Inverted Trinity Symbolism

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

JKristine35
Subway Guard

Inverted Trinity Symbolism

Post by JKristine35 »

When Rose speaks with Dark Alessa in Alessa's hospital room, Dark Alessa makes two different statements about herself and Sharon, both containing metaphorical and literal content. At first glance, her metaphors seem random, put there solely for the reason of "LOLSYMBOLISM". But what if they're not? What if Dark Alessa is tying herself, Alessa, and Sharon together both on a literal and symbolic level all at the same time? The literal connection is obvious, consisting of "She is Alessa/ I'm the dark part of Alessa/ the little girl is what's left of her goodness", establishing Sharon/Alessa/Dark Alessa as three entities all sharing one identity. But it's unclear how "I have many names/ She's not your child, she's hers" connect to each other.

My thoughts are this: Dark Alessa is metaphorically referring to herself, Alessa, and Sharon as an inverted Holy Trinity, an opposite to the Father/Son/Holy Ghost unity seen in the Bible. It's already known from interviews with Gans that the whole movie is wrapped in religious metaphor, particularly the duality of the three incarnations of Alessa, so it's not a huge leap of logic to deduce that Gans wanted Dark Alessa to reference the Holy Trinity in her speech to Rose. Dark Alessa's claim to have "many names" could easily be invoking the concept of the Holy Ghost, which is known by dozens of names throughout Biblical writings. She then immediately makes reference to Sharon being Alessa's "child" (though this is physically impossible), which draws a mother-daughter parallel between Alessa and Sharon. Put together, "I have many names/ She's not your child, she's hers" could easily be seen to mean that the three aspects of Alessa form an inversion of the Holy Trinity, an Unholy Trinity consisting of Mother (Alessa)/Daughter (Sharon)/Unholy Ghost (Dark Alessa). This would work with the literal aspects of Dark Alessa's speech tying herself, Sharon, and Alessa together as three incarnations of one person, meaning her speech is working on two different levels: a symbolic level that ties all three of them together, and a literal level that also ties all three of them together. IMO, this was likely intentionally added to further the film's already overwhelming religious symbolsim.
Aerith Gainsborough
Historical Society Historian

Re: Inverted Trinity Symbolism

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

I've actually thought that, myself, though never really mentioned it on here since I never had a need to. It makes even more sense due to the fact that Alessa is like the 'God' of the Other and Fog worlds of Silent Hill. The movie, like you said, has so much religious symbolism, shown through the church, the worship of a single God, and even biblical passages.

I really like how you worded it all, though. It all flows very well and it all makes sense.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Re: Inverted Trinity Symbolism

Post by AuraTwilight »

Really awesome. I had this vague idea but didn't know how to put it in words.

Sharon being a Jesus analog kind of hammers home the fact that Rose is a self-sacrificing "Mary" and that she and Sharon used to live in "heaven."
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]