Birth theory

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

JKristine35
Subway Guard

Birth theory

Post by JKristine35 »

Considering that much of the movie is symbolic and deals with the theme of motherhood on many levels, I think there may symbolically have been more to the scene where Rose takes Dark Alessa inside of her than just making a deal with Alessa's dark side. I think the scene might symbolically represent Rose being "impregnated" with Alessa, whom she then willingly "births" in a rather painful manner. I think the idea is that Rose then became the biological mother (in Alessa's eyes) to Alessa and, by extension, Sharon. The concept of Rose willingly becoming Alessa's mother would be another point of contention between herself and Dahlia, as Dahlia most likely never planned on becoming pregnant considering she wouldn't even name the father. Just something I noticed recently. :)
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yea, that's pretty cool. I was muddling that thought myself recently after comparing with the 2004 script, but I didn't comment because I didn't know how to word it.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
pingtold
Just Passing Through

Post by pingtold »

That's very good analysis.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

For some reason, Dahlia's refusal to name the father didn't strike me as her not planning it; it seemed to me more like there WASN'T a father.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

That's silly. If there wasn't a father, she could just say so; there's no doubt the cult members would've believed her, considering how backwards they are.

On the other hand, I'm sure hundreds of thousands of women all over the world refuse to name the fathers of the children they have out of wedlock. Did they all have supernatural virgin births?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

I think some people just like to imagine that Alessa and Anakin are similar, at least in birth. o_o
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Yuki wrote:For some reason, Dahlia's refusal to name the father didn't strike me as her not planning it; it seemed to me more like there WASN'T a father.
There's about a million other reasons why she would refuse to name the father, all of which make more sense than that. Just off the top of my head, Dahlia could have A) Been raped, and was afraid of the person who raped her, B) Been raped and felt the cultists would blame her (in the 1960's, rape was simply thought of as the woman changing her mind afterwards and was considered to be entirely the fault of the woman), C) Slept with a married man and been too afraid to name him (he may have been a powerful figure in the town), or D) Slept around with a lot of guys and didn't know who had fathered Alessa.
Wilson
Just Passing Through

Post by Wilson »

AuraTwilight wrote:That's silly. If there wasn't a father, she could just say so; there's no doubt the cult members would've believed her, considering how backwards they are.
I beg to differ. I'll take a direct quote from the film: "BURN THE WITCH!".

That, and the whole 'God did it.' excuse was already soo overused.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Wilson wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:That's silly. If there wasn't a father, she could just say so; there's no doubt the cult members would've believed her, considering how backwards they are.

Then what was the point of 'We fight the sin, not the sinner'? Dahlia wouldn't be blamed for anything, the child would simply be killed as a spawn of the devil.
neonblack
Hope House Careworker

Post by neonblack »

Indeed. Not much to theorize about, as this was most definitely the message the scene intended to convey.
There's about a million other reasons why she would refuse to name the father, all of which make more sense than that. Just off the top of my head, Dahlia could have A) Been raped, and was afraid of the person who raped her, B) Been raped and felt the cultists would blame her (in the 1960's, rape was simply thought of as the woman changing her mind afterwards and was considered to be entirely the fault of the woman), C) Slept with a married man and been too afraid to name him (he may have been a powerful figure in the town), or D) Slept around with a lot of guys and didn't know who had fathered Alessa.
All plausible, except for B, which is ridiculous. Where on earth did you get that idea?

I have a hard time believing that Alessa was unplanned. It makes more sense to me that Dahlia didn't want to name the father in order to protect herself or him. A supernatural birth also isn't out of the question as there is no evidence to rule it out.
"Blessed is the lion which becomes man when consumed by man; and cursed is the man whom the lion consumes, and the lion becomes man."
[size=84]The Gospel of Thomas, logion 7.[/size]
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

All plausible, except for B, which is ridiculous. Where on earth did you get that idea?
Actually, it's totally true. Before feminism and Women's Suffrage got such a big influence on bettering society, the woman was usually blamed for the rape she experienced. You know, the whole, "You shouldn't of been a trampy slut, lol" line or "She was really saying yes with that skirt."

My aunt is the result of one of these rapes my grandmother experienced in the late 50's.
neonblack
Hope House Careworker

Post by neonblack »

Yeah, that still happens today and I'm sure it was more common in the '60s, but saying that rape as a crime was totally passed off as the victim's fault just isn't true.
"Blessed is the lion which becomes man when consumed by man; and cursed is the man whom the lion consumes, and the lion becomes man."
[size=84]The Gospel of Thomas, logion 7.[/size]
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

neonblack wrote:Yeah, that still happens today and I'm sure it was more common in the '60s, but saying that rape as a crime was totally passed off as the victim's fault just isn't true.
It's a huge link, so I'll put it under a spoiler tag for everyones' sake. Another link, showing how police treated victims of rape:
http://inquirer.philly.com/packages/cri ... 9side1.asp
The anti-rape movement didn't really begin until the late 1960s. and didn't really gain national appreciation until years later. Dahlia became pregnant with Alessa sometime between 1965 and 1966. Even with the anti-rape movement, Silent Hill was still a small town run by a religious cult that didn't quite have the greatest values.
Wilson
Just Passing Through

Post by Wilson »

JRamirez35 wrote:
Wilson wrote:

Then what was the point of 'We fight the sin, not the sinner'? Dahlia wouldn't be blamed for anything, the child would simply be killed as a spawn of the devil.
Taking my post too seriously.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Sarcasm works so well on the internet where vocal inflections don't exist.