Rate the Movie + Give Your Reviews

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

Yana
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by Yana »

I have played all the Silent Hill games since the moment they were out. I was getting soooooo excited about seeing this film when I first saw the trailer, but i have to say that I was fairly dissapointed, but kind of pleased at the same time. Which has never happened with me before by the way.

Let's start with the good points first. The graphics/effects were good. Pyramid head looked cool, as did the numb bodys etc. The boss at the end was a great part effects-wise. The town itself looks just like the town we love, and it's almost like coming home again in a way. I also liked the slight references to the game I saw, such as Nurse Lisa. It was good to see her, if it really was her which i think it was myself to be honest.

Now the bad points. You have to admit the acting was quite bad. OK it was really bad. Rahda Mitchell and Laurie Holden were crap as Rose and Cybil. Bad dialogue ahoy! Cybil to Lying Figure, "Stay right where you are!" Thats terrible, it's a monster love, it aint gonna stop, it probably cant even understand you! That's just one example, I could point out a few but I wont you can probably guess anyway. I did not think the story was quite good. We really didnt find out much about Rose and Sharons past, really did we? I think it would have been better based on SH1 and SH3 but again, that is just MY opinion.

Overall, I give it a 4 out of 10. I'll still buy it though, just because its Silent Hill.
Last edited by Yana on 27 Jun 2006, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://iampaddy.com/spell/]Learn To Fucking Spell[/url]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I think, thath the movie is good.The only problem was, that i watched it downloaded from the Internet, because there weren't any announcements in the cinema, but SH was shown there afterall..Don't know why they did like that and I'm disappointed about that :(
But I liked the movie.Altrough it wasn't scary, it was interesting.The atmosphere in the film was really alike in the game.PH and other monsters look as they should look.My favorite moment is when Rose has to overcome the nice nurses :) and the scene afher that.
About the ending..I'm still full of questions about it, because there are too many versions and I don't really know what to think because every version has its logic.

Roleplay and dialogues could be better, but the adoptation is good, because many adoptations like this(game to film or book to film) are just horrible!

Overall is 8/10.
boilingwater17
Just Passing Through

Post by boilingwater17 »

Its not really a good movie, in fact I hated it, even though I love silent hill games. The special effects is great, but the story really lacks a kick. Its not scary, not like others I've seen, e.g the ring, and worse of all, there is quite a lot of unnecessary gore, especially near the ending. I really hated the ending, and the story of Alessa. Its just not as good as the SH1, with the birth of God and everything. The story is just to take revenge, which is only one aspect of SH1. Sorry for criticising this movie, but its really bad. 4/10 ^^' :|
The Last Samurai " Bushido: Way of the Warrior"
pattern recognition
Just Passing Through

Post by pattern recognition »

Last edited by pattern recognition on 31 Aug 2006, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Plot and Storyline: 3

Giving the plot of this movie a 3 is being very generous. It was just a bad plot. There is no way around it. The plots in the games were way better. There was no character development in this movie at all. The opening scene on the cliff side was way too corny. The pacing was way off. It moved incredibly slow in the begining and way too fast in the end. In all honesty, though, this is probably the best that could have been done. Trying to cram the story from an 8 to 10 hour game, with bits and pieces from other games, into a two hour movie is never going to yield good results.

Scariness: 6

The "horror" parts of this film are one of its shining points. Terrific atmosphere. The first time that air raid siren goes off and everything goes to shit I could literally feel the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. Unfortunatly in most of these scenes its all build up. The exception is the scene with Pyramid Head. The gore in this film was fantastic, but it needed more. I did not leave that theater feeling the way I did when I beat one of the games.

Acting: 5

The acting wasnt bad, but then again it wasnt good. However you dont go to see this kind of movie for stellar acting anyway.

Cinematograpy: 10

Gans hit the nail on the head for this one. It was a nice touch having some shots in the movie match exactly with shots in the game. Everything was there including the bizarre camera angles. The alternate Silent Hill is incredibly well done as are all the monsters.

Writing: 1

Ok half of Rhada's lines are "sharon." A huge letdown from Roger Avery, a man who's portfolio includes Pulp Fiction.

Conclusion: 3

"Your reward is the truth." That whole scene was a mess. This is supposed to be a movie, not story time. People who have not played the games will not understand the conclusion.

Pet Peeves:

Pyramid Head : why change his costume and his attitude. The only thing he retains from the game are this knife and the skinning. Remember in the Apartment complex when James walks in on Pyramid Head raping two other demons, or that time in the stair well where he was getting sucked off by another demon. While these things may have been too vulgar to the film, they were a big part of the demon's purpose in the game. I wish he would have appeared more often, but that goes for all the demons.

Guns and weapons: Where are they? Where is the shotgun, the hunting rifle, the STEEL PIPE? Combat was definately a big part of the games, but is almost completely left out of the film.

The Great Knife: Real cheesy looking.

Overall: 6 out of 10 (not an average)

This film was in some ways a good adaptation and in some way a bad one. The atmosphere was good, but the lack of enough distrubing moments and combat makes it just another lackluster horror film.
butters
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by butters »

I give it an 8.5. I really enjoyed watching, but that's because I'm familiar with the series and know the storyline. Where my family was confused the whole movie and had no idea what was going on even at the end. My only complaint about the movie was that I think they went a little overboard with the whole witchcraft thing.
Myrrh Macho Sehr Gacho
shua
Hope House Careworker

Post by shua »

Out of a ten, probably a 7.2. A review, I see, would be pretty pointless seeing as there's nothing for me to say about it that hasn't been said before.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

acting 7
Scariness: 9 not really scarey but creepy
End and conclusion 6
total 7
i enjoyed the movie it looked really creapey the back story
could use a lot of work the one from the games had a lot more depth(i mean girl dies and just sudenly gets godlike powers is just not even trying) it seemed thay were working on the look in stead of the story witch is important to a silent hill story it looked like a silent hill game but did not fell like one not a bad movie though
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I've got to give 9/10

It seems that SH is only good game movie unlike Resident Evil Movies, I am not too long in the series, but it had it's solitary plot with atmosphere and story.
Good gripping outline iver whole movie and not pointless meelee fightning with story where everyone know how it ends.
But only negative thing was and not only in this case is that game movies are full women, maybe that's just to me.
Most unexected was that credit line contained game songs and not other music which wouldn't fit into.

So, it was awesome time, if my return to home would be more peaceful.
MeatyDistraction
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by MeatyDistraction »

That's because Uwe Bol didn't get his shitty little fingers on Silent Hill, or no doubt he would have butchered it, and turned it into a gunfest for 2 hours.

Talking to xerxes.
"Are you goin' to Hell or Heaven? Did you walk with the sinners, or pray with the reverend? Tell the truth, I did a little of both, but ain't no tellin' where I'm goin' 'til my body's a ghost."
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

MeatyDistraction wrote:That's because Uwe Bol didn't get his shitty little fingers on Silent Hill, or no doubt he would have butchered it, and turned it into a gunfest for 2 hours.

Talking to xerxes.
Or Paul WS Anderson, he would turn it into Kung Fu fest.
Hudy
Just Passing Through

Post by Hudy »

5/10 just because Im fan of sh and it had good atmosphere BUT it wasn't scary...and that's it I was not scared whole movie even a minute no creepy moments, NOTHING! If I were never played sh before I would say it's shit...
Glazarus
Historical Society Historian

Post by Glazarus »

Hudy wrote:5/10 just because Im fan of sh and it had good atmosphere BUT it wasn't scary...and that's it I was not scared whole movie even a minute no creepy moments, NOTHING! If I were never played sh before I would say it's shit...
You are comparing different levels of fear. To reach the same level of fear in a movie is almost impossible. If you do, you might end up with "the grudge" which is really scary, but it's a got darn bad movie. I'm glad Silent Hill focused on characters and story, rather then filling it with just "scaaaary" things.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0ZO3_UaUJs&fmt=22][img]http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4855/psalm21banner.jpg[/img][/url]
damjrok
Just Passing Through

Post by damjrok »

Plus the way the game scared you is impossible to recreate. Have you ever watched someone else play Silent Hill? It's not nearly as scary as holding the controller in your hand. The only suspense felt might be in watching your friend freak out at the game.

The fact that Gans was able to provide a creepy atmosphere is a victory, but it's impossible for anyone to recreate the suspense you feel when evading nurses or whatever else goes bump in Silent Hill's night.
Dane Cook is not funny
Warrior of Death
Just Passing Through

Post by Warrior of Death »

I would give it a 9.5!
I just saw it yesterday, it finally arrived to Mexico!
Those grey babies really scared the shit out of me, specially that scene when rose opens some house's door and lots of infernal screams are heard at really high volume as the babies are getting closer! That thing could drive you nuts if you're constantly listening to it in a dark room! All the monsters looked great and that scene in which Pyramid Head peels Anna's skin off is awesome! :twisted:
It was almost the same as the 1st Silent Hill game. Alessa had such sad story, poor little girl, those members from the cult were fucking lunatics! Anyway, the only reason I gave it a 9.5 is because Lisa didn't say anything and Cybil was killed! I didn't like that but oh well what can I do... but other then that, it was a killer movie! I'm buying this on DVD when it comes out! :lol:
whiter4bbit
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by whiter4bbit »

Finally it's come to Italy... I saw it last Saturday. Well I've been so so so so so disappointed...:?

Plot and Storyline: 3
Very poor. No psychological/symbological elements. Very flat storyline, full of plot holes... bad-written, with bad characters, bad dialogues...

Acting: 6
Ok, in the end... but nothing awesome.

Scariness: 5
The few parts stolen from the game (initial sequence, Midwich bathrooms) were good, but there were very little else.

End and conclusion: 5
The "final massacre" was horrible. The ending itself was not so bad, not so good too.

Overall Rating: 4.5

Comments: I liked photography and some of the scenographies, and monsters too. But it has got a too bad storyline that has got nothing to do with the game's mood in my opinion. It has got no good points too, that makes the movie under a 5/10 rating.
[img]http://img422.imageshack.us/img422/7426/room312sig5qn.jpg[/img]

[size=75][b]Along with you died joy.
All that remains is despair and a future of meaningless tomorrows.[/b][/size]
ninjaseikai
Just Passing Through

Post by ninjaseikai »

Silent hill revealed
Ok so the movie silent hill was jsut amazing and you all know it, and yeah after watching it three times i figured out the way I see the movie, not saying im right cause when it comes to this i dont tihnk there is a right or wrong i think its made to be speculated upon ,jut dont read it if you havemnt seen the movie, it wil truly ruin it for you because the movie is only really good with all its mystery. but anyway here goes...

So theres three little girls ill be referring to, alessa (the one who is burnbe dand in the hospital bed) sharopn who is alessa's goodness and dark allessa, we'll start with her, now at the end wher eshes explaining everytihng to rose is where you get all your informaton, so dark alessa is pure evilness, she says she has many names which lets you knwo she is some kind of devil, she says at the moment she is the dark part of alessae, and she got to be taht way be striking opportuniy,

so the townspeaople tried to burn alessa because they think she is the evil btu shes not, when shes in the hospital the real evil comes to visit her seeing the opportunity. thats the scene where dark alessa touchs alessa's hand through the bed, and it doesnt show you dark alessa's face before that, jsut her eyes, she becomes the dark part of alessa when they ouch and thats when everytihng goes crazy, the devil made a deal with alessa to amke everyone pay if she could use her body pretty much, cause the devil wants to get rid of all the religious followers of course, so by combining dakr alessa uses alessa's nightmares to reap their souls, tahts why she calls herslef the reaper. ok so the real alessa isnt truly aware of everytinhg, jsut taht shes getting revenge and shes fine with that.

so all the people who did harm to her are trapped in the silent hill worlld and everytime the darkness comes is when alessa falls asleep and dark alessa uses her nightmares for revenge. nwo comes in the aprt of sharon, sharon is all of alessa' goodness taken out of alessa by the devil for two reasons, to keep ehr angry and killing and also to lure an outsider, rose asks dark alessa why ti is her she brought and she says "cause you chose sharon" and thats true, dark alessa needed an outsider to finish her plan, so she sent out sharon who was unawarwe of everytinhg cause she was so small. then she was adopted and started sleepwaling, which is obvious by the first scene that dark alessa is callign her back to silent hill, as you cabn see on the cliff shes lookign down and sees her,

i also beleive taht scene with the cross above the family symboliozes that they are all good, btu anyway thats hwo they get pulled to silent hill, so theyt go to sielnt hill and dark alessa opens the gate, we know from dahlia taht she is the only one who controls the gate, ok and so she gets knocked out and comes to with sharon gone, and dahlia hid sharon in nathans drugs to keep her safe,

ok moving on, cybil i beleive was jsut oin the wrong place at the wrong time, got sucked iunto silent hill with rose casue she was nearby or dark alessa knew shed need ehr help, either way shes there. so rose looks for sharon and comes across monsters which yes beleive it or not all symbolize sometihng as well, remember this si all a little girls nightmare, so the little baby monsters are the schoolchildren taht all attacked alessa in class, th janitor of course isthe janitor who raped her...messe dup...and i see pyramid head as the guy who directly does the bidding of dark alessa, but its hard he was mainly only put in for fanbase casue his rael purpose doenst fit into the movie, as for the armless creature jsut represents some fo the townspeople, as liekm how the forced her into the ring shes afraid of them with their hands so in ehr nightmares they have none, taht ones kidna forced but o well, then that nurse at the end, she smissing ehr eyes becasue well she peeked so alessa ahtes her eyes, and the other nurses alessa jsut ahtes all the nurses cause after waht happeend to ehr her heart is blackened. that leaves one lasr monster, th ebugs, these are tough,id jsut sday as a littl egirl shes deafly afraid of bugs, but amybe i have to watch it again.

so now we come to the cult, his part was the hardest to figure out but in the moive wha the cult beleieveds in is true, tahts why their prayers can cast away the darkness which is dark alessas powers, and thats why she cant enter the church, as she says untill they know the truth, the tihng is they made a msitake, they believe that jsut becasue dahlia wont admit who the father is that it must be the devil himself and alessa is the devils spawn, whish isnt true, aht the msitake, the burn an innocent girl, and tahts when the devil seized the opportunity liek i said before, so the cult burned the little girl in hopes of stopping the apocalypse, tahts what they kept saiyng, and since it dindt work they belive they are in the apocalypse,

now here where dark alessa gets tricky, she tells rose all of this so she doenst lie btu she has to get the cult to realize its alessa nightmare and what they did was wrong, taht way theyll not beleive in the apocalypse adn their parayers will no, longer hold back the devil casue if even for a n instant their faith will eb shattered, as dahlia says, they are held there for their sins, the only people there are the one who burned alessa. so why rose? becasue shes an outsider, the only ones doomed ar ecult memebers, theyt are all gonna beleive in the apocalypse adn nto lsitne to the devil, rose says she comes froma workld outisde, proving tto them they are stuck ina nightmare, not an apocalypse, in desperation the leader christabella stabs rose, she donest want to ehar waht shes hearing, but tis too late everyones faith is shattered giving dark alessa her cahnce,

so alessa comes out from her hospital room where all the nightmares had bneen coming form into the church, so she kills everyone, then thers that scene where alesa saves rose, and she has a smile on ehr face, that i believe is to key toh eneding, but there could be many raesons for it anothe ris where sharon looks into dakr alessas eyes beofre she faints.

but well the revenge is over and dahlia, rose and sharon are the only ones left, dahlia is alive because even though she is stuck in the sielnt hill workd for her sins she is alessas mother and liek cybil said "mother is god in the eyes of a child" dark alewssa can keeop ehr there becasue she controls the gate but alessa has no grudge against ehr so she cannot be killed while the devil is using alessa.

now comes the hard part and the onlyl part im not too sure of, the ending, they ar estill in the sielnt hill work btu they also dont seem surprised at all, here area few explanaions, one is the one i believe in the msot, becasue of the scen where alessa saves ehr and because sharon si essentially alessa rose is kept there because alessa also see her as motherso shes satsy a poart of the dream, or the other scene with dark alessa, maybe she became sharon this time instead, its possible becasue at the very end sharon looks pretty evil gazing out the window, or maybe dark alessa still ahs use for her, but whaever the rewaosn we know its possibel to go back becasue dahlia says only the dark one can open and clsoe the gate, showing taht ist is possible to go back. one other reason could be that by helping out dark alessa rose had sinned and so seh is kept there by her new sins. i think its a msot liekly a mix, the one about sharon being eveil si the elast liekly, but yeah tahts the way i see the movie, if you read all this then im proud of you.
Sundered Angel
Just Passing Through

Post by Sundered Angel »

Just saw the movie (I'm stuck waaay over in Australia and we only got it today) and I was really impressed. The art direction, monsters, plot... pretty much every aspect of the movie was faithful to the source material, which is more than I can say for a lot of movie adaptions.

Plot and Storyline: 8. Well written, and conveyed the game. The only complaint I really have is that for some of the move it seems like the plot is just going nowhere.

Acting: 7. Acting was pretty good overall, a few hammy lines here and there but mostly well executed.

Scare Factor: 8. They recreated the atmosphere of the games excellently, the otherworld looked suitably twisted and horrifying, and even the normal and foggy towns were really creepy. I didn't know how the monsters would be portrayed, but now I can say with absoute certainty that PH is still as scary as ever.

Conclusion: 9. Really got me thinking. And that's as much as anyone can ask, right?

Overall: 8.5. The acting stumbled in a few places, and the movie did seem to get slightly repeditive in parts, but these are really just minor problems in what was otherwise an excellent movie
[img]http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/728/waltercrosscopyqo3.png[/img]
InsideTheMirror
Just Passing Through

Post by InsideTheMirror »

I give it a 5 out of 10 for being a decent movie.

Im going to buy the DvD. =)
Your the man now dog!
www.ytmnd.com
Monsterwork
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: Rate the Movie + Give Your Reviews

Post by Monsterwork »

Plot and Storyline: 6/10 I didn't really like the change from resort town to mining town, but I think they carried it out well.

Acting: 6/10 Pretty good, but the little girls acting was occasionaly cringe worthy

Scariness: 5/10 The occasional "Woah, cool!" but no real scares, which was dissapointing.

End and conclusion: 7/10 I liked it, though I think they overdid the gore.

Overall Rating: 7/10

Comments: One thing that annoyed me in the film was the soundtrack, the fact that they played about five seconds of an SH song and then quickly stopped it got annoying fast. The whole film was like a game of "Guess the SH song".
Another thing that annoyed me was that, as someone said, the film is like a horror film with guest appearances from SH monsters, it doesn't feel like Silent Hill at all. Silent Hill is minimalist, dark, subtle. This film wasn't.
One thing I liked though was when they find the Hospital map, it looked exactly like the map in the game.
One thing I can't help thinking about is whether or not I would have enjoyed the film more had I not seen the pirated PH footage or that making of that was posted here, as well as the preview clips. When I saw those I was impressed, so if I saw them for the first time in the film, I probably would have liked it more.