Was this meant to be in the movie?

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

Joseph
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: Was this meant to be in the movie?

Post by Joseph »

I don't think there's a hidden symbolism at a character's clothes in a movie where even the monsters (almost all of them) of a town which reflects one of the character's psyche have nothing meaningful at all.
Last edited by Joseph on 13 Aug 2010, edited 1 time in total.
http://twitter.com/quieterworlds
Forget it, Jake. This is Chinatown.
simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Post by simeonalo »

This was actually done on PURPOSE. Yes, her top changes from red, white, green, gray, etc. Look at the Bonus Options in the DVD.
Joseph
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Joseph »

IMDb wrote:Around 100 different copies of Rose's outfit were made. It started out with soft summery colors and as the movie progressed it became grayer and eventually blood red. The change in the outfits were so subtle that it was barely noticeable.
A normal person's clothes would actually turn grey when he walks down a town where it rains ashes, and would eventually turn deep red when he is present at several quite bloody events (such as skinning and throat slicing I guess).
It's called washing machine and it wasn't considered as one of Rose's possible choices. Deal with it.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

That doesn't explain it Joseph. If you look closely, it's more than the clothes getting dirty. They're actually different articles of clothing that are naturally that color. Oh, yea, and her clothes are green at one point.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Joseph
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Joseph »

I didn't feel like the filmmakers would give that much of attention to such a subtle touch, while they just put PH in the movie just for the "OMGzzz".
Oh, yea, and her clothes are green at one point.
I would love you to point me that part, since I own the DVD and I would like to see it with my very own eyes.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I didn't feel like the filmmakers would give that much of attention to such a subtle touch, while they just put PH in the movie just for the "OMGzzz".
That was executive meddling, not the decision of the filmmakers. Also, Rose doesn't even get near that much blood. She was already totally red by the time she got to Alessa's room, so the final bloodsplatter doesn't explain anything.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Joseph
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Joseph »

I never really mention the final bloodsplatter at all during my post.
But I'm not surprised her clothes are bloody after: a) a huge portion of blood coming from a woman's skin splashed her and b) she was among several crazy nurse-bitches who were cutting each other's throats.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Joseph wrote:I never really mention the final bloodsplatter at all during my post.
But I'm not surprised her clothes are bloody after: a) a huge portion of blood coming from a woman's skin splashed her and b) she was among several crazy nurse-bitches who were cutting each other's throats.
Rose after PH throws Anna's skin at her:

Rose after the nurses:

Rose in Alessa's hospital room:

The differences are obvious.
Joseph
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Joseph »

Holly molly!o.o
You're right! *crawls inside a hole and dies*
But I still can't think of a symbolism. Maybe it's just for the visual sake of it?
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Clothes changed? No. But she was definitely made to somewhat resemble Heather.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

No and No, Distant.

As for the clothes change and why, well...consider this happens right as she basically turns to Alessa's side and all. Red is also a color of Truth in mythology and such.
Aric - The Reaper
Gravedigger

Post by Aric - The Reaper »

Many often wonder about PH being there, I have an idea.

Maybe PH has appeared from Rose's self-guilt of not listening to Chris or losing Shannon. But some people often say PH also represents sexual desire / fustration. If true, maybe Rose's longing to have a child born from her and Chris.
Lost within this town, Silent Hill. It is cursed...much like me. This letter... this feeling.... What darkness lies within my heart? - Silent Hill 6: Reaper - By A.R.
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

PH was Alessa's executioner. He was her right hand man, in the movie. She controlled him as she controlled pretty much everything.
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
=====================================================
Aric - The Reaper
Gravedigger

True true
Lost within this town, Silent Hill. It is cursed...much like me. This letter... this feeling.... What darkness lies within my heart? - Silent Hill 6: Reaper - By A.R.
kideatsu
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by kideatsu »

This is what I like to believe: The change of the color in Rose's clothes is symbolic of her understanding of the truth about Alessa. It represents how Rose's character changes through the course of the story in a gradual, visual way.
Aric - The Reaper
Gravedigger

I love it when they did that with her clothing, the deeper she understood what happened the more she knew the truth behind the lies, behind the blood curtain.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Joseph wrote:I didn't feel like the filmmakers would give that much of attention to such a subtle touch, while they just put PH in the movie just for the "OMGzzz".
Oh, yea, and her clothes are green at one point.
I would love you to point me that part, since I own the DVD and I would like to see it with my very own eyes.
Bonus Features. Anyways, her clothes do change. However, I don't think there's symbolism deliberately added to it. Sure, you can take symbolism from it, but I believe there was no symbolism at all. I also believe that PH represents the guilt from Dahlia and other peeps and how they need to be punished, and how Alessa uses them to slay/"punish" the townspeople.
Joseph
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Joseph »

paladin181 wrote:PH was Alessa's executioner. He was her right hand man, in the movie. She controlled him as she controlled pretty much everything.
So why would she tell him to kill Rose, the only person who could do anything she wanted
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
(in this case, taking her inside the church)
, just to save her daughter?
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

PH attacks Rose because Alessa is testing her, seeing how far she'll go for Sharon. It's the same reason she makes Rose jump over a giant hole, why she leads Rose to the grey children, and why she makes Rose willingly descend into the darkness. If you'll notice, Alessa lifts the darkness at the exact moment Rose is in the most danger, making sure she's tested her without killing her. As for whether the clothes changes are symbolic, they have to be, or else it would be a major plothole because Cybil's and Rose's clothes change color, but the cultists' clothes don't. The reason the cultists' clothes don't change is because they're immune tp the truth of Alessa- whereas Rose is not.
lyneea
Just Passing Through

Post by lyneea »

Like I said before, I think it's because she's made her choice to stand with Alessa....the innocent pale colours gone and soaked in the metaphorical blood that will be spilt by her choice. I also think it's the line where there's no way back...she's lost to silent hill once she's gone red.

Film makers don't leave anything to chance...they wouldn't put all that effort into things changing colour if they didn't have a reason or symbolic meaning in mind. More often than not, the subtlety is lost on the viewer, but in this film it was clearer.

On a side note...I know this isn't the reason they put it in, but it sort of reminded me of the pictures of the character in the menu when playing...when losing health, going from green to orange to red LOL
[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n39/CBminstrel/silent_hill_banner.jpg[/img]