Stories about people who only watched the movie...

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

I remember playing SH1 with my boyfriend, Deadbolt, watching. He had only seen the movie and played SH2, so when Dahlia showed up, he was all "Awesome, she's gonna help us out in this version?"

I snorted like a pig.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Only know my sister who hasn't played the games but was confused by the ending. other word I've gotten is that only those who are familiar with the games liked the movie whereas other people liked some fo the stuff in it but were overall left confused and didn't really get it...
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

There's no consensus on who liked the movie and who didn't. In other words, I've seen plenty of people who liked the games say they hated the movie, and I've seen lots of them say they like it. Same thing with the people who haven't played the games. Since the film's storyline is so far from the game's, I don't see why anyone would claim that only people who had played the games would get the movie's storyline.
Kaiza Killa
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Re: Stories about people who only watched the movie...

Post by Kaiza Killa »

Bowl Cat XL wrote:I thought the movie was good, as a movie, if the games didn't exist. Although, as a Silent Hill movie, it was very misleading. One of my son's friend (we'll call him Barack Obama) was over at my house playing with my son (who we'll call Bubba). I was in the living room watching TV, and they come in, wanting to play some video games (we have a gaming tv, and a tv for watching cable). So they go over, looking at all the games they could play and Barack says "Oh! Silent Hill! Let's play that!", motioning towards Silent Hill 3 (my son is 16, and acts mature for his age and is responsible most of the time, so I let him play mature games, watch mature movies, etc. His friend is 14). I say, "Alright, but the game is very scary, Obama, do your parents allow you to play mature videogames, or watch mature movies?", to which he replys yes. So they pop in the game, load it up and decide to trade off every time they beat a puzzle, or every time they die. Obama, noticing that the main character is a girl, says "Oh, is that Rose from the movie?" I quietly facepalm, while Bubba goes on to explain to him that, no, the Silent Hill games were not based on the movie, and that they have been being created since 1999. He then had a very confused look on his face and eventually they decided to play Motorstorm. Anybody else have something like this happen?
You have my sympathy Bowl Cat 40, or Bowl Cat Extra Large. I do not know how I would have managed to contain myself after hearing someone say that. :lol:

H+
"Everything above your neck's going to be a fine red mist" - Sniper (Team Fortress 2).
Restoration01
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Restoration01 »

Mephisto wrote:I gave up long ago on "introducing" people to the series, so nobody really knows a godddamn thing and make assumptions that are real fucked up.
Same here, but I managed to convert one of my friends to play SH:Origins, and then the movie.
He loved the music and the ambience; I had to explain to him what the monsters represent, but after awhile, I can tell that he got bored. :?

My brothers and sister (I have 2 brothers and 1 sister) were interested in the movie, mostly because of how Alessa's story and the emotions.

But, when I showed them the game, they dissed it.
I never spoke with them in 5 weeks. :evil:
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

JRamirez35 wrote:There's no consensus on who liked the movie and who didn't. In other words, I've seen plenty of people who liked the games say they hated the movie, and I've seen lots of them say they like it. Same thing with the people who haven't played the games. Since the film's storyline is so far from the game's, I don't see why anyone would claim that only people who had played the games would get the movie's storyline.
Well for people who played the games, it made more 'sense' in that we're used to these sort of ambigious endings, and having the knowledge of the game's universe and background in the back of our minds helps fill in those gaps. Something newcomers will not have. I just explained to my sister the easiest way possible. It's a set-up for a sequel that will hopefully expand things a lot more.

Other newcomers liked it because it was different from your usual horror films and loved the idea of a whole haunted town that is like a Transformer, in that it turns into different and fucked up things... :P Also they liked Pyramid Head. Most went in with expectations of schlock horror and got something a bit differetn and surprising.

So all in all the movie was a mild success at the very least. Even those who hated the way it turned out like some things about it. So we're all pretty much hoping for a sequel that will succeed.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

^While it's true that the sequel will probably expand on the meaning of the alternate realms, it's unlikely (though not impossible) that they'll continue Alessa's story, since she now has a new body and a new mom and is content where she is.
AdjectiveRyan
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by AdjectiveRyan »

i've never tried to introduce others to the series. main reason is that a lot of my friends are not gamers. other reason is because i wouldn't be able to handle it all that well if they tore it up. i was a little disheartened when my ma said she laughed when she watched the movie. i like the games about 100 times more than the movie. disheartened would turn to pain...which the pain would turn to hate..and then i'd need a dark adjie...where do ya suppose i'd find one of them.
Bowl Cat XL
Just Passing Through
Location: Otherworld boiler room, slipping through those frustrating bars

Post by Bowl Cat XL »

JRamirez35 wrote:^While it's true that the sequel will probably expand on the meaning of the alternate realms, it's unlikely (though not impossible) that they'll continue Alessa's story, since she now has a new body and a new mom and is content where she is.
Personally, I am hoping that the director of the next movie will disregard anything that happened in the first movie, and make a Silent Hill 2 movie. On topic, I recently watched the movie with one of the guys I hang out with, who has played most of the games. He liked some of the effects used, but disliked the butchering of the first games plot and Pyramid Head's presence. Overall, he said he enjoyed it and we agreed that bad publicity is still publicity, and that if a second movie were to be made, that it sticks with the canon in the games.
Mechanical tender love
Plug in socket wonder drug
Electric action animal grind
Thudthudthud clocks the time
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

My neighbour, who never played an SH video game (and wasn't even aware that the movie was based on one) said it was one of the best movies he'd seen, so that's a good sign. My girlfriend was quite terrified by it but liked it, my Mum really enjoyed it, she said it was "Alice in Wonderland as a horror", and my bro-in-law liked it so much that he claimed my DVD of it once I got the Blu Ray. My sister said it was "okay", lol.

I actually like the movie better than the game.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.