As big as the RE movies?

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

Subsistence
Just Passing Through

As big as the RE movies?

Post by Subsistence »

With Silent Hill 2 on the way, do you think that they (Insert movie company name here) will continue to make SH movies? Maybe even to the extent that the RE movies were produced? I would LOVE to see a CGI SH movie... :)
"What the hell is this? >:| "

- Henry Townsend
homgitsmike
Just Passing Through

Post by homgitsmike »

If it turns into the cash cow that the RE series has turned in to I don't see why they wouldn't. I imagine there are lots of people who already loathe the release of the first one but i'm happy so long as there's a half-decent film to watch.
CGi seems like a good idea, so long as they don't branch into 3D.
his_fate
Just Passing Through

Post by his_fate »

I guess it all depends on how the next one goes. I feel that RE is probably a better cash-cow for movie companies as it appeals to a large group - i.e. teenage males who like zombies and gore. Where as SH is a bit 'deeper' and asks more from the audience (unless they crap all over that in the second movie !).

RE1 made $102 mil at the box office, RE2 $129 mil, RE3 $147 mil so it's obviously a success. SH didn't even make $100 mil and the budget was higher too ($50 mil).

Let's hope that it will go on to be a franchise though as at least we can see a few directors have a shot at it.
Subsistence
Just Passing Through

Post by Subsistence »

IMO after watching all of the RE movies, then watching the Silent Hill movie, it's obvious what film had the high budget. But who can honestly say that the RE movies are more interesting to watch? Gun, explosions, hot chicks... All typically Hollywood guff.

I feel the reason why the Silent Hill film wasn't a major success was becuase there wasn't much of an audience for it. When the film came out, casual movie goers weren't in anticipation for it, and even fans were caught by surprise becuase there wasn't much hype surrounding it and there was no Silent Hill game that came out before it that refreshed people's memory of the series.

But all in all, Silent Hill was one of the best video game based movies. I mean come on, Doom?

- Henry Townsend
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

I would love to see the SH movie series to become as popular as the RE movies, just as long as they don't compromise the integrity of the games in order to make a quick buck.

The RE movies are entertaining and all but they are in no way similiar to the games except for the zombies, the corporation, and some of the characters. But clearly it worked out.

The Silent Hill movie did everything it could to use elements of the game and at least attempted to be similiar to the games and look how poorly it did, both critically and financially. I'm sure though if they looked at what worked and what didn't work in the first movie and made something special in their second attempt, they could pull off something that could please both the fans and the general public which could result in more sequels.
Bitch, don't kill my vibe.
simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Post by simeonalo »

Yes, but please do not let it stray from the original, like what RE (sadly) did.
Diabolic Dreams
Just Passing Through

Post by Diabolic Dreams »

I truely hope to see several more SH movies. The only good RE movie was the first, after that it differed too much from the games, the only way you could recognize it as RE were the umbrella symbols and the zombies.
I do fear that the same fate will befall SH if they keep making them though. The first movie got poor reviews from the mere fact that the critics were too dumb to follow the plot. The second SH movie had already been announced as "dumbed down" to appeal to a more general audience, but I still cant wait to see it!
The best of nothing left...
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

I would hope so.

But I don't think it's really going to. Silent Hill 2 has been pushed back like freaking hell and movies that have that low of a following are not that successful. If the freaking movie would have started filming or so kind of right after the first one, maybe it would be more successful.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

There are a multitude of reasons why films get caught in development hell- everything from lack of funding to trouble with the actors to not being able to get the right person to work on the film, etc, etc. But if Don Carmody keeps pushing it like it sounds like he's doing, then it should get through eventually. The key to a film being made is someone having the willpower to keep trying, no matter the pitfalls, and I think Don has the willingness to do that for Silent Hill. At least, I hope he does.
Subsistence
Just Passing Through

Post by Subsistence »

On a similar note, do you guys anticipate the new Silent Hill movie is going to be better then the first?

- Henry Townsend
Plague
Just Passing Through

Post by Plague »

I hope so.

I hate CG to death, but for Silent Hill, I actually wouldn't mind. Although, it'd be interesting if they made an anime movie of it.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Hm. Well, horror is a genre which really lends itself to sequels and long-running franchises. Resident Evil is far more popular because of it's focus on action though, which is also present in the games (you're an idiot if you haven't noticed the amount of over-the-top action in the whole series' cut scenes, particularly 2 onwards, and in the actual gameplay in the recent two games as well)...

If you mean as big as RE as in popularity, I don't think it'll get there. However it does have potential to become a pretty awesome horror movie series, yes. As we've learned in the games, the town can successfully tell all different kinds of horror stories from deep psychological character study (SH2, SH:SM) to self-realisation (SH3) to claustrophobia (SH4) to childhood trauma (SH0) to pop-horror (SH1, SH:H, SH Movie) without ever having to compromise the atmosphere and the character of the town. At the same time though, with things varying so much, audiences get divided. People drop in and out of the series depending on which is their favourite take on it - SH2 purists tend to despise SH:H whilst people more fond of the original game may welcome it - SH:H fans might be disappointed by Shattered Memories, and fans of SH1-3 may find 4 to be too off-putting. If the movie series chooses to take the same 'anthology series' route I can imagine fans will drop in and out on a larger scale, and hardcore fans of SH2 for example may cringe at the very thought of another pop-horror Silent Hill after the movie and Homecoming.

Personally I say bring it on. I'd happily watch 20 Silent Hill movies, all with completely different takes on the town, but I'm not sure how popular that opinion is, at least with the fans.
Subsistence
Just Passing Through

Post by Subsistence »

DistantJ wrote: Personally I say bring it on. I'd happily watch 20 Silent Hill movies, all with completely different takes on the town, but I'm not sure how popular that opinion is, at least with the fans.
My thoughts exactly. Any Silent Hill Movie is better then NO Silent hill Movie.

- Henry Townsend
Goodnight

Post by Goodnight »

Subsistence wrote: My thoughts exactly. Any Silent Hill Movie is better then NO Silent hill Movie.
I emphatically disagree.

You weren't here when the movie was released, explaining and re-explaining the actual plot of the series to people posting here, because it differs so drastically from the plot of the movie. It became very frustrating for those of us who spent months setting people straight.

I'm glad that the film brought in new fans; without them, Silent Hill could obviously sink into obscurity. However, saying 'any Silent Hill movie is better than no movie' is just ridiculous. Bad movies hurt any franchise they belong to. Do you honestly think that, say, a Uwe Boll-directed Silent Hill movie would be better than no movie at all?

Could you please explain what possible good could come out of a bad Silent Hill movie? People find the series difficult enough to understand when they play the games. If umpteen Silent Hill movies are released (especially if they don't follow canon), people are going to find it progressively more difficult to transition into the games. They might even decide the games are needlessly complicated and give up on them - I have seen several posters here who joined because they liked the movie but became frustrated and confused with canon and abandoned the series before they were ever really fans.

Frankly, I enjoyed the Resident Evil movies for what they were. Essentially, Resident Evil as a series is gaming's answer to B-grade horror-action movies. The movies are no different from the games in that respect, nor do they try to be. The Silent Hill movie wasn't exactly high art, either.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

No one ever claimed the SH movie exactly followed the games, and anyone who knows anything about VG movies knows it's extremely unlikely that they would follow the same plot. If someone has played the games and can't figure out that it's a totally different plotline than the movie, then they're an idiot. If someone assumes the game is the same as the movie, and asks about it here, it takes a single link to the SH1 page on silenthill.wikia.com to set them straight. If they still don't get it, then we're back to the idiot factor. If anyone gets that frustrated that they stop the entire series of games because they aren't like the movie, then I'm willing to bet money they'd have found another reason to not like the games.
Goodnight

Post by Goodnight »

"No one ever claimed the SH movie exactly followed the games, and anyone who knows anything about VG movies knows it's extremely unlikely that they would follow the same plot."

Yes, I know that.

My point was, as you just pointed out, that the films do not follow the plot of the games.

People who can't, or had great difficulty understanding the plot of the games after seeing the movie first are not idiots. Maybe you're brilliant and understood everything there was to know about the first game completely on your first playthrough, without any outside help. Most people don't, and that's without having seen a movie first that totally contradicts major plot points across two different games.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

People who can't, or had great difficulty understanding the plot of the games after seeing the movie first are not idiots.
You're seriously telling me that there are people that can play through an entire game that very, very, very obviously has a different plotline, and still get it confused with the movie's plot, but they're not idiots? Really? The storyline differences are obvious from the very intro. For starters, the main character is a man, not to mention that Cybil is suddenly being friendly, Cheryl is seen being found on the side of the road, and characters who had no import in the movie are shown (if they even made it to the movie at all). If these people are seriously trying to force the plots to coalesce, even after it's made very clear that they're two different stories, then that's their own problem.
Maybe you're brilliant and understood everything there was to know about the first game completely on your first playthrough, without any outside help.
No need to be insulting and snide. No one understood the plot on the first playthrough. But I damned sure was smart enough to figure out it didn't have the movie's plot. Anyone who plays the game should be able to ascertain that. It's incredibly freaking obvious.
Most people don't, and that's without having seen a movie first that totally contradicts major plot points across two different games.
Most people are smart enough to figure out that different characters, different character motivations, different monsters, different settings, and different events = different plotlines.

ETA: You say these people refuse to play the series because the plots are different from the movie, and so they can't figure it out. And yet they're posting on this board. There's a wealth of information just in the quick links in every game section, yet alone the threads that aren't stickied. Or they could simply go to Wikia or Wikipedia. It's really not that hard to figure out the game when you have sources everywhere explaining it. If they're really so frustrated because they don't get the game's plot and they don't want to look to online resources to learn it, then they would have become frustrated with the game anyway, and the result would be exactly the same. Despite the different plotline, the movie brought in a wealth of new fans and new money to the franchise. I highly doubt the number of people who quit the series because they couldn't wrap their brains around the fact that the game and movie were entirely different is anywhere near the number of new fans brought in.
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Subsistence wrote:On a similar note, do you guys anticipate the new Silent Hill movie is going to be better then the first?
I don't think it will be better, but I hope that it will be.
I really did love the first one. I hope with this film that they can make more sense of it and create a better ending sequence of events instead of the mess that was the first.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Goodnight wrote:You weren't here when the movie was released, explaining and re-explaining the actual plot of the series to people posting here, because it differs so drastically from the plot of the movie. It became very frustrating for those of us who spent months setting people straight.
No offense, but I don't think this really matters... I mean it never hurt any Spider-Man fans to have to say "Peter made his own web shooters"... They made a plot based on that of the original Silent Hill which works better as a movie. Personally I like the movie's plot even more than that of the game, I find it far more intimidating to have deeply religious people with 100% conviction to their faith than a handful of evil people being evil, and some of the stuff just works better when it's more simple... But anyway each to their own on that one, my point is that a difference in plot isn't a problem, and I don't really think that those following the movie 'have it wrong', in the movie it's one way, in the game it's another way, in Shattered Memories it's yet another way. None of them are wrong.
Do you honestly think that, say, a Uwe Boll-directed Silent Hill movie would be better than no movie at all?
Actually, having seen Tunnel Rats and SEED, Boll would probably be one of my first choices, provided somebody good wrote the screenplay. Have you seen the kind of atmosphere the guy can create when he has something good to work with? I've never, ever felt as alone and claustrophobic in a movie as I did in Tunnel Rats, in fact I often found myself comparing the atmosphere in the tunnels to that of being in the labyrinth in Silent Hill 2, and SEED is the only horror movie I've ever been too upset by to ever watch again (granted, I wouldn't want SH to go THAT far, but my point still stands). I've heard that Darfur and Rampage are just as brilliant. A few hammy action movies based on hammy action games does not a bad director make. Please see those two movies before you knock what I've said here, by the way.
Could you please explain what possible good could come out of a bad Silent Hill movie? People find the series difficult enough to understand when they play the games. If umpteen Silent Hill movies are released (especially if they don't follow canon), people are going to find it progressively more difficult to transition into the games. They might even decide the games are needlessly complicated and give up on them - I have seen several posters here who joined because they liked the movie but became frustrated and confused with canon and abandoned the series before they were ever really fans.
Is that the movie's fault? We have the first game, then a completely unrelated sequel, then a sequel to the first game, then one very loosely related to the unrelated sequel, then a prequel, then a vague sequel, then a total reboot of the original story, then a return to the pre-reboot continuity (whatever there was of it).

You also talk about a "bad movie" as if it's universal. Sure, there are critics and "Rotten Tomatoes" meters and all that, but there are still tastes and opinions, which are never, ever, unanimous, no matter what some group of up-their-own-ass critics might like to believe.
Frankly, I enjoyed the Resident Evil movies for what they were. Essentially, Resident Evil as a series is gaming's answer to B-grade horror-action movies. The movies are no different from the games in that respect, nor do they try to be.
I'm glad you think so. :) I also love those movies for the same reason, but while they have the same spirit as the games, I would think that there would be an equal amount of confusion for anybody transitioning from the movies to the games, wondering where Alice is and what Las Plagas (or whatever) is, but that doesn't matter, it doesn't take long to adjust to the different universes and anybody in the right mind knows that movie franchises and games/comics/books which they're based on tend to differ in many ways.
Goodnight

Post by Goodnight »

I'm insulting and snide, but you're calling people idiots?

Uwe Boll is a top choice as a director?

I'm out. And for the record, I wasn't being snide, nor was I trying to insult you. However, I don't think it was a fair play to make an insulting generalisation about people who aren't here to defend themselves. I don't agree with either of you, and I posted because I wanted answers to my questions from the OP. Since he has declined to post and this is just an argument that will go in circles, I'm declining to continue posting.