Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 02 Sep 2014

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 57  Next

Subway Guard
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 May 2008
Notes left: 1683
Last seen at: Houston, Tx.
Xev wrote:
Now what you said about Chris is very interesting and now that I think of it throughout the movie he only asks for Rose. He calls for her only, not Sharon, when they go to the town and he does not mention Sharon until he has to for information at the orphanage. It is so quick in the beginning it passed me by when he talks about giving her up.

I think the biggest point is where he tells Officer Gucci, 'For God's sake, I'm trying to find my wife!'. He doesn't mention anything about Sharon also being missing, which amazed me because what father doesn't care that his 9-year-old child has disappeared in an abandoned town with a coal fire still burning beneath it?

Xev wrote:
I think calling Rose a spoiled housewife seems harsh though, we never see the whole background and how they lived. I think its maybe Radha's conviction and determination in the role that leads me to believe she was of stronger character. In the end it was her choice though, to go alone.

The original script (if I recall correctly) showed Rose didn't have a job, and since they're clearly very rich people, I drew the conclusion that she's probably fairly spoiled. But you're right about the fact that we never see the complete story. According to Radha and Gans, Rose was never meant to be someone who was likeable in the beginning. The audience was then meant to connect with her more and more as she went from screaming and fainting to willingly descending into the darkness to find her child. It was a great bit of character development, I think.

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 10 Oct 2008
Notes left: 709
If the wife was someone who stayed home with her "ill" daughter, how does that make her spoiled?

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11289
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Because she effectively has no real-life concerns except for her daughter. She lives in peace and luxury. She is in, as the script pretty much calls it, "heaven."

Post subject:

Missing since: 05 Jul 2010
Notes left: 3270
Last seen at: Kentucky
@Aura: That's kind of what I was getting at in my post, but it's Heaven to Alessa. The fog world is like Heaven. Just her and Rose. It's sweet.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Jul 2010
Notes left: 2
This movie was shit. I'm not sure what to make of any of it, but sure it's not worth it to try.

Henry Miller

Post subject:

@Aerith: Sorry, I should've clarified. In the early scenes where Rose and Sharon are playing and sitting in the sunny field, the script refers to it as "like heaven."

Post subject:

Oh, really? That's fine. I was a little confused. It would be like heaven to Rose, she loves Sharon so much and it's just them both together. I know Rose loves Chris, but it hurt me, and I'm sure it really hurt her, when he pretty much implied getting her put away somewhere. :\

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 06 Jul 2010
Notes left: 48
Last seen at: London, Walthamstow
:? wasnt sure whether i should post this here, as it probably sounds stupid and off topic. :oops: but i think Chris does love Sharon, as much as he loves Rose. only he wanted her to go to the institution, because he wanted to do the right thing in his mind. even if it was wrong as he wanted his family to go back to normal.

i apologise if i sound stupid, :oops:

Post subject:

silentprincess wrote:
:? wasnt sure whether i should post this here, as it probably sounds stupid and off topic. :oops: but i think Chris does love Sharon, as much as he loves Rose. only he wanted her to go to the institution, because he wanted to do the right thing in his mind. even if it was wrong as he wanted his family to go back to normal.

i apologise if i sound stupid, :oops:

No, you're fine. I mean, it is about the movie and how it affects the ending, I guess. Well, I can understand that, but when Rose goes to Silent Hill to 'help' Sharon alone, it shows his lack of fighting will for his daughter. He wouldn't let Rose do that, but instead wanted to take the easy route of putting Sharon into an institution so he and Rose can sit back and not have to get their hands dirty. It's really what it makes the viewer think. I think he does have some kind of apparition where he realizes that he needs to put a foot down, but was it really to help Sharon, or to ultimately find Rose? We'll never know.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

:oops: i feel really stupid like i didnt think it through enough, its true though we dont know.

Post subject:

He never, once, asks about Sharon's whereabouts or safety. He doesn't even shout her name when looking for Rose. On top of that, he wanted to put Sharon in an institution, knowing they couldn't cure her. In other words, but putting her in an institution, he is knowingly putting Sharon out of their lives forever.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

:oops: sorry for being thick and stupid on the subject, i have probably made myself out to be a very thick person.

Post subject:

silentprincess wrote:
:oops: sorry for being thick and stupid on the subject, i have probably made myself out to be a very thick person.

No, you haven't. Silent Hill as a whole has so much meaning behind what you think it has. It can be really hard to understand, but when you do, you're like, "Oh wow. That makes perfect sense." Don't feel stupid, it's okay.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 03 Jan 2010
Notes left: 791
AuraTwilight wrote:
He never, once, asks about Sharon's whereabouts or safety. He doesn't even shout her name when looking for Rose. On top of that, he wanted to put Sharon in an institution, knowing they couldn't cure her. In other words, but putting her in an institution, he is knowingly putting Sharon out of their lives forever.

I agree, he never even shouts her name at the start when they're looking for her, it's only Rose shouting, and even then he makes woefully inept attempts to get to Sharon (he was somehow behind Rose and thought that instead of taking the nice, safe underpass Rose had taken, running in front of an eighteen wheeler was a much better option!) It also seems like he only takes interest in Sharon when she's a threat to him being with Rose (I think he only mentions loving Sharon when Rose is about to go to Silent Hill as a last-ditch attempt to stop her going).

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Notes left: 115
Last seen at: Britain
To be fair, the reason that Christopher shows a complete lack on interest in his daughter is probably because Gans thought that'd be silly and feminine. Leave that to Wifey, Christopher is going to run around shouting his WIFE'S name. Wife! Because he is a Man! And Men have wives!

"Don't you know there ain't no devil,
it's just god when he's drunk"

Post subject:

LuciaInFurs wrote:
To be fair, the reason that Christopher shows a complete lack on interest in his daughter is probably because Gans thought that'd be silly and feminine. Leave that to Wifey, Christopher is going to run around shouting his WIFE'S name. Wife! Because he is a Man! And Men have wives!

Men don't have children? xD

Shadow wrote:
It also seems like he only takes interest in Sharon when she's a threat to him being with Rose.

I think I may have put that in my post, actually something similar, but none-the-less I have to say that I agree. His main concern in finding Sharon is because he thinks that if he finds her then he'll find Rose. Simple. That's really sad, though. It seems as if, in Alessa/Sharon's eyes that maybe a life with just Rose in the Fog World would be so much better, but in the end Rose would still miss her husband. :\

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jun 2010
Notes left: 65
Last seen at: Texas, USA
Why is it that Sean Bean never gets to play nice guys? I mean, the one time he's not a villain, and he's still kind of a prick.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Notes left: 115
Last seen at: Britain
Aerith Gainsborough wrote:
LuciaInFurs wrote:

My point being that the directer of the film seems to think that it's unnatural for men to show concern about their kids.
Yeah, I'm still not over that.

"Don't you know there ain't no devil,
it's just god when he's drunk"

Subway Guard
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 May 2008
Notes left: 1683
Last seen at: Houston, Tx.
There were other reasons for changing Harry to Rose besides just the motherhood thing. For one, Gans felt Harry's screaming and constant fainting was a feminine trait (which is sexist, but we all know that audiences would have picked on a male lead who fainted and screamed a lot). He also wanted the movie to follow a path of motherhood, using the different females to compare different types of mothering (Christabella tending to her flock, Rose fighting for Sharon, Dahlia abandoning Alessa, etc).
As for Chris, Gans has said that Chris loves Rose more than he loves Sharon, and it's based on that fact that the family ends up being destroyed.

Post subject:

LuciaInFurs wrote:
Aerith Gainsborough wrote:
LuciaInFurs wrote:

My point being that the directer of the film seems to think that it's unnatural for men to show concern about their kids.
Yeah, I'm still not over that.

Do you think Gans would really do that? If so he's very mistaken.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 57  Next