Who would you choose to pen the screenplay for a sequel?

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

Chuckles
Hope House Careworker

Who would you choose to pen the screenplay for a sequel?

Post by Chuckles »

As a film aficionado, I can assert that a GOOD script is the essential "key" to a good movie. With that in mind, which screenwriter would you choose to pen the screenplay for a sequel?

Here are my picks:

1.) David Lynch, whose line of work includes:

- Mulholland Dr.
- Lost Highway
- Blue Velvet

2.) Alan Ball:

- American Beauty
- Various TV shows, such as: True Blood, Six Feet Under, and Grace Under Fire.

3.) Richard Kelly

- Donnie Darko
- The Box

There's more that don't come to mind at the moment.

Although, if someone like: Federico Fellini were alive, I'd want to work with him. His masterpiece, 8½, still blows me away today. It's as close to cinematic art as you'll ever get.

*Some female screenwriters are taking Hollywood by storm, such as: Lorene Scafaria, and Diablo Cody, whose work I'm really impressed with.

How about you guys?
Are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it?

[img]http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/2219/noname7mx.png[/img]
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Honestly, I think it should be someone who's a no-name who has done in-depth research on the first film and knows the games well.
Chuckles
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chuckles »

It doesn't necessarily have to be a no-name, as long as their work is admirable; though, I do agree that a renowned writer wouldn't invest as much time as someone who has more at stake.
Are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it?

JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

I find that renowned writers have less to prove, so it doesn't matter if they make a bad script. On the other hand, if a no-name botches their first big script, they're SOL.
Shadow Dragon
Just Passing Through

Post by Shadow Dragon »

George Romero, John Carpenter and Wes Craven would be good choices. Though if he was still alive, I'd pick Stanley Kubrik.
"They look like monsters to you?"
angelofROOM302
Historical Society Historian

Post by angelofROOM302 »

I would vote for Stephen King, Pang Brothers or Shinya Tsukamoto to work on this movie. I'm leaning more towards Stephen King though. :mrgreen:
And absolutely no to Richard Kelly. Lol!
Xev

Post by Xev »

Uwe Boll!

ha ha. Well as much as I want to say David Lynch alone, I think i would like to see a collaboration with him and someone else that is very much into the series.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

"Team Silent".
*Dodges a flying shoe*
Chuckles
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chuckles »

Xev, bite your tongue!

I don't know so much about collaboration when it comes to writing. There's always a difference in opinion and it usually ends in conflict.

And why do you say no to Richard Kelly? The man has an understanding of surrealism, which can be beneficial.

simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

It should the the long-term fans at SHHF.

They would understand Silent Hill and not fuck it up.
Xev

Post by Xev »

Chuckles wrote:Xev, bite your tongue!

I don't know so much about collaboration when it comes to writing. There's always a difference in opinion and it usually ends in conflict.

And why do you say no to Richard Kelly? The man has an understanding of surrealism, which can be beneficial.
just kiddn' about the first part lol.
& I wouldnt say no, I would have to see more of his work.

He had a very good joining with Mark Frost for twin peaks and worked very well together. :)
Chuckles
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chuckles »

The last bit about Richard Kelly was directed at angelofROOM302. 8)

Xev

Post by Xev »

iseesaidtheblindmanwhopickeduphishammerandsaw 8)
Chuckles
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chuckles »

Ah, you just reminded me of my high school math teacher who used to say that all the time. She got me suspended. :?

Xev

Post by Xev »

Yea one of my friends used to say it a lot too. Sorry to bring up high school math for you lol
Chuckles
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chuckles »

lol. Yes, I remember it vividly. She informed the class that we'd be having a fun day, so I brought-in a pack of playing cards and a couple of us guys joined our tables together, then proceeded in playing. Not only did she grab the cards away, but she threw them out the window. Of course, I stood-up and stormed out of the class and dropped an F-bomb (Probably not a good idea). Anyway, I walked around the school; I even went to one of the guidance counselors and complained, then eventually I fled to the gymnasium where the disciplinary officer, finally, caught-up with me.

HeresJohnny
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by HeresJohnny »

David Lynch, I totally agree with u there, I'm a big Luc Besson fan myself, but he doesn't do horror. I'm an up and coming filmmaker and I'd do it myself but I do not have the budget or equipment....if I did I would lol. A few short films are in the work under my production company. I would love to share these shorts on the forum when they are finished :) http://www.vimeo.com/10091583
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I would say Lynch of course, or the feller behind Jacob's Ladder, but this is a sequel to the Silent Hill movie which is a little more pop-horror and for a bigger audience, a little more mainstream, so I'd say perhaps whoever wrote Dead End or maybe The Grudge 2.
black plague
Just Passing Through

Post by black plague »

how about Guillermo del Toro? i mean, he's one of the best screen writers ever, and the creator of my fav. horror movies "Master's of Horror" and "The Devils Backbone", a spiritual sequel of "Pan's Labyrinth" . one of his mindfuck movie was the 1993 phsyco-horror "Cronos"... i think he'll do great in silent hill.
"I got a letter. The name on the envelope said, 'Mary'..."
Csilent Ihill
Just Passing Through

Post by Csilent Ihill »

Clearly, Christophe Gans needs assistans and should only handle the visual portion, so I'd choose between a few distinct directors and writers with great competence:

- Adrian Lyne (JACOB'S LADDER, UNFAITHFUL) by his side, or...
- David Lynch...
- Danny Boyle (TRAINSPOTTING, 28 DAYS LATER)
- Neil Marshall (DOG SOLDIERS, THE DESCENT)

Or Mr. Avary might given his circumstances come up with a good script exclusively on his own...
Yeah, well... that is just like, ah, your opinion, man.