Silent Hill Writer Sentenced For Vehicular Manslaughter

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

Ratiocinator
Brookhaven Receptionist

Silent Hill Writer Sentenced For Vehicular Manslaughter

Post by Ratiocinator »

Will this have any effects on the screenplay?

---------------------------------------

http://kotaku.com/5371671/silent-hill-w ... nslaughter

Roger Avary, who received an Oscar for Pulp Fiction and who wrote the Silent Hill movie, is headed to jail for gross vehicular manslaughter. He was sentenced to a year in prison and five years probation.

In the fatal crash last year with Avary at the wheel, a hundred mph drunken driving crash left Avary's friend Andreas Zini dead and his wife in critical condition. Zini had recently wed and was visiting from Italy. His wife, Maria, was in another car.

Avary has settled with Zini's family in a civil suit for $4.1 million.

"It has profoundly altered me to the very core of my being," Avary said in the Ventura County Court.

Earlier this month, Avary signed on to write upcoming film Silent Hill 2.
silenced angel
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by silenced angel »

wow, didn't see that coming...

so sad...
nanook in heaven...
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

As I posted in the other thread, it's not going to affect the film because he's being allowed to write the script during his sentence.
crucifix
Historical Society Historian

Post by crucifix »

JRamirez35 wrote:As I posted in the other thread, it's not going to affect the film because he's being allowed to write the script during his sentence.
wow.

some sentence.
no longer active. thanks for the memories.
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

That's awkward.
'This movie was written in jail.'
Lol, maybe he'll get some different ideas for it then. Jails are spooky!
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

The Cleveland Browns player Donte Stallworth killed a man while drunk driving and only got 30 days. And it still makes me cringe how the families of the victims settle for money. It's almost like "Well my familiy member is dead but give me millions and it won't be so bad"
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

lol Maria the dead wife.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Herr Shaun
Gravedigger

Post by Herr Shaun »

AuraTwilight wrote:lol Maria the dead wife.
Haha, I know. Spooky. :P
You've got your good things, and I've got mine.
Kaiza Killa
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Kaiza Killa »

AuraTwilight wrote:lol Maria the dead wife.
:lol:

H+
"Everything above your neck's going to be a fine red mist" - Sniper (Team Fortress 2).
Kaiza Killa

Post by Kaiza Killa »

I know that being a fan of Silent Hill I would normally have a bias in favour of this person, but being that I despise drunken drivers who put other people's lives at risk, I feel that it is justice that he be sentenced. At least, however, he is able to write in prison.

H+
"Everything above your neck's going to be a fine red mist" - Sniper (Team Fortress 2).
Faded-Myth
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Faded-Myth »

Mixed feelings too. If Avery goes with the actual game's story arch rather than a direct sequel to the first movie (which I liked) I'll be excited, but at the same time seeing celebrities literally get away with murder (well, manslaughter in this case), on the basis of them being famous is just disgusting.
[url=http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page][img]http://www.box.net/shared/static/gzp1irrtr0.png[/img][/url]

[quote]I feel sorry for Henry. Here we have, this good-looking, even-mannered, sharp-dressed young single man, but who gets the fangirls wet? The weirdo serial killer with a soul-crushing Oedipal Complex and bad hygiene, or the dickhead priest with greasy hair and nasty teeth. - Alone in the town[/quote]
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

I don't think Avery got away with murder, really. The judge cited his extreme remorse for the incident when sentencing him and he paid the family $4.1 million. I think it has more to do with the judge than Avery's status. Here in Houston, an everyday joe got ten years probation for shooting and killing a tow truck driver for towing his car.
Kaiza Killa

Post by Kaiza Killa »

I agree with both of you. But at least it was one year and not a week or some ridiculous sentence like that. Afterall he was driving under the influence and killed his friend as a result of his carelessness.

H+
Faded-Myth
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Faded-Myth »

That's my point. An every day Joe gets 10 years probation, where as a director gets considerably less. I understand the difference between shooting a tow truck driver and accidentally causing death by careless driving, but he drove while intoxicated. It doesn't send a good example to people by letting him get off comparatively lightly.

However, I will admit $4.1 million is at the very least compensation, regardless of how it pales in comparison to the loss of a human life.
[url=http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page][img]http://www.box.net/shared/static/gzp1irrtr0.png[/img][/url]

[quote]I feel sorry for Henry. Here we have, this good-looking, even-mannered, sharp-dressed young single man, but who gets the fangirls wet? The weirdo serial killer with a soul-crushing Oedipal Complex and bad hygiene, or the dickhead priest with greasy hair and nasty teeth. - Alone in the town[/quote]
Kaiza Killa

Post by Kaiza Killa »

Well put.

H+
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

I think I wasn't too clear when I was talking about the average joe thing. He got no jail time whatsoever, only ten years of probation. At least Avery got jail, plus five years of probation.
Faded-Myth
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Faded-Myth »

Ah, well that sucks too.

Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

I don't get why people cringe over sentences being reduced due to money compensation, I mean, it's stupid that money in itself allows you to get off but why you'd be surprise someone would take MILLIONS over just getting nothing and letting a man suffer longer is beyond me.
Your weaboo is showing
Faded-Myth
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Faded-Myth »

If someone killed any of my family members, people whom I've lived with and grown up with for 26 years, no amount of money would ever replace what was lost. I'd rather see the person responsible for it suffer unimaginably over any amount of money offered. No amount of money could ever replace loving memories.

Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

Neither will that man suffering. But at least money let's you buy stuff. Like a wave runner. Him suffering will get you nothing.
Your weaboo is showing