Yahoo Games "worst videogame movies" Silent Hill

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

DarkMatter
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by DarkMatter »

It's not perfect but there are far worse movies out there. And it's easily the best video game movie adaptation yet. I enjoyed it, even if the writing was a little bland and the end had that whole five minute speech explaining the plot up until that point. Not perfect, but definitely a step in the right direction. Here's hoping the sequel improves upon it even more.

I even have friends and family who never played a Silent Hill game that enjoyed the movie.
BurningWitch
Just Passing Through

Post by BurningWitch »

How the hell is the Silent Hill movie on there (which wasn't good by any means), and no Resident Evil movie on that list?

Those movies are some of the worst movies I've ever seen. Oh, by the way where was that shit Doom movie?
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

lol Yahoo can suck on my nuts. Silent Hill is the BEST video game movie. By a long way. I liked Resident Evil and DOOM as well (sorry, BurningWitch), but Silent Hill was blatantly leaps and bounds ahead of both.

It's just another instance of an idiot with the internet thinking they know better than everybody else, publicising their opinion.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Deathbywoodenplank
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Deathbywoodenplank »

BurningWitch wrote:How the hell is the Silent Hill movie on there (which wasn't good by any means), and no Resident Evil movie on that list?

Those movies are some of the worst movies I've ever seen. Oh, by the way where was that shit Doom movie?
*shudders* didn't even think of Doom. I'd say that would probably be the worst game->film adaptation I've even seen.
Not in cruelty, not in wrath
the REAPER came today.
An ANGEL visited this gray path,
and took the CUBE away.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

You've not seen enough movies then... DOOM was decent, just different to the game.

EDIT: What am I talking about, this is subjective, nobody's wrong or right, different people have different tastes. What I mean to say was I liked it, even though it was different to the game. I find these top 10 worst lists to be ridiculous really because the fact is anything is subjective to different people, if the creators of something didn't like it they wouldn't make it for example, so these lists are a complete waste of time, just somebody acting like their opinion is better and more important than everybody elses for some reason.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

You've not seen enough movies then... DOOM was decent, just different to the game.
WHAT? No it wasn't, it was a cinematic failure. It bombed in the box office and had extremely shitty production values and writing.

Don't believe me? "The hidden evil in the HUMAN GENOME!!"
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Dallow
Just Passing Through

Post by Dallow »

How Yahoo can place the Silent Hill movie up there with Super Mario Bros, Street Fighter and House of the Dead is completely beyond me. While not being a milestone in cinematic horror, Silent Hill is easily the most faithful videogame to movie adaptation there is. Period.

When I watch the film, at least it still feels like Silent Hill. It's more than I can say for the Resident Evil series, which is so far removed from the videogame experience that it has become something totally different.

The only good thing about the Resident Evil movies is when Colin Salmon gets diced by the laser grid in the first flick; everything thing else after that is a cheap, steaming pile.

The likes of Uwe Boll and Paul 'WS' Anderson should stop making videogame adaptations/movie remakes and go write something original. Look at both of their CV's and find a single redeeming feature (many will argue that Anderson's Event Horizon was cool however): there really isn't one. Who the hell gives these guys the cash to keep making turds?

And they can leave Street Fighter alone too. It's so crap that it's almost good viewing. :lol:

But to wrap this one up, Silent Hill sits at the top of the pile when it comes to videogame adaptations, and I think is worthy of a sequel. Just as long as they do it right and don't veer too far outside of the boundaries.
AuraTwilight wrote:No it wasn't, it was a cinematic failure. It bombed in the box office and had extremely shitty production values and writing.
Yeah, Doom was an epic fail. Primarily because the script was poor and that The Rock is a has-been. The first person sequence was pure cheese.
[img]http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/1982/dallow.jpg[/img]
cascade88

Post by cascade88 »

Paul 'WS' Anderson should stop making videogame adaptations/movie remakes and go write something original.
The first Resident Evil film was original--that's why I love it, and think it was great, while the second and third ones in the trilogy completely suck. He didn't go by any of the games in the original, and an all-new plot was made, a cinematic prequel, and I think it was well done.

I think they should have gone for a whole new story with the Silent Hill film, too. It was alright as it was, but so much was changed--a mother looking for her kid, not a father; Dahlia's actually not half-bad; the premise of the cult--it was all pretty good, but I don't think it was fantastic or anything, to be perfectly honest.
єเภ ןє๔єг єภﻮєl เรt รςђгєςкlเςђ
Dallow
Just Passing Through

Post by Dallow »

cascade88 wrote:The first Resident Evil film was original--that's why I love it, and think it was great, while the second and third ones in the trilogy completely suck. He didn't go by any of the games in the original, and an all-new plot was made, a cinematic prequel, and I think it was well done.
What I meant was that he should make something that is entirely his creation. I mean, he's done Mortal Kombat, Resident Evil, Aliens Vs Pedator, Death Race, etc. All quite poor when compared to the original games/films. I will accept that the first Resident Evil movie was watchable when it was released, but I think that was more to do with the initial excitement of an RE flick being made.

George A. Romero's script was ten times better IMO.
Dallow wrote:The only good thing about the Resident Evil movies is when Colin Salmon gets diced by the laser grid in the first flick; everything thing else after that is a cheap, steaming pile.
I correct myself. Milla Jovovich did give us a flash of her landing strip at the end of the film, so that's two good things overall. :wink:

And Christophe Gans doesn't exactly slip out of the net. Brotherhood of the Wolf was quite decent but now I hear he's signed up to make Onimusha, which will nudge him slightly into WS and Boll status.
[img]http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/1982/dallow.jpg[/img]
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I like the first and third Resident Evil movies, the second I enjoy but I kind of class it as a bad movie as it doesn't seem to know where it's going at any given time. However I don't think he should stop making them as they've done pretty damn well for his career! Also I don't really think that 'faithful to the source material' and 'good' are even remotely related concepts, sometimes the further from it the better, else you'll only please people who are fans (straight to DVD animations anyone?).

People mad that the RE series is mostly action is forgetting that in the games the moment gameplay stops and a cut scene comes in, it's always non-stop action. Hell, the most over-the-top sequence in the second movie is lifted straight out of a game. As for Milla Jovovich's character? Again the second movie felt 'made up as they go along' to me but in the other two, I say not-in-games doesn't necessarily equal bad. She's an action girl fighting zombies, which brings in a whole new audience and introduced Resident Evil to some female friends of mine who would have otherwise considered it to be a mundane game series for boys.

I say let Romero make his 'of the Dead' movies. I mean RE was a ripoff of Night of the Living Dead anyway, then he'd adapt the game essentially remaking his own movie with the name of somebody else's work...

DOOM is supposed to be a bad movie. At least in the way that B-movies are bad movies. Indulgent, ya know? If it had been a genuinely good movie it just wouldn't have been DOOM. But I had and have a great time watching DOOM. I was also thrilled to see monsters which were costumes and prosthetics and not just CG. I mean the most frequent complaint is the change of plot, but I think that to use the plot from the game would have been TOO cheesy (or would have to have been taken so seriously that all the DOOM-ness would be gone, think Event Horizon), as far as a movie made out of that game goes, I think it was pretty much spot on. Cheesy, for-the-sake-of-action plot? Check. Cool monsters running around the corridors? Check. Badass guns? Check. Bullets flying in a UAC facility on mars? Check! I also thought it had interesting, mostly 3-dimensional characters (though some a little predictable), good acting (for the most part) and great sets. A lot of fun in there. Oh, and while it tanked at the cinemas it did well on home video, to the point where they even considered a sequel for a while. The guys at id Software liked it too.

Uwe Boll? I've found some of his movies fun. Never great (usually high budget B-movies) but I had a blast with POSTAL and as for him doing Silent Hill... If any of you guy saw Tunnel Rats you'd realise he'd probably manage to create the intense atmosphere of solitude far better than Christophe Gans, or anybody else for that matter. He'd just need a really good script writer and set designers as he has a tendency to settle for what he can get in those departments.

Silent Hill, the film is one of my favourite movies, possibly my favourite horror movie. And no, I'm not inexperienced, I have copies of The Godfather, Citizen Kane, all the essentials, I just think it does a great job of bringing one of the most atmospheric experiences I ever had into a movie, and turning it into one hell of an awesome film. I like Rose better than Harry, I like the god-fearing witch burners better than the Order, and I'm happy to see Pyramid Head stomping around outside of James' world.

And I'm not a dumb person. I did damn well at school and college and I'm now a graphic designer. I don't have bad taste either, I love most of the classic movies.

So I don't think there really is any kind of 'consensus' as to what films are bad or good, like a lot of us seem to assume once we have the internet. Everybody's different, and just because we don't like something doesn't mean we should act like it shouldn't be made... I hated the two Zelda games on the DS but I don't go around acting like they were 'mistakes' and that Nintendo need to stop making handheld Zelda games... You get my drift.
dr_worm
Just Passing Through

Post by dr_worm »

Deathbywoodenplank wrote:I understand where they might be going with it on the confusing part. Silent Hill (in my opinion) was in no way a bad movie. I love it and have watched it countless times. It's actually one of my favorite movies...

Anyway, I have to admit that I wasn't really into Silent Hill before the movie came out. I heard a lot of good things about the games but never really got my hands on them. That said, I watched the movie for the first time kind of from their perspective; I had no idea what they were talking about. But the plot was SO INVITING! I researched that mofo for 2 months straight. I went to sites, watched movies, logged into blogs, and finally played the games. I owe my entire fan-dom to the movie. I think people don't like it because people don't want to put any effort into understanding a movie. It's a lot of fun having to break down all of the metaphors and symbolism; it's what makes it a true work of art. True, the movie is a little cliche'd and a little hard to figure out, but it's that mysterious feeling you get that makes it so damn awesome 8)

This movie damn well does NOT deserve a spot on that list.

thank you so much going threw this thats exactly what i was thinking. i remember after i seen that movie i was like whole shit why didn't i ever play the games!? i read about them and slowly collected them all. the movie totally didn't deserve to be on that list. the person who made that list is a doucher and half! yeah!....okay......kicks rocks and walks away
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

If it was easy to understand, it wouldn't be Silent Hill.

You two are proof that it's a good movie and did it's job. If it got the game's story to a wider audience, and even got them to the point that they were interested in knowing more and playing the games, I think it's done a damn good job.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Holy One
Just Passing Through

Post by Holy One »

This movie does not belong on any list of "worst video game flicks." It was better than almost anyone predicted, and a labor of love for the fans. I didn't know it opened at number one, though; that's pretty sweet.
THREAD QUESTION: "Does anyone want to date Heather?"
PARTYHARD: "Well, she carries a fuckton of emotional baggage, she's her own mother, used to be a suicidal girl who opened the gates of Hell in a town and would kill people with her brain, she's 31 in a teenage body, she can go on a relentless rampage if you piss her off enough... sure, don't see why not."
SilentScreamer92
Just Passing Through

Post by SilentScreamer92 »

gotta say, i loved the movie, it was hard to follow at times, but after i watched it a few times, i started to get it. i thought the actors were good, and the movie was true to the game, especially in the lighting aspect XD and i loved the otherworld transitions, but thats all my opinion
Doo-glas
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Doo-glas »

I don't care for the Silent Hill movie, but it's still one of the better video game movies

that's saying very little though because at best a video game movie can be cheesy fun (like the Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter movie) and at worst they can be....well Uwe Boll
HeresJohnny
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by HeresJohnny »

SH is the best video game movie In my opinion...so far..couldve been better but oh well, shutup yahoo lol Tomb Raider was only good because of Angelina Jolies boobs, not the film itself, resident evil was only good because of the doberman zombies and the off the wall kick, doom sucked, bloodrayne had nudity and sucked lol but The nudity was good.
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

Unfortunately you do need half a brain to understand this movie, which removes about 90% of the average movie going population. I'd really hate to see what they consider the best video game movies of all time.
emFox
Just Passing Through

Post by emFox »

The more I watch this movie, the more it drives me up a wall. Gratuitous gore from Christoph Gans, stupid dialogue and insipid antagonists and a story incoherent in its telling. If the fans of the games are the only people who could make the plot out, then the filmmakers didn't do a good job establishing the story as its own entity. What's ironic about that, though, is the sheer amount of pointless exposition, to the degree that Cybil has to comment about there "being a fire here" inside a building clearly scorched by flames.

The script Avary originally wrote, while producing a mediocre movie, would've been much better than what Gans morphed it into. There was not only a sense of coherence and mystery, but also certain thematic elements that were more obvious than the ones Gans strangled to death in the film (the idea of faith vs. extremism and religious fanaticism wasn't as face-plantingly stupid in the script). If anything, Avary could come back and at least give us a decent script: Gans can go and take his childish love of gore with him. We don't need that.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

The movie isn't any more gory than the original game it's based off of. It's not as bad as you're making it out to be.

The script was plenty decent and coherent, I don't see why everyone keeps bitching about it.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
DamienPales
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DamienPales »

Because it actually really sucks?

There's a reason why the film has a 0% approval rating in the Top Critics category at Rotten Tomatoes.

Because it actually really sucks.