PH and symbolic violation

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

bl00dmuffin
Just Passing Through

PH and symbolic violation

Post by bl00dmuffin »

This may be a stretch, but I figure I'd bring it up anyway.

Even if you don't interpret Pyramid Head's actions toward the creatures in the second game to be rape (a valid argument), there's no denying that it's a popular theory. I was thinking about it in relation to the movie, and I considered that the scene where PH corners Rose and Cybil in the small room might be veiled symbolism of sexual violation. Call me too Freudian, but tearing a hole in a small, womb like area with a phallic object...well, to me it makes sense. Anyone else make this connection, or am I just a disturbed individual?

My apologies if this offends anyone for any reason. Do lock this post if it's deemed inappropriate.
KingCrimson
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: PH and symbolic violation

Post by KingCrimson »

Oh, I don't think you're disturbed at all. Red Pyramid (as he's nonsensically called in the official material) is basically an entity that takes everything from the video game PH and multiplies it by 10. He's ridiculously tall and buff, covered in bugs, and wears a shirtless apron with his ass cheeks hanging out the back. And he tears a girl's clothes off in one swift motion, followed by the skin being ripped from her tits. I think the boiler room scene was highly suggestive of rape. In particular, the part where he reaches his hand through the opening and wiggles it around... Rose and Cybil are screaming their heads off, even though his arm is like five feet away. Well, maybe I'm disturbed as well. :-\
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

I've posited this theory before, particularly because the scene takes place in the school, where Alessa was sexually assaulted by the janitor. That, and the director saying the janitor monster was specifically designed to look as those he is being eaten by a venereal disease, suggest Alessa was full-on raped and is manifesting it in some of her monsters and their actions.
bl00dmuffin
Just Passing Through

Post by bl00dmuffin »

Glad I'm not the only one. Great further insight!
Silent_Storm
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Silent_Storm »

I had never thought about this before it is a brilliant theory.
What's the big deal - Laura
jthomp1286
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by jthomp1286 »

I too like this idea, it never occurred to me before. I would have called bs if not for the fact that the incident in question happened in the school. Good thinking!
Under the burning sun I take a look around
Imagine if this all came down
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

I'm definitely of the mind that the movie, whatever its faults, pretty much got Pyramid Head right. Yes, the helmet was a little narrower, I think they kind of had to do that. And, I'm not sure why they bothered with the rats, since Pyramid Head is plenty scary without a rodent entourage. But the costume and the huge knife were spot on, his brutality and apparent unstoppability as well. And, the truly iconic and horrifying thing about PH is that he is a violent sexual deviant, and the movie did not shrink away from that aspect of his character. Matter of fact, by having him target a human, they upped the ante.
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14918&start=0]See the SH2 Endings that WEREN'T chosen[/url]
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

Oddish wrote:And, I'm not sure why they bothered with the rats, since Pyramid Head is plenty scary without a rodent entourage.
You mean the cockroach-like things? I would have preferred them not to be there, as well.
I kind of liked his game attire better, rather than the topless buff version that began with the movie, but it's not a big deal to me.

As for the topic, I can see how that scene could be symbolic.
Seal of Megatron
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Seal of Megatron »

Well, in defence of pyramid head's exercise regime, he is pretty buff in some of the game's concept art.
Maybe he had to roid up for the part.
Who's the man? Me!!
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

Seal of Megatron wrote: he is pretty buff in some of the game's concept art.
In SH2's concept art? Really? Interesting, but...my opinion remains.
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

QUOTE: I kind of liked his game attire better, rather than the topless buff version that began with the movie, but it's not a big deal to me.

No, me either. It was pretty similar anyway, the SH2 version had him wearing what looked like a singlet under the apron, and the movie had him bare-chested (and a lot more muscular). Given that Harry Mason suddenly had blonde hair and had grown a pair of boobs, the changes to ol' PH were pretty negligible by comparison.
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14918&start=0]See the SH2 Endings that WEREN'T chosen[/url]