Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
KiramidHead
Historical Society Historian

Re: Chrisophe Gans Announces New Silent Hill Movie

Post by KiramidHead »

I wasn't expecting this at all, especially after how poorly Revelation did. Oddly, I'm almost more intrigued by the Fatal Frame movie he mentioned.
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

Well, on the grounds that it will help pump life into the franchise, I'm glad.

I'll admit, I am not a fan of EITHER Silent Hill movie. His was definitely better than Revelation, for sure, but I still really dislike his view of the series. Even his statement on it now "a small American town, ravaged by Puritanism", is so NOT Silent Hill to me. I super didn't get the Christian angle he went with in his story, I think it's a lot more overdone and generic compared to the source material, but so be it. It's better than the franchise being dead.
Droo

Post by Droo »

I think he nailed the visuals of the first film. Any screenplay failures I lay at the hands of Roger Avery.

If the rumours are true and this one is going to be an adaptation of SH2, let's hope they get a solid screenwriter on board. Combined with his visuals, it could be a real sleeper horror hit. I envision something artsy and brainy like Hereditary or The VVitch.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Lives in the mirror"
Girl Interrupted
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Girl Interrupted »

The first Silent Hill movie is the best video game adapted film to date, but damn did Revelation try to give even the Resident Evil films a run for its money.

Something along the lines of Hereditary/Midsommar would be awesome (I still need to watch VVitch).
Numinex
Just Passing Through

Post by Numinex »

I love first movie, so I'm really happy to hear Gans wants to return to the franchise. I'm surprised however that someone still wants to invest money in this after SH: Abomination...I mean Revelation.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

The first Silent Hill movie is the best video game adapted film to date
Mortal Kombat would like a word.

Anyways, I like the first Silent Hill movie but I don't love it. I'm willing to give another film made by Gans a look because there were elements of the movie that worked really, really well and I'm sure he could deliver something special if given another chance. Also, like said above, it at least keeps the series alive in some respect. If the rumored games turn out to be anything it might be just about time for Silent Hill to rise again.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

Numinex wrote:I love first movie, so I'm really happy to hear Gans wants to return to the franchise. I'm surprised however that someone still wants to invest money in this after SH: Abomination...I mean Revelation.
The Silent Hill movie was the last time I've ever had my jaw dropped the entire film; I was lucky to have never heard of the games.

SHR was the worst movie I've ever bought a ticket for; until the last Resident Evil.

If Gans offered me a chance to work on this story I swear by God I will learn French to help him.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Awesome! Please shoot it in 3-D! But retcon Revelations out of this by calling it Silent Hill 2 :P

It's best not to think of the film versions as following game canon.

I always feel as though Gans only felt he had one shot at making a Silent hill movie, and decided to do a 'best of' by combining elements of 1, 2 & 3. That why we got what we did. There were no sequel guarantees. So I'm okay with building on what the first film established.

This also lends more credibility to the leaks that Konami is looking to do new games. It's because of lucrative multimedia deals like this that necessitate keeping the IP alive, though as usual Konami isn't confident enough to do anything internally.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

I would love a movie based on Walter and Henry... I am really tired of Silent Hill 2 being the inspiration for EVERYTHING...

Please, no Pyramid Head...
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

KageReneko wrote:I would love a movie based on Walter and Henry... I am really tired of Silent Hill 2 being the inspiration for EVERYTHING...

Please, no Pyramid Head...
Yeah, if it was up to me, I'd love to make a movie of The Room. The atmosphere and story of SH4 is really underrated!
Droo

Post by Droo »

You don't think 4 might be a little too out-there for a general audience? I'm not sure it would be well received by those without an already-deep knowledge of the series.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Lives in the mirror"
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

I would prefer an original story set in the Silent Hill universe. If they have to adapt a game then I'd like to see Downpour or a competent adaptation of SH3.
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

I would also prefer either an original story or an adaptation of the Room. That could be awesome. But hey, if they do a good job I won’t complain.
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Droo wrote:You don't think 4 might be a little too out-there for a general audience? I'm not sure it would be well received by those without an already-deep knowledge of the series.
No more than the game itself. The Room and the Apartment building as a whole are basically an extension of a Haunted house movie.

In fact the way the first film works with Rose trapped in the Silent Hill Other World while Chris searches for her in regular Silent Hill pretty much lays the ground for a SH4 adaptation where Henry and other apartment dwellers are trapped in the Other World, while Eileen and others are in the regular world wondering what's up with Henry's apartment.

There can always be the loose association with the first Silent Hill film. Like some cult member using the religion of Silent Hill to do his own thing away from the town. Though Henry can still travel back there through the other world Silent Hill created in Walter's mind from his memories. So it's referential without being heavy.

There can be lots of nice claustrophobic and voyeur scenes that'd work well in 3-D! The Twin Victims could be the next great monster if done right!
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

jdnation wrote:
Droo wrote:You don't think 4 might be a little too out-there for a general audience? I'm not sure it would be well received by those without an already-deep knowledge of the series.
No more than the game itself. The Room and the Apartment building as a whole are basically an extension of a Haunted house movie.

In fact the way the first film works with Rose trapped in the Silent Hill Other World while Chris searches for her in regular Silent Hill pretty much lays the ground for a SH4 adaptation where Henry and other apartment dwellers are trapped in the Other World, while Eileen and others are in the regular world wondering what's up with Henry's apartment.

There can always be the loose association with the first Silent Hill film. Like some cult member using the religion of Silent Hill to do his own thing away from the town. Though Henry can still travel back there through the other world Silent Hill created in Walter's mind from his memories. So it's referential without being heavy.

There can be lots of nice claustrophobic and voyeur scenes that'd work well in 3-D! The Twin Victims could be the next great monster if done right!
That makes the first question: can Gans get Rahda Mitchell and Sean Bean back together to finish their story?

Harrington and Clemens would be a nice bonus, but I think one of them is unavailable.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

Gans and Mitchell didn't get along while making the first movie, so I doubt she'll be back.
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

KiramidHead wrote:Gans and Mitchell didn't get along while making the first movie, so I doubt she'll be back.
Aw really? I really liked Rose in the first movie. She felt really forced in the second though ugh.

I'm really damn excited for this. Plus a Fatal Frame movie! This announcement was probably one of the least likely things I could have possibly expected in regards to Silent Hill (and especially Fatal Frame holy crap).
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

tbonesays wrote:That makes the first question: can Gans get Rahda Mitchell and Sean Bean back together to finish their story?

Harrington and Clemens would be a nice bonus, but I think one of them is unavailable.
I feel it's better left to the imagination. Though as some figured, it lends itself as a set up for SH2.

SH2 is likely what Gans is adapting. Most likely it'll end up with a subtitle like 'Silent Hill: Restless Dreams' unless the studio pushes for a more generic subtitle like 'Vengeance' or something dumb.

SH2 also acts as a soft reboot where James is a 'newcomer' to the town. Only issue is the burning underground mine thing which doesn't lend itself to a resort area, so some other rewriting would be necessary.

Ideally you could adapt SH2 where both Chris and James are searching for their wives. And the dynamic can play out between them. If Rhada doesn't return they'd likely recast or make her appearance really short.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Ugh... So tired of James

Anyway, I also wonder if they will base the Fatal Frame movie in Zero 1 or 2; again, the sequel is more popular but I always found the first game scarier