MOVIE ENDING THEORIES!

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I see the movie as having three dimensions, really. There's the normal one, where the father was, and then there's what I call the purgatory dimension, where the cultists and Rose were, and then there's the 'judgment' dimension, where PH is, and where the rusty/bloody walls and floors are. When they're beating on the bathroom door, I don't think that's the 'normal' dimension or else the father and the police detective would have seen them, too.
lovelytourniquet
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by lovelytourniquet »

That is in the Otherworld before the switch the the Nightmare/Hellish SH.

Look guys. If they were dead then why the hell did Cybil get killed after already being killed? There are too many things that overlap and poke holes in that theory. If all of that was the case they shouldn't have bothered to call it Silent Hill since the main crux of the story is completely different (going on the whole dead theory).
[img]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/5349/lovelyvines4tj.jpg[/img]

Post by Guest »

Princesca wrote:I see the movie as having three dimensions, really. There's the normal one, where the father was, and then there's what I call the purgatory dimension, where the cultists and Rose were, and then there's the 'judgment' dimension, where PH is, and where the rusty/bloody walls and floors are. When they're beating on the bathroom door, I don't think that's the 'normal' dimension or else the father and the police detective would have seen them, too.
I agree totally with the three dimensions. However, I still have to say that what they did was in the normal dimension, because when it changed...they were killed by roaches.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Princesca wrote:Well, the cultists don't know they're dead, and it's a common theme in ghost lore that ghosts repeat actions they did in life, particularly actions that led to their death. So it makes sense that they'd burn Cybil. It's the action that condemned them - it's what they know.
Yes, it also shows the complete closed-mindedness of extremely religous people. They refused to ever see any other side than theirs. They had been so brainwashed by their own religion and ideas that it lead them to their deaths...twice.

This religion of theirs DID seem to protect them, since the church was never affected by the darkness, and the girl used Rose as a tool to get to them because she was unable to enter. So to some extent this religion was something that was indeed real and a factor as to why this alternate universe is there, and has effective rules in it.

This is the same from the SH games where virtually every inch is affected by the dark side, EXCEPT holy places. Note that the first room in the church in SH3 was never affected by it either.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I'm definitely of the opinion that Rose is dead. I'm thinking that the 'otherworld' is more like Limbo, from Dante's Inferno. It's not really hell, but it's not really heaven. This is where the people who died passed to, but what happens after that is really up in the air.

Alessa's final wish was that every one of those who made her suffer be pulled into her darkest nightmare, the 'Hell' portrayed in the movie. The cult was able to use their faith and their church as a bastion to protect them from the hell that Alessa wished upon them. Note that the miner that had been ripped apart was still alive, being eternally tormented in Alessa's hell.

Alessa needed someone to get her inside, a trojan horse that would let her break through the cultist's stronghold and extract her final revenge. She found that person in Rose, who became the mother that Dahlia never was. Where Dahlia gave up Alessa easily, Rose literally went through hell for her daughter.

Everything Rose said to the cultists and Dahlia applied to herself as well. She was dead and did not realize it. She 'survives' Alessa's attack at the end for the same reason as Dahlia, because Alessa/Sharon sees her as 'mother'.

I agree, Rose got the 'bad plus' ending.

Post by Guest »

Dastardly wrote:
Princesca wrote:Well, the cultists don't know they're dead, and it's a common theme in ghost lore that ghosts repeat actions they did in life, particularly actions that led to their death. So it makes sense that they'd burn Cybil. It's the action that condemned them - it's what they know.
Yes, it also shows the complete closed-mindedness of extremely religous people. They refused to ever see any other side than theirs. They had been so brainwashed by their own religion and ideas that it lead them to their deaths...twice.

This religion of theirs DID seem to protect them, since the church was never affected by the darkness, and the girl used Rose as a tool to get to them because she was unable to enter. So to some extent this religion was something that was indeed real and a factor as to why this alternate universe is there, and has effective rules in it.

This is the same from the SH games where virtually every inch is affected by the dark side, EXCEPT holy places. Note that the first room in the church in SH3 was never affected by it either.
Right, but there were other "safe" places too not just the church. After defeating a "boss" monster in SH, the world always returned to "normal" or in the case of the movie the "foggy dimension"; away from Sean Bean's character. I guess what I'm trying to say is it was less about their religion and sacred places and more about Alessa not being able to return to where she had been killed. (She is without a working body--it was terribly burned) So she decided to hitch a ride on Rose, and Rose's spilled blood caused Alessa's nightmare to take form and attack everyone.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

lovelytourniquet wrote:That is in the Otherworld before the switch the the Nightmare/Hellish SH.

Look guys. If they were dead then why the hell did Cybil get killed after already being killed? There are too many things that overlap and poke holes in that theory. If all of that was the case they shouldn't have bothered to call it Silent Hill since the main crux of the story is completely different (going on the whole dead theory).
On that, it's sorta hard to say, since it very well could apply to SH2. James could have very well been dead going into SH somehow. He was obviously suicidal since one ending shows him driving into the lake to drown, also water and such play a huge role in the end of the game, so it could be very likely james drown himself in SH and when we first see him is his first "awakening" in SH. It's much like how the girl walked off on the staircase that was in flames. She accepted her fate. James kept going to escape from the water, but it was always there at the end. Also it never showed him returning to the real world even in the good ending.

BUT that is just another theory for another game. There are similar points and circumstances in both games though that could point to these people already being dead in SH though
lovelytourniquet
My Bestsellers Clerk

Dastardly wrote: This religion of theirs DID seem to protect them, since the church was never affected by the darkness, and the girl used Rose as a tool to get to them because she was unable to enter. So to some extent this religion was something that was indeed real and a factor as to why this alternate universe is there, and has effective rules in it.
The alternate universe is there because Alessa created it.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Anonymous wrote:
Dastardly wrote:

Right, but there were other "safe" places too not just the church. After defeating a "boss" monster in SH, the world always returned to "normal" or in the case of the movie the "foggy dimension"; away from Sean Bean's character. I guess what I'm trying to say is it was less about their religion and sacred places and more about Alessa not being able to return to where she had been killed. (She is without a working body--it was terribly burned) So she decided to hitch a ride on Rose, and Rose's spilled blood caused Alessa's nightmare to take form and attack everyone.
I was thinking that too, but the church in SH3 was one reason i think it may have some impact, since every room in that church is completely in darkness except the front. It seems like something is stopping the darkness from corrupting whatever is protecting those rooms
ReViliTy
Just Passing Through

Post by ReViliTy »

I took the ending a couple of ways. At first it was the traditional swirv they do for a movie.

They were dead or stuck in that realm like some think from the accident clues.

The movie also made the comment and pushed the toxic fumes from the coal fire. The guys wearing the mask and mechanic saying it. For all we know, the town folk were drugged up, Sharon could be mentally messed up from living there and it was all made up.

I like how these ideas were both carried from the games. The fumes replaces the drug dealing stuff. Shove em both together, we have jacobs ladder. In this case, sharon is already mentally ill from the fumes, Rose goes into the town, sucks too much. She crashes the car and goes through a near death experence. At the end, she is back in her car. This could be if we take the last bit out.

Thinking with a sequal inmind based on sh3.
When paste face there stared at sharon, I felt it was going into her. It impregnated her. From that part on, sharon didn't act as innocent. They went to the house to say their good byes and leave before the father woke up. Rose and sharon go start a new life, dye her hair and name her heather. Many times in movies, the endings are never 100% faithful to how the sequal will use them or even redue them. That last swirv is there just to be there.

the reaper/many names could be the demonic old force in silent hill. It came to alyssa in her time of need for vengence. It seperated the good and bad. Dumping the good, sharon, off in a orphanage. Revenge and a purgatory type of deal is nothing new to sh. When she said the church people were dead, I'm not quite sure if she physically ment they were dead or mentally. If they weren't then it would fit into the need for revenge deal. With sharon as the bate, rose would come there and help alyssa gain revenge.
[b][color=red]†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††
"The Fear of Blood tends to create fear for the flesh."[/color][/b]
TerryRed
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TerryRed »

Lets not forget that Gans said himself that he had to recreate PARADISE in this movie. He also said that the foggy world was Purgatory and the Otherworld was HELL!

So my perception is that Rose has returned to what she deemed as Paradise. Being happy with her daughter...

Maybe they died in the Church at the end???? though Dalia says why didnt she take me with HER??? Hmmmmm.....

By the way loved the movie....though not totally happy with the story changes... however im still confused with the age difference between the girls. if alessa is 40 should this make Sharron 30??? I found the Cultists the weakest part of the movie.... brilliant stuff once you get past the differences from the games... we needed much more Otherside though!
The current progress of my Silent Hill pinball (video) game can be seen here:

https://youtu.be/aMklvWiUqhY
linzerdinzer

Post by linzerdinzer »

well, the idea of them being dead is very interesting, but like others.... i hope that's not the same. Like others pointed out, it would be pretty pointless if they died at the beginning... unless this is like the ring and alessa would stop at nothing to have rose as her own forever... but that would be a ripoff of the ring.

also, speaking of this movie in comparison to the ring... GRRR!! Why so many creepy little kid movies? has silent hill been reduced to that? I hope not... i hope that they plan to link to silent hill 3 by having alessa grow up to be Heather, my fave sh character.
SytheZombie

Post by SytheZombie »

ok what i think is Rose and Sharon go to their home, yet they are dead. since technicaly Silent Hill is Hell. and so they are trapped there. and chris somehow didnt crossover to the silent hill realm. so yeah rose and Sahron are going to jsut live in that realm and chris in his and thats that.
lovelytourniquet
My Bestsellers Clerk

You guys are really taking the ball and running with it. Is it just too hard for you guys to take it as it is presented? I mean, I said this before but just because there is this "hell" does not imply that they are dead. The different theories are interesting but really guys, some of you may be reading a little too into this. We can't forget that this is Silent Hill and they kept the same premise as far as Alessa creating the Otherworld.

Reality

Misty Silent Hill

Nightmare Silent Hill

Dimensions. Reality though under different circumstances and different sets of rules.

Post by Guest »

I think they've borrrowed from Japanese horror like the Ring or the Grudge. In those, the dead are trapped reliving their torment. Does anyone remember the movie Event Horizon. The veils between Hell and reality are torn open there.

I've not played the game. Could someone provide a synopsis and point out the plot differences between the game and movie.
moonspell

Post by moonspell »

laban

Post by laban »

There was a movie once that touched on what they did to Cybil.

In it, they suggested that the dead could "die" if they thought or belived first that they were "alive".

While hard to understand, they suggested that a ghost would relive its death, or even worse (as in the case of Cybil) die and move on if it entered into a new situation that could kill it. I forget what Cybil said, but I think she passed on.

By the way, did anyone notice that at the very end as they leave the chruch, you don't see Cybil's corpse? The thing is gone...
lovelytourniquet
My Bestsellers Clerk

Anonymous wrote:I think they've borrrowed from Japanese horror like the Ring or the Grudge. In those, the dead are trapped reliving their torment. Does anyone remember the movie Event Horizon. The veils between Hell and reality are torn open there.

I've not played the game. Could someone provide a synopsis and point out the plot differences between the game and movie.
No, they borrowed from the source material that was created before The Ring and The Grudge. I am actually willing to be that they are based off of Silent Hill. Anyway, I recommend you go here because it would take a while to type. Read Alessa's History and what ever else your heart desires.
moonspell

Post by moonspell »

the being with multiple names - belial, leviathan, samael, etc...."spirit"
alessa - the mother in flesh - "father"
sharon - like a daughter similar to - "son"
just like a trinity - in the name of the father and of the son and of the holy spirit.
they are all one entity but seperate - like an unholy trinity
as for the ending - think of them as living in a spiritual level. they have both found happiness in a way and just wait to be complete, like a family. there is no doubt that all three entites merged as one. there are so many comparisons between the world of silent hill and to many biblical philosophies. my theory is....samael has been reborn...now the real apocalypse is about to begin...as for a sequal - i would love to see an alternate story line. like SH2 was different from the other silent hill games....what could the story be...lets see...how about a man who is an amnesiac and claims to be the messiah...and has his origins in silent hill...who knows maybe he is the messiah...and then we find out they are all aliens....just a thought...
Loveless_Dogg
Historical Society Historian

Post by Loveless_Dogg »

laban wrote:By the way, did anyone notice that at the very end as they leave the chruch, you don't see Cybil's corpse? The thing is gone...
Continuity error.
Value your failures more than your successes. Successes only last until someone screws them up. Failures are forever. She left...and...I'm lost.