One question, possible plot hole. *Possible Spoilers...*

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

Trauma_
Gravedigger

One question, possible plot hole. *Possible Spoilers...*

Post by Trauma_ »

The movie is totally ridden with plot holes and inconsitencies and the like, But don't get me wrong, i'm not going to nitpick about it, I'm not one of those pretentious circlejerkers constantly whining about the movie and go on and on about how PH was a symbol of Jame's sexual repression/punisher/blah blah blah. (I actually have a different theory about this, but that's beside the point and i'll post it some other time). All the while talking abouut 2 as if it was the only game in the series.
In short, i'm not like that, but here's something that's bugged me for a while...

-When Alessa was being burned, and the bowl (or whateverthefuckthatwas) knocked over causing the fire, how in the hell in this unniverse or any other would a small fire like that cause a huge coal mine fire? That was barely a 2 alarm blaze, and could easily have been extinguished since if I remember correctly, the floor was made of stone or some kind of marble, a few tableclothes caught fire and such. I know Alessa was psychic or whatever, but that's a pretty lousy way to explain it. I know that Alessa was being kept at the hospital after the fire, but it never explais that the hospital was exactly in Silent Hill.

Which brings me to sum up that TL;DR with this...
Was it the ritual fire that got out of the hand that was the cause of the coal mine fire, or was there something else? Or have I just discovered a plot hole?
SilentWren
Historical Society Historian

Re: One question, possible plot hole. *Possible Spoilers...*

Post by SilentWren »

To be truthful, I think it was a plot hole.

I didn't understand a lot of the movie, but I was going into it with the mindset of a game fan.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

Didn't the coal fire start when Alessa's dark half materialised in the hospital and dragged the town into the otherworld? Then again, it's been a while since I've seen the movie. Was the coal fire real, or just an excuse to keep people away from the town?
Trauma_
Gravedigger

Post by Trauma_ »

No idea, that's what I was wondering, it never said Alessa was in the hospital in Silent Hill (as far as I remember). But with some of the writing in that movie, I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a plot hole.

I think the coal fire was real, since Officer Gucci told Rose's husband to put his mask back on when they were searching around the town...
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

^I thought she was in Alchemilla, but it's been too long since I saw the movie. They were going with a little of the original game, lolz.

I just thought it was weird that The Cult turned into Christian fanatics. It made me wanna scream. I guess it fit, but just...uhhhh....

But I honestly don't remember how the coal fire started. I THOUGHT it was from Alessa's burning getting out of hand, but I could be wrong.

Where the heck is everyone? They're normally correcting me by now.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

The church sat right on top of the coal mines and the coals trapped under the pit burned down through the floor and lit up the mines beneath the town. That's why there's a giant hole in the middle of the church. According to the articles Chris reads, once the fire hit the mines it spread fast, causing the town to have to be evacuated overnight. While all that was going on, Alessa split her soul and created Dark Alessa and the Otherworld.
I just thought it was weird that The Cult turned into Christian fanatics.
The cult isn't Christian.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

^Ahhh...THERE it is.

I'm confused, though. Christabella was quoting the bible and stuff.

JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

According to the old script, they're Manicheans. Though that scene never made it into the final movie, Christabella blames Christianity for the downfall of humanity (apparently, she has a major issue with the concept of forgiveness as taught by Jesus).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manichaeism
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

^Wow. I missed all that completely.Was any of that on the DVD?

Seems to fit, though. *brushes hands together with a sense of accomplishment*

It makes me wonder, after watching TRSHE, why Homecoming had those burning man holes. I've got a lot more thinking to do about the movie.

*thinks deeply*

JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

That comes entirely from the original script, though it's possible part of it was filmed since Gans said a scene with Christabella was cut from the final version.

http://www.mypdfscripts.com/screenplays/silent-hill
Trauma_
Gravedigger

Post by Trauma_ »

Ahhh, ok that makes sense then. I didn't actually notice that hole in the floor. I thought that just appeared after Alessa appeared and decided to go nuts with the barbed wire...
Last edited by Trauma_ on 17 Nov 2010, edited 1 time in total.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

What I mean is there's a hole in the floor of the church Alessa was burned in, not the church the cultists were hiding in (though there certainly is now :lol: ). Rose jumps over the hole to get to Dark Alessa, and the pictures Chris sees in Alessa's file show the same large hole.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

^^Gotta be careful with the rape jokes around here.

People got overly sensitive about those....blame pyramid head, lol.

Actually, can the next mod that reads this find a way to put that in the rules? (if it wasn't added already when I wasn't looking) I don't think the newer people know some of the more specific stuff like that.

JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

I'm curious, Trauma, you said the film had a bunch of inconsistencies and plotholes. The only inconsistency I've been able to find is Sharon's age vs. Alessa's (though that may very well not be a plothole at all so much as something they didn't explain very well), what have you seen? Unless you're talking about inconsistencies between game story and movie story.
Trauma_
Gravedigger

Post by Trauma_ »

Well, not so much plot holes, but kind of "why the hell would she do that" moments.

I know that (as far as I know) Sharon trying to get back to Silent Hill may have been Alessa's split soul trying to reunite again, but taking her daughter to a place just because her daughter had a bunch of sleepwalking/talking episodes. I mean you wouldn't exactly see my parents rushing out to the golden gate bridge if I kept saying "jump off the golden gate bridge" over and over in my sleep.

I'm not making excuses, but i'm too tired to remember the ones I had in mind earlier so i'll sleep on it and add the rest in later..
Trauma_
Gravedigger

Post by Trauma_ »

I actually thought that hole was just an extra part of the hotel, but then again I might be wrong. It did show a shot of the hotel during the flashback scene.

And sorry about the rape joke, :P. Couldn't figure out any other way to put it.

That actually clears a ton of stuff up for me though.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

I know that (as far as I know) Sharon trying to get back to Silent Hill may have been Alessa's split soul trying to reunite again, but taking her daughter to a place just because her daughter had a bunch of sleepwalking/talking episodes. I mean you wouldn't exactly see my parents rushing out to the golden gate bridge if I kept saying "jump off the golden gate bridge" over and over in my sleep.
It's true that Rose's decision wasn't smart, but it's designed to show two things: A) she's at her wit's end and is desperate to stop Sharon from being institutionalized, even if it means defying the law and her husband, and B) Rose is exactly the kind of mother Alessa wants- one who will do anything for her child. If Rose hadn't made that rash decision to rush Sharon to Silent Hill, Alessa would have never accepted her as an adequate mother, and Rose would have lost Sharon forever. It's also notable that doctors and medicines weren't helping Sharon, meaning she would have to be institutionalized for her own safety. Since there's no cure for her disorder (at least not one the doctors knew about), Rose knew this meant Sharon would likely be spending the rest of her life in an institution. While that still doesn't make Rose's choice to go to Silent Hill totally rational, it does help explain her state of mind.
I actually thought that hole was just an extra part of the hotel, but then again I might be wrong. It did show a shot of the hotel during the flashback scene.
Here's a look at the hole from the top down:
Trauma_
Gravedigger

Post by Trauma_ »

JKristine35 wrote:
It's true that Rose's decision wasn't smart, but it's designed to show two things: A) she's at her wit's end and is desperate to stop Sharon from being institutionalized, even if it means defying the law and her husband, and B) Rose is exactly the kind of mother Alessa wants- one who will do anything for her child. If Rose hadn't made that rash decision to rush Sharon to Silent Hill, Alessa would have never accepted her as an adequate mother, and Rose would have lost Sharon forever. It's also notable that doctors and medicines weren't helping Sharon, meaning she would have to be institutionalized for her own safety. Since there's no cure for her disorder (at least not one the doctors knew about), Rose knew this meant Sharon would likely be spending the rest of her life in an institution. While that still doesn't make Rose's choice to go to Silent Hill totally rational, it does help explain her state of mind.
Here's a look at the hole from the top down:
Yeah, that's actually what I was thinking. And I see what you're talking about now with the hole.
pink_isnt_well000

Post by pink_isnt_well000 »

SilentWren wrote:^^Gotta be careful with the rape jokes around here.

People got overly sensitive about those....blame pyramid head, lol.

Actually, can the next mod that reads this find a way to put that in the rules? (if it wasn't added already when I wasn't looking) I don't think the newer people know some of the more specific stuff like that.
There are members here who are actual rape victims. It isn't being overly sensitive.
Trauma_
Gravedigger

Post by Trauma_ »

I'll remove it now then,,,