Avary and Hadida Returning to Silent Hill

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

Krysta
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Krysta »

GioGio wrote:
Whitney wrote:Wow I'm surprised Roger Avary is apart of it considering the manslaughter charges.
Manslaughter charges?
yea, for instance http://kotaku.com/5343073/game-movie-wr ... nslaughter

movie script must be ready for quite some time now, scripts are usually 1st things that are done before everything is going to take place. Hard to even guess but James story seems to be a tough material for a comercial one half hour long movie.
Last edited by Krysta on 15 Sep 2009, edited 1 time in total.
kumiko
Gravedigger

Post by kumiko »

I agree Krysta, whatever Gans thought of as a sequel may be a big surprise? who knows but from reading on here I dont think sh2 story would work properly unless then went standalone
Youma Taisan!
saevitia
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by saevitia »

Well, at least we know they're working on it?

I'll have to know more about where its going before I complain OR get excited.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Since Avery just now signed on, there's a good chance he'll be directing or producing and not writing the script. Let's hope it's only his script skills that are lacking and that he picked up a lot from Gans. I know that Gans wanted to adapt SH3 as a sequel, so I wonder if the studio execs followed his lead on that?
SilentObserver
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentObserver »

I *liked* the SH movie. I *liked* that it gave me a new perspective, and kept the details from the games at a minimum, and that they wrote their own story. If you read the original script, you'd see that the movie WAS originally as close as we got to a full adaptation, with numerous in-game references and other crap that made it hellishly boring. A direct movie adaptation from a game would be confusing, at best, and would not draw in an audience. These people aren't just trying to give fanservice, they want to make money, they want to tell a story that will make them money.

With that said, I hope the next movie takes INSPIRATION from the games, but continues the story from the first movie. I don't mean retelling it, and honestly the end doesn't really leave itself off for a sequel about the same people. If it wants to combine tons of visual stuff from the rest of the games, great, I don't care, as long as the story is entertaining.

I don't want a story about James, or Heather, or whatever, we already have those.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

If you want the second movie to continue the ending of the first one, then you're gonna have a version of Heather in it, since Alessa was reborn at the end of the movie.
SilentObserver
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentObserver »

Well, let me put it into better words here - if she's named "Heather" then you'll already know the story before the movie comes out, and likely won't go see it. I think there is a lot more to be told about the Cult of the Movie SH than just continuing a story about Alessa will give us.

And I never said anything about continuing the ending, just the story. The ending of the SH movie speaks for itself. If I had to choose anyone from the ending to write another movie about, it would be the Husband... which would be pretty damn cool in itself. Picture him returning to look for his family, and finding out about his skeletons. That would rock.

Either way, whatever they decide to do, I'm still going to go see it. Because the Otherworld on a big screen is FTW.
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

More info here:
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/17374

We don't know whether this will be based on the 2nd game. Frankly I'm alright with the movies doing their own thing and telling new stories.

Hopefully we'll get a good director involved. Gans said that if he couldn't do it he'd want to hand pick a European director himself... I wonder if that will work out.

Lar Von Tier, or whoever that made Antichrist looks like a great visual director for Silent Hill, but I doubt he'd want to do it and he may be too extreme cnsidering the content in Antichrist, not so much for the subject matter which is chilling, but rather that he apparently puls no punches when it comes to shoing you every gorey detail on screen. I prefer some things to be mroe implied rather than to see it...

Del Toro is also a big SH fan, and would also be great but he's busy with the Hobbit now.

I can't really think of anyone else...

It would be sort of cool to see various directors each try making a SH film with an original story to see different takes on it, but that's probably asking too much. Well le's hope for the best! I'm excited and I'm sure Avary and everyone else knows the criticisms levied against the first movie and will try to do much better.
kideatsu
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by kideatsu »

I'm sorry I have to say this. With all the bashing of Avary's writing abilities, I have to. Okay. So. Has anyone here actually read the original script? It thought, compared to the outcome, it was very good. The dialogue was much better than the outcomes', and I believe the few scenes cut out would have made the film a lot more appreciable. It would have made it more real I think, more emotional.

But yeah besides that I'm happy with actual news about the sequel. It's about time. They need to quit the RE movie series though because there's no hope for that. I lost hope for it after the RE Apocalypse crap.
CodenameJ
Just Passing Through

Post by CodenameJ »

kideatsu wrote:I'm sorry I have to say this. With all the bashing of Avary's writing abilities, I have to. Okay. So. Has anyone here actually read the original script? It thought, compared to the outcome, it was very good. The dialogue was much better than the outcomes', and I believe the few scenes cut out would have made the film a lot more appreciable. It would have made it more real I think, more emotional.
I read it. Avary's a shit writer. If that script was made into a film, it would have been laughable at best.
TetrahedronHead
Just Passing Through

Post by TetrahedronHead »

Guiellermo Del Toro directing a Silent Hill film? Oooooh, how perfect. Pan's Labyrinth, The Orphanage, Hellboy; everything he's done begs for him at the helm of any Silent Hill project. Unfortunate that there would be just no way to get him in the director's chair.

The script was, frankly, godawful. I still enjoyed Silent Hill, however, for the imagery. While it never reached the level of any of the games, it was probably the most imaginative horror movie to reach the silver screen since SAW-clones began to take up most of the celluloid in the continental United States.

But I'm still looking forward to this. The star of SH isn't going to be the actors, or the script. It's going to be the visual effects department. Gans was wise to insist upon real actors in latex playing all of the monsters. I hope the new director isn't another CGI hack.

Also, Resident Evil and Silent Hill worlds apart. Silent Hill is a horror film. Resident Evil is action with a sci-fi bent. Hell, I remember reading Roger Ebert's review of the original, which as much as stated, "Where are the damn zombies?!" My sentiments exactly, Rog! The first started out way too slick, but at least Paul Anderson was a competent director . . . the second and third pushed the limits with their cemetery kung-fu fighting and convoluted "Alice-clone" storyline . I shudder to think what RE4 will foist upon movie goers when it assails theaters in the near future.
One who can only see the stars as above him lacks the gift of insight. --- Frederich Nietzche.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

The next Resident Evil movie will be in stereoscopic 3-D. A lot of horror movies are looking to incorporate it. I'm betting there's a good chance that Silent Hill may also receive the 3-D treatment. I hope they use it mroe immersively rather than just for gimmicks. Though occasionally a gimmick might work, like for example when Pyramid Head's knife suddenly comes through the door. But do that sort of thing too many times without restraint and it just becomes expected and hokey. It's knowing when to use it that counts!
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

I saw a trailer for the new Silent Hill movie,a nd frankly it looks like they took stock dialogue and sound effects from the second game. And Cameron Diaz as Maria? WTF? But it doesn't look terrible nonetheless.. I guess..
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

^What are you talking about? It hasn't even started filming yet.
neonblack
Hope House Careworker

Post by neonblack »

The star of SH isn't going to be the actors, or the script. It's going to be the visual effects department. Gans was wise to insist upon real actors in latex playing all of the monsters. I hope the new director isn't another CGI hack.
Effects may stir a superficial "Dude, that was so cool when..." after the film is over, but the emotional weight of a film is everything. The writing, the direction, the score, the cinematography, the acting, the mise-en-scène created by all of these elements. The Silent Hill games themselves are tolling emotional experiences. To me, the most emotional elements of the first film were Akira's songs. Cool looking monsters won't salvage a film for me, because that isn't what Silent Hill is about. I expect too much of the film maybe, but when every element of a brilliant production is right there in the games - a substandard hour-and-a-half of horror entertainment doesn't cut it.

I, too, would like a standalone story for the sequel, but chances are they'll go for an adaptation of 3 or 2. We'll see. I'm hoping Gans sticks to his word, about overseeing the production of the second film.
"Blessed is the lion which becomes man when consumed by man; and cursed is the man whom the lion consumes, and the lion becomes man."
[size=84]The Gospel of Thomas, logion 7.[/size]
Kerrigan
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Kerrigan »

There's about a billion different things that be done with this sequel, and I'm going to be quite sad if this film is as subpar as the first. Creating a story with marvelous inspiration is hardly a challenge, so...I don't get how somebody can fuck that up. gg.

But wasn't it announced that the films were supposed to be a trilogy...?
DirtyNorris
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by DirtyNorris »

Is the script online somewhere?
[img]http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac241/DirtyNorris/o0p1cpjpg.png[/img]
neonblack
Hope House Careworker

Post by neonblack »

For the first film? You missed it by 2 threads.

http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=19269
"Blessed is the lion which becomes man when consumed by man; and cursed is the man whom the lion consumes, and the lion becomes man."
[size=84]The Gospel of Thomas, logion 7.[/size]
DirtyNorris
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by DirtyNorris »

Oh, thanks very much!
[img]http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac241/DirtyNorris/o0p1cpjpg.png[/img]
Xev

Post by Xev »

Hey - Terry Gilliam was mentioned in that article - I bet he would do an awesome job directing the sequel! Ahh, if they would only let SHHF direct the movie and write the script...or might WW3 ensue? :P

Avery isnt the end of the world. I do not enjoy the possibility of RE melding with SH in his brain, but there is hope. I liked the first SH movie.
I am just happy they are actually doing another. Yes, when I walked out of the movie theatre after seeing the first, I didnt really know how to feel about it. I didnt know if I should be pissed or overjoyed! I will now know to separate the games from the movie and I will have a lighter look at this sequel. I cant wait!!!

Am I the only one thinking SH4 would make a sick movie??