Cybil and the elevator... *Possible spoilers*

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Garland
Just Passing Through

Cybil and the elevator... *Possible spoilers*

Post by Mr Garland »

In brookhaven hospital when Rose is in the elevator and Cybil pulls off that small metal pipe which causes the elevevator doors to close, why doesnt she go INSIDE the elevator with rose Then release the pipe? it would have saved her alot of pain in the future

Did she do it as a distraction so the guys would attack her to buy rose some time to go down, or do you think that the writer just didnt think of that?

Im just a bit confused so thoughts or answers are very much needed

thank you :)

Sorry if something like this has been posted before
<i> Broken Dreams, Shattered By Reality, Cannot Be Fixed...
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Re: Cybil and the elevator... *Possible spoilers*

Post by AuraTwilight »

She was trying to buy Rose time.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

My girlfriend was wondering the same thing and I told her pretty much what Aura posted.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

***********Yes, I know there's no real evidence for this theory**********

I actually think that Alessa may have had a part in Cybil's sudden decision to surrender. That strange look on her face makes me think that Alessa may have "suggested" to her that she give in and go along with them, that she might be able to help Sharon in case Rose doesn't find her before they do by being in their presence. This lines up with my belief that Alessa also "suggested" to Christabella where Sharon was to be found (i.e., "The truth is clear to those who see. Just as I saw you hid this child."). Alessa may even have given a suggestion to Rose when she saw the Silent Hill sign. Yeah, I know that's a hard one to prove, but it's my personal take on it.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

So basically Alessa intentionally organized every detail of the final half in order to set up the dominos for her ultimate revenge? Nice.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

That's what I personally suspect may have happened. Though if it's true, that says a lot about Alessa - and it's not good. Then again, she happily ruined the lives of Rose and Chris for her own enjoyment and forced Anna to live in her world, despite that she was innocent of the torture Alessa had been through (the script lists Anna as 30 at the time of the film's events, and the Brahams Herald says it happened within 3 days of the 30th anniversary of the fire, which means Anna was a very young baby when Alessa was burned, yet Alessa still dragged her into her world - just for being the daughter of someone who hurt her). But the first 2 parts are offset by Rose choosing Sharon, and therefore choosing Alessa. It's even more sad to think that Alessa willingly had Cybil killed so she could get her revenge.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yea, but then on the other hand, Alessa DID split off her very goodness, so the form of Alessa who did all this is like....literally pure evil by metaphysical consequence until she reintegrated herself.

This doesn't explain the Anna problem, but perhaps she was still in her mother's womb when it happened.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

That is true.
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

I believe Alessa having Anna killed is a way to illustrate how she really has been split apart from all her goodness. This maybe was meant to show Alessa's motivation to gain back her good half so she can relieve herself of this utterly dark hatred.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Having read one of the original scripts Cybil was supposed to be injured badly before they even arrived at the Church and never went with them to the hospital.

In the film they had to get her back somehow... so it looked like the elevator shaft was only operable by a switch from outside and someone had to pull it, so Cybil could not go in with her because after Christabella saw the picture of Sharon in her locket she was unwilling to let them proceed. Cybil had no choice but to remain outside and send Rose down in the hopes of her finding her daughter.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

There was no switch outside the elevator. All Cybil did was remove the piece of pipe they were using to keep it closed, which Rose could easily have done from the inside.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Except Rose is weak and useless.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

JKristine35 wrote:There was no switch outside the elevator. All Cybil did was remove the piece of pipe they were using to keep it closed, which Rose could easily have done from the inside.
Yeah that's what I meant. It looked like something someone from outside had to do it. The door would close fast and you wouldn't want your hand to be in the way from inside. If it got caught it would just make things worse and the elevator possibly wouldn't have moved.
NeoRanger
Just Passing Through

Post by NeoRanger »

"Buy time" sounds as good as anything. After all, Christabella was already on to Rose about Sharon and there was no way of knowing for either of the two heroins whether or not the cult could just pull the elevator back up if they both went inside.
I believe Alessa having Anna killed is a way to illustrate how she really has been split apart from all her goodness.
I always thought Alessa had Anna killed simply because the latter was about to throw another rock at her mommy. That is, assuming she needed any extra reason to kill someone that lived in her nightmare.
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

^ Yeah, that and many other reasons. Anna had to go, or there was likely going to be a very crazy cat fight.

The elevator thing...I think it's really just because Cybil wanted to buy Rose time, and a way to achieve a dramatic scene, and to show something about Cybil's character, and the cult. I remember my Dad saying something like "Well damn, THEY'RE the witches!" after this scene when we watched the movie.

It would have been a very different scene if Cybil just hopped on the elevator with Rose to get away from the bad guys, don't you think? Would have said a few things different about her character, anyway, and would have cut out a very brutal, cinematic scene...
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3