Christopher & The Sound of Music (or Lackthereof)

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

Nightmareish Waltzer
Just Passing Through

Christopher & The Sound of Music (or Lackthereof)

Post by Nightmareish Waltzer »

So I've just recently re-watched the film and I dunno why this just occurred to me, but, I've noticed almost no music (I.E. Silent Hill's Score) is played whenever the film's narrative switches from Rose & Cybil back to Christoper (and Gucci, whenever those two had scenes together) outside of those two scenes from the beginning --- when he searches Rose's browser history of the day --- and the end when all is said and done and Christopher is alone in the "Real World" without his family.

...If memory serves me correctly anyhow.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

There is music. I recommend taking another watch.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I don't remember any specific music in Chris' scenes, it may be more subtle if it is there perhaps, but I think they were trying to make Chris' scenes feel more real, since they're occurring in the 'real' world.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I know there's atleast music when he's reading Sharon's file in the orphanage. I haven't seen the movie since 2008, though.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Nightmareish Waltzer
Just Passing Through

Post by Nightmareish Waltzer »

Well, I rewatched it and with the exception the scene where Christopher feels Rose's presence in the Otherworld of Silent Hill (at the school), I was pretty much spot on with the "almost no music" whenever the narrative shifted from Rose/Cybil to Christopher/Gucci after those two scenes I mentioned in the OP. If there was music, it usual began at the very end of his sequence (and the beginning of the Otherworld scene), or ended at of the end of Otherworld sequences and shifted back to his.

I do agree that the lack of music was probably to ground the fact that Christopher was in the "Real World" as opposed to Rose, which the score of Silent Hill was pretty much intended for.
Last edited by Nightmareish Waltzer on 11 Apr 2010, edited 1 time in total.
There's a hole in the wall. Naturally, the smart and sane thing to do would be to stick your hand inside it or crawl through it.
Droo

Post by Droo »

What about the scene at Midwich where Rose runs through Chris? I could have sworn there was music then.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Even if there wasn't music, I find it more likely it was because all of Chris's scenes are very very talky.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I will check on my blu ray disk, I'll watch it again sometime this weekend and listen out for it, then I'll report back.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

I doubt it's any kind of notable deal whether his scenes had music or not. Directors add music based on what kind of impact they think it can add to the scene. Clearly, Gans didn't feel music was necessary to enhance Chris' scenes.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Also sometimes silence can be a specific choice, I know of a lot of movies which chose to use no music at all for particular scenes or even for the entire movie, in some cases substituting certain background noise/sounds for music, such as the sound of a passing train in the Godfather (oh what an amazing scene!). I'm pretty sure if this is right and Chris' scenes have no music, it was so that his scenes further succeed in bringing the viewer 'back to reality'.