MOVIE ENDING THEORIES!

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

I just don't think Rose is very smart, honestly and I think it's possible that she doesn't understand what Sharon became after Alessa's revenge.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

How many people are going to think, without seeing it themselves, "Oh, hey, this evil demon-type entity just merged with my daughter's soul to return her to her true self from a past reincarnation. BTW I'm Christian"?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
neonblack
Hope House Careworker

Post by neonblack »

Yes, yes. After Alessa's projection, and the explanation of the entire story it provides, the acceptance of her daughter as Alessa or an incarnation of her is obvious - dark half or not. The dark half is exaggerated in the film, yes, but it is still only one half of a soul and therefore I don't feel that it really matters whether Rose accepts the negative part of her being - as she accepts the full sum of her daughter.
"Blessed is the lion which becomes man when consumed by man; and cursed is the man whom the lion consumes, and the lion becomes man."
[size=84]The Gospel of Thomas, logion 7.[/size]
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

I'm sure Rose understands what Sharon is, but that doesn't mean that she knows that Sharon has now recombined with Dark Alessa.
neonblack
Hope House Careworker

Post by neonblack »

Perhaps, yeah. I'm sure she doesn't at first, but I believe there are enough hints to safely assume she understands by the final scene in the film. But as I'm about to start veering into fan fiction, I'll recede.
"Blessed is the lion which becomes man when consumed by man; and cursed is the man whom the lion consumes, and the lion becomes man."
[size=84]The Gospel of Thomas, logion 7.[/size]
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

The four reasons why I don't think she does are 1) She's really not portrayed as being very smart. I don't know if that's just the script, or if the character was never meant to be that intelligent. 2) She tells Chris she and 'Sharon' are coming home. 3) She didn't see Dark Alessa smiling down at Sharon. 4) She doesn't even seem to understand that she's still in an alternate dimension, seeing as she called Chris to tell him she's coming home and all. That's just why I believe the way I do.
EvilDead77
Just Passing Through

Post by EvilDead77 »

Okay i dont know if its been touched upon much by posters but heres my theory.
I believe that Cheryl and Rose stayed in the Otherworld because they were dead and didnt realize it. The car crash killed them and the Otherworld is some type of purgatory. The cultists were all there and died by the fire but didnt even realize they died until it was pointed out to them. As for the static made to Chris' phone, it reminded me of SH2(dont mean to compare them) when James first finds the radio and hears Mary and her voice is cut out. Maybe there is some connection between both worlds? idk. sorry if my theory is just mindless ranting. its just what i pieced together so yeah.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

The police report Chris reads specifically states that the cult members escaped the fire, everyone in the alternate dimension ages thirty years, Rose did not hit her head hard enough to be fatal, and Cybil also wasn't hurt enough to indicate death. The reason why they're still in the alternate dimension is because the good and bad sides of Alessa's soul have reunited and she's choosing to keep herself and her new mom in the world where she feels safe, her world.
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

EvilDead77 wrote:Okay i dont know if its been touched upon much by posters but heres my theory.
I believe that Cheryl and Rose stayed in the Otherworld because they were dead and didnt realize it. The car crash killed them and the Otherworld is some type of purgatory
It has been touched upon, hundreds of times I bet. It's also wrong (see above post)
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Archaeis wrote:I took at as Sharon and Alessa had re-combined (Heather now?) with Alessa in control. Alessa had grown to trust and love Rose in the course of the movie events, and didn't want to let her go. So, she is keeping Rose to herself in the foggy level of Reality. That is why when they went home Chris couldn't see them. I'm not sure if Rose realizes it or not though.
I thought this was the ending and it makes perfect sense, especially since you have the moment where Alessa stares Sharon in the eyes until she blacks out, and then Sharon/Alessa doesn't say a word for the rest of the movie, but has a sinister expression on her face.
HeresJohnny
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by HeresJohnny »

The seemed trapped to me, I took it as a sad ending but I don't understand why Alessa would not free her after she saved her in the church. The ending was kinda lame anyway. I still love the movie though. I own it. Its a love hate relationship because there are so many parts where I'm just like "I would have done that different" or "made that scarier" or "used different monsters" I really with the screaming babies at the beginning had been different. But know matter how much I try to hate on it I still love to watch it and it definetly has a "cool" factor in my opinion lol ...well thats just how I personally feel about the film haha
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Alessa is either just really, really selfish and wants to keep her new mom to herself or she may be afraid of returning to our world. Either way, since Rose is now Alessa's official mother, if Alessa doesn't want to leave the alternate realms, then Rose isn't going to either.
Xev

Post by Xev »

I had my reservations on the ending when I first saw it a few times and that was of disappointment. I dunno, either I went into the movie with high hopes of a concrete view on how the transition could be made from foggy world to "reality" or just that it didnt resolve much in general.

Last week I watched it again and as I see it, the movie couldnt have ended any other way. Even though I have seen it many times, I was actually upset at the ending: it is so sad! Maybe it is my love for the lovely Magdalene that got me all emotional.
Mr. Domino
Just Passing Through

Post by Mr. Domino »

I liked the ending a lot better the second time I saw it. Its one of those that, going into the movie with expectations based on playing the game, is unexpected and therefore seems out of place, but when you know its there, and you've made your peace with the fact that the movie is not the game, then it works really well.
I'm not a self-righteous, egotistical, arrogant bastard - but I play one on the internet!
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Xev wrote:I had my reservations on the ending when I first saw it a few times and that was of disappointment. I dunno, either I went into the movie with high hopes of a concrete view on how the transition could be made from foggy world to "reality" or just that it didnt resolve much in general.

Last week I watched it again and as I see it, the movie couldnt have ended any other way. Even though I have seen it many times, I was actually upset at the ending: it is so sad! Maybe it is my love for the lovely Magdalene that got me all emotional.
If it makes you feel better, the three people suffering all made their choices that led them to where they are, while the one person who deserved a happy ending got it. Rose was a spoiled housewife who never had to work or do much of anything but care for Sharon. She chose to defy her husband and the law for her child, and so she got exactly what was coming - a life alone with her child, without anyone to come between them. Chris wanted to give Sharon up, and so he got what he wanted - he just didn't expect to lose his wife too. Dahlia was so blinded by her fanaticism that she allowed Alessa to suffer for years before finally handing her over to be tortured. Alessa spent her life alone because of Dahlia's choices, and so now Dahlia gets to spend her life alone.
The one person who deserved to be happy all along, Alessa, now has everything she wants. A new life, new body, new mom, and a new home. Separated from our world, she can live out her new life in peace. It makes it easier to know that at least Alessa is happy, I think. :D
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

I guess now we'll just have to see if these truly are the fates for these characters or if their current situations are going to be expanded upon in the sequel.

Frankly based on that I would be happy if they did not expand upon these characters since they all somewhat got what they deserved, whether it was desired or not.
Bitch, don't kill my vibe.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Fevered Dream wrote:Frankly based on that I would be happy if they did not expand upon these characters since they all somewhat got what they deserved, whether it was desired or not.
Agreed. I think they should leave Alessa's story alone now, since she has what she wants and there's not much reason for her to go through SH3-like events.
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

JKristine35 wrote:
Xev wrote:I had my reservations on the ending when I first saw it a few times and that was of disappointment. I dunno, either I went into the movie with high hopes of a concrete view on how the transition could be made from foggy world to "reality" or just that it didnt resolve much in general.

If it makes you feel better, the three people suffering all made their choices that led them to where they are, while the one person who deserved a happy ending got it. Rose was a spoiled housewife who never had to work or do much of anything but care for Sharon. She chose to defy her husband and the law for her child, and so she got exactly what was coming - a life alone with her child, without anyone to come between them. Chris wanted to give Sharon up, and so he got what he wanted - he just didn't expect to lose his wife too. Dahlia was so blinded by her fanaticism that she allowed Alessa to suffer for years before finally handing her over to be tortured. Alessa spent her life alone because of Dahlia's choices, and so now Dahlia gets to spend her life alone.
The one person who deserved to be happy all along, Alessa, now has everything she wants. A new life, new body, new mom, and a new home. Separated from our world, she can live out her new life in peace. It makes it easier to know that at least Alessa is happy, I think. :D
I never really thought of it like that... I was a little disappointed in the movie, so didn't take much notice of the ending, but that description of everyone paints it in a better light... :)
Aerith Gainsborough

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

I don't know if anyone has posted this (I really don't want to go through 66 other pages) but here is my theory, which was gathered by someone's post about this same question on Yahoo:

When Dark Alessa locked eyes with Sharon, I think that the two halves came together to form Alessa again. The reason why Rose cannot see her husband and seems to be in the Fog world is because this world is Alessa's view of Purgatory, Otherworld is her view of Hell, and then there's the Real world. The absence of her father lead to her torment, and then there was the incident with Colin.Her school mates mocked, and abused and she really had nobody to trust except for Rose. She saw the commitment she had for Sharon, so she knew that if she could love a child that wasn't hers (Sharon) she could love another, herself. She wanted to trap them in the fog world because it's like the real world, but it is her own dimension. She has all the power there. There's only her and Rose and that's how she wants it to be. She wants to live out a happy life with Rose and wants nobody to interfere with that.

This is the post I was referring to:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 431AA6DzQ6

Also, I think that the Anonymous user's post on the first page about Alessa not being so innocent and etc was a very good view on the ending and I can agree with that one, as well.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
Xev

Post by Xev »

JKristine35 wrote:
Fevered Dream wrote:Frankly based on that I would be happy if they did not expand upon these characters since they all somewhat got what they deserved, whether it was desired or not.
Agreed. I think they should leave Alessa's story alone now, since she has what she wants and there's not much reason for her to go through SH3-like events.
I will also agree. I do not think they should continue any part of this in the second I think it will cheapen it on the whole. I decided to post in this ending thread because of the new way I have come to view the ending itself - as truly complete and true to the characters and plot. Like I said, it really couldnt have ended any other way.
If it makes you feel better, the three people suffering all made their choices that led them to where they are, while the one person who deserved a happy ending got it. Rose was a spoiled housewife who never had to work or do much of anything but care for Sharon. She chose to defy her husband and the law for her child, and so she got exactly what was coming - a life alone with her child, without anyone to come between them. Chris wanted to give Sharon up, and so he got what he wanted - he just didn't expect to lose his wife too.
Im not one for always a happy ending but I so wanted it for this story! To see the struggle the 3 of them were going through to be together...it is just tragic.

Now what you said about Chris is very interesting and now that I think of it throughout the movie he only asks for Rose. He calls for her only, not Sharon, when they go to the town and he does not mention Sharon until he has to for information at the orphanage. It is so quick in the beginning it passed me by when he talks about giving her up.

I think calling Rose a spoiled housewife seems harsh though, we never see the whole background and how they lived. I think its maybe Radha's conviction and determination in the role that leads me to believe she was of stronger character. In the end it was her choice though, to go alone.