Similarities I hadn't realised were there...

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

lyneea
Just Passing Through

Similarities I hadn't realised were there...

Post by lyneea »

I played Silent Hill 1 first, and way back when it was close to new coming out. I played it a few times more after, but still years ago.

Then I saw the film and thought 'I like it, but it's really not all that similar to the game at all'.

Then I replayed Silent Hill 1 just recently and as I was playing kept going 'oh! That's in the film! I forget that was in this too!'...and I realised there were a lot of moments in the film that were actually from the original game and I'd just forgotten about it. This included even tiny details, like camera/shot angles.

I think the biggest one for me was...
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
...the barbed wire corpse in the last toilet in the school...I had completely forgotten that was in the game!
Did anyone else have a similar realisation on replaying the game after seeing the film?
[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n39/CBminstrel/silent_hill_banner.jpg[/img]
The Adversary
RESPECT

Re: Similarities I hadn't realised were there...

Post by The Adversary »

My favorite nod from the film to Silent Hill is toward the beginning when Rose is trekking through the alley and bumps into something. It's impossible for first-time players of the original game not to bump into that trashcan in the way while the camera quickly becomes more and more disorienting.

I literally laughed in the theater the first time I saw it.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Kenji
Historical Society Historian

Post by Kenji »

Yeah, I remember squirming with glee throughout that recreation of the opening scene. Even the disorienting overhead camera made it into the movie.

Ignoring the story or dialogue, which is fairly divisive, the visual style was a real treat. Gans and his cinematographers paid an excellent visual homage.
Mr. Domino
Just Passing Through

Post by Mr. Domino »

Yeah my single favorite shot in the entire movie is the panning of rose walking through the alleyway, where the camera shifts sideways, then corrects itself as she turns. One of those moments that just goes to prove that games and movies don't necessarily have to be as far apart as most people think.
I'm not a self-righteous, egotistical, arrogant bastard - but I play one on the internet!
his_fate
Just Passing Through

Post by his_fate »

Yes, in fact on the special edition Japanese release DVD box (that includes Bluray) they have a short section in the extras that compares the in-game and movie camera angles in split-screen.
lyneea
Just Passing Through

Post by lyneea »

The Adversary wrote:My favorite nod from the film to Silent Hill is toward the beginning when Rose is trekking through the alley and bumps into something. It's impossible for first-time players of the original game not to bump into that trashcan in the way while the camera quickly becomes more and more disorienting.

I literally laughed in the theater the first time I saw it.
Good pick! It was those kinds of details that made me feel that there were at least some people working on that project with genuine affection for the game.
[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n39/CBminstrel/silent_hill_banner.jpg[/img]
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

his_fate wrote:Yes, in fact on the special edition Japanese release DVD box (that includes Bluray) they have a short section in the extras that compares the in-game and movie camera angles in split-screen.
That sounds kind of cool.
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

I really want to get a hold of the japaniese version of the DVD because the extras on it sound amazing! I dont understand why the UK version never got these extras.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

It's because they needed exclusive content for the Japanese version so that the Japanese people wouldn't simply import the cheaper international versions.

Or, that's my theory at least since that's what they do with music.