2004 Silent Hill Script

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

JKristine35
Subway Guard

2004 Silent Hill Script

Post by JKristine35 »

So after doing some digging, I turned up the 2004 version of the Silent Hill script. There are several changes that were made between this script and what appears in the movie:

*Rose, Sharon, and Chris' last names are De Salva instead of Da Silva.
*The opening scene was supposed to be Sharon in a hospital being diagnosed with a rare disorder
*Dark Alessa never says the words 'I have many names', and she doesn't refer to herself as 'the dark part of Alessa'. Instead, when asked who she is, her answer is "Alessa." She then goes on to say that "This whole world is Alessa." She is also referred to as 'Alessa', 'young Alessa', and 'little Alessa' throughout the script.
*Dark Alessa was never supposed to come to Alessa's bed and make a deal with her. In the script, Alessa causes the dimensions to shift for the first time by herself. Dark Alessa's creation is never shown.
*Alessa's teasing scene was supposed to be much more violent. The other children were supposed to kick, scratch, and punch her.
*The ending was supposed to have Rose and Alessa/Sharon return to the real world, but then a mirror shows that Sharon/Alessa is still surrounded by the dark world, and she continues to draw the same images that Dark Alessa was seen drawing in the film.
*Christabella refers to Alessa as 'Samael' at different points.
*The script contains the cut scene of Anna being attacked by a Lying Figure
*It also contains the cut scene of Cybil and Rose searching for a map of the town
*Sharon and Dark Alessa are supposed to grab each other's hands before Sharon passes out

The script can be found here: http://www.mypdfscripts.com/screenplays/silent-hill
crazyhorse
Just Passing Through

Post by crazyhorse »

That sounds like the 2004 script would have made a better movie. It seems like that script was a little more obscure than the movie which would have been better. The flash back sequence in the final film was a little much. Is that in the 2004 script? In fact, the whole movie should have implied less and let the audience do their own pondering about what was happening like the games. The sense of the uncanny was lessened as a result. It was a nice looking film though.
[img]http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz157/nogchoceek/Avatars/uncanny.jpg[/img]
"Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster; and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you."
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

The flashback scene was included in the script, though it was shorter and had more dialogue- in particular between Christabella and Dahlia. Dark Alessa wasn't supposed to narrate it though, and Rose was supposed to literally be in that world, which is why the Behind-The-Scenes clips show Rose at Alessa's burning.
I also think the old script makes it much more clear what the alternate worlds are, as well as what Dark Alessa is. When asked who she is, Dark Alessa's answer was 'Alessa.' and she was then supposed to say 'This whole world is Alessa.' The final scene was also supposed to show Sharon sitting next to a mirror, which showed the dark world all around her.
ETA: More things I noticed in this script
*Alessa and Sharon are both supposed to be blonde.
*It is never stated in this version of the script that Sharon is adopted, and one of Chris' lines at the end makes it clear that she is the biological child of Rose and Chris
*Dahlia knew that Christabella was going to kill her child. She willingly gave up Alessa and never went to get the police, though she knew Alessa was going to be burned.
*The Mannequins from SH2 and the Pendulums from SH3 appeared in this draft, though the Creepers weren't added until a later rewrite
*The cultists were all supposed to have the same pale blue eye color
Deadbolt
Just Passing Through

Post by Deadbolt »

*Alessa and Sharon are both supposed to be blonde.
*Dahlia knew that Christabella was going to kill her child. She willingly gave up Alessa and never went to get the police, though she knew Alessa was going to be burned.
*The cultists were all supposed to have the same pale blue eye color
Holy shit, aside from those three I quoted, it looks like this movie would've been BADASS. Why the fuck did they change this shit?
Waiting_for_you
Just Passing Through

Post by Waiting_for_you »

It also says Sharon is blond...

Also, this movie looks fuckin' epic.
You know you can follow my voice
Through the dark turns and noise
Of this wicked little town
kumiko
Gravedigger

Post by kumiko »

hey some of the points you found in the 04 script believe or not they actually made a few scenes for but never included in the final cut but it is interesting none the less :D I only highlighted the below two because in another thread of yours the rare pics one it shows the later and Anna getting attacked I remember in one of the making of SH it showed that scene being filmed
*The script contains the cut scene of Anna being attacked by a Lying Figure
*It also contains the cut scene of Cybil and Rose searching for a map of the town
04 script does sound better though
Deadbolt
Just Passing Through

Post by Deadbolt »

So I actually read this script. The only flaw is that due to blondeness, Jodelle Farland wouldn't of been in it.

BUT HOLY SHIT, this was the perfect goddamned script they could've made. What the hell, people?!
Alessandro
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Alessandro »

My thoughts on it was that the hella boring beggining from the actual movie was improved... especially since there was no "meow" scene. Rose is shown more pained and Christopher was a bit better.

but...

1. Sharon, blonde? glad they changed that :P
2. the healer thing was kinda weird, though it makes more sense to stumble into Silent Hill while trying to get somewhere to get rid of your kid's disease instead of psycho dreams. the religious incorporation was okay i guess.
3. the flashback scenes were confusing to me without the narrative, though it'd be cool to see Alessa being attacked (and i'm officially an asshole :/)
4. I still don't understand why Anna is in it.
5. Pyramid Head whore out fest!!!!!11!!
>.>

and the ending's better
Deadbolt
Just Passing Through

Post by Deadbolt »

4. I still don't understand why Anna is in it.
Exposition, and to be someone who never knew the outside world. She serves to be an innocent who is being punished by circumstance, showing us that Alessa has become pretty much just as bad. The Abused becomes the Abuser.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Well, the reason why Sharon is blonde in this version of the script is because she's the biological daughter of Rose and Chris. I was wrong when I said Alessa was supposed to be blonde too, she's described as having black hair and black eyes. In fact, this script never mentions Sharon being a manifestation of Alessa, though it makes it clear that Dark Alessa is Alessa. At the least, it explains why Dark Alessa isn't in the cast list- she's referred to as Alessa at all points. Apparently that didn't change.
Deadbolt
Just Passing Through

Post by Deadbolt »

Either way, Sharon and Alessa look enough alike that everyone assumes them to be similar/the same. They could've atleast had Sharon's hair be brown after Chris. It's easier to mix up brown and black in the lighting of Silent Hill environments.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

Oh how i wish they had gone with this script. it sucks, and it happens far too often in films that are based off videogames.
SilentOne
Just Passing Through

Post by SilentOne »

The link won't work for me. ;=;

But very interesting stuff in this topic. I like this script MUCH better.
Yo.
Enika
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Enika »

This script looks pretty cool. I would have liked to see how this version would have been.
SilentOne
Just Passing Through

Post by SilentOne »

DaSilva was originally De Salvo. I KNEW that's where it might have come from; isn't a De Salvo mentioned in Silent Hill 4?
Yo.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Andrew De Salvo was a guard at the prison where the kids from the Wish House were taken to be punished in SH4.

I'm not sure why people like this version so much; yeah, the dialogue's slightly better, but the storyline is incoherent, it has your typical Hollywood happy ending with a hint of a sequel, and it involves a scene of, I shit you not, PH throwing his great knife "like a javelin". I don't think even the greatest director in the world could make a scene like that anything but laughable thank God they took it out.
Deadbolt
Just Passing Through

Post by Deadbolt »

The dialogue's "slightly" better? It's greatly improved, and I also feel Sharon and Anna, as characters, benefit wonderfully. Not to mention this script doesn't leave any room for the "OMG the Devil is involved" theory, even if you try and twist the script.
SilentOne
Just Passing Through

Post by SilentOne »

I have to agree with JRamirez35 on the incoherent storyline part and the happy-crappy ending, but I do believe that the dialogue isn't as cheesy, although there is a lot of dialogue and a ton of exposition.

Personally, I think Sharon being terminally ill adds a great touch of drama and intensity to the story. I was sitting here going "Oh, crap, what if she has another seizure" the whole time. The whole "seeing the cultists during her seizures caused by a terminal illness" concept is much more menacing to me than having night terrors. The implied practicing-Catholicism of Rose added a bit of depth to her character as well.
Plus, they never intended on going to Silent Hill. The concept of Silent Hill being burnt down 30 years before remains, but there is no mention of an underground mine fire or anything. I liked the mine fire concept.

Also, locations seemed to have changed.
Rose specifically says "I'm from Chicago" and the faith healer is in Louisiana, according to a commercial or something that takes place in the script.
Yo.
Jecht
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Jecht »

Did people not like the movie? I loved it and just reading what everyone has been saying I have to agree with JRamirez35. Other than little details, I really enjoyed what it was. I thought it was eerie on how close the scene was with the Grey children was.
Deadbolt
Just Passing Through

Post by Deadbolt »

I have to agree with JRamirez35 on the incoherent storyline part and the happy-crappy ending, but I do believe that the dialogue isn't as cheesy, although there is a lot of dialogue and a ton of exposition.
I honestly don't see how the storyline is any more incoherent than the movie we got, and the ending may be happy, but I wouldn't call it crappy. Rose deserves a happy ending, and it's nothing new in the Silent Hill universe. Not everyone has to die or be eternally tortured.
Plus, they never intended on going to Silent Hill. The concept of Silent Hill being burnt down 30 years before remains, but there is no mention of an underground mine fire or anything. I liked the mine fire concept.
Ugh, the mine fire was stupid.