Hill franchise.
TMALIVE
Just Passing Through

Post by TMALIVE »

Finished reading script. I have mixed feelings about it. It's not a prefect script, since it was a script that was still being worked on at the time. But I think some elements in the script are better then what we got in the film, while some elements in the final product are improved over what's in this draft. However, some problems I see in both versions haven't been improved, and apart of me wishes they did.

Improvements over the final film:

1) No Christopher scenes that over explain what's going on (and in some cases, re-explain what you've already been told.) However, I do miss the scene that involves Chris and Rose being in the same space, yet he only smells her perfume, and she doesn't notice him at all. It showed their relationship right there. She needs him, yet wants Sharon more. And Chris wants Rose more then Sharon. Thus, they're together briefly, yet still separate. It also showed that Rose clearly wasn't in the same world as the one Chris is in right now. So I guess I still want some Christopher scenes, just not the amount we got.

2) No voice over for the flashbacks, saying "Congratulations Rose. You're here! You did it! Your reward is the truth." I just prefer that the story is simply told threw visuals, and not a cheesy voice over. However, I think taking Rose out of the flashbacks might be better, since The Grudge did something similar.

3) No cheesy lines like "They say this place is haunted." "I think they were right!" crap.

4) Dahlia leaving her daughter to die. I think it work better for her character, since it adds more to her guilt.

5) Repeating monsters. Way better then before, since for some reason in the movie, a monster would appear and never seen again. Only Pyramid Head appeared more then once in the final film.

6) The opening scene, as I explained before, is handled with less cheese and cliché.

Improvements in the Final film:

1) The Janitor being added into the film. I thought that part of the back story was a good add, as well as the creepy character itself. He was a cool new addition to the series.

2) The dialogue scene with between Rose and Cybil when Rose returns to the crash site is handle better in the final film, though still not that great.

3) I prefer Cybil's fight with the miners, and then is burned alive better for the character, since she fights for Rose before she dies. In this script, she's passes out in the church, and then wakes up to be roasted.

4) I do prefer what Gan's did last minute, and changed the ending from 12 Pyramid Heads to Alessa with barbwire. Seems more fitting, since this is her revenge.

5) I also still somewhat prefer the ending of the final movie, with Sharon and Rose together, but still not in the same world as Christopher. A sad ending, but still good for the characters. Though it's not a perfect ending, it feels more true to a silent hill ending, in which it's a sad ending. While the ending of the script feels too cliché.

Things I don't like about both versions:

1) Scenes with Anna. When watching the movie and reading the script, it's always this moment when things really go down hill. I know the character is a re-imagining of Angela, and is there for exposition and for someone to finally die in the movie before the end. But still, I hate her character, and she ruins the flow of the film.

2) Though I like the scenes at the end, and I like elements of the cult, I never really liked a group of religious people trying to survive in Silent Hill. It works for the story, but I just prefer to keep the town as abandon as possible like in the games. Then Rose first meets them, it was always at that point the film turned more anamia then Silent Hill to me, with lines like "Then tell me where I'll find this Demon!"

That's all I can think of at the moment. Over all, I do kind of prefer the 2004 script more then the final film, but mostly because of a better first act.
Metronome
Just Passing Through

Post by Metronome »

Y'know, I had my doubts about Roger Avary as a writer because of some of the dialogue in the movie, but some of this is really good and would have made for a much better film. Sharon also seems like a little more interesting character in this draft as well. Especially when her mother finds her sketches. In the movie she just throws an annoying little tantrum but in this version we get the whole "these are the people I see when I'm in pain" thing, which is really creepy. Would've liked this movie a lot more, really gives me a little more hope for the writing in the sequel. :D