My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Eraserface »

Here's my opinion:
I saw the movie, and I liked it.
There. Simple as that.
pink_isnt_well000
Historical Society Historian

Post by pink_isnt_well000 »

That's nice but this thread isn't for your reviews...its for professional's.
theshaman
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by theshaman »

put it this way... the film is gettin more bad than good reviews because the audience that didnt play the game felt very confused when watching the movie.. some of the reviews are a sham though.. but lets be honest, critics are critics.. they'd try and destroy any film
there are things known and unknown, in between is silent hill
FBA 6100
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by FBA 6100 »

theshaman wrote:put it this way... the film is gettin more bad than good reviews because the audience that didnt play the game felt very confused when watching the movie.. some of the reviews are a sham though.. but lets be honest, critics are critics.. they'd try and destroy any film
I wouldn't say that. You are basically told the entire plot when Rose enters the hospital room at the end.
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/sven14/Sigs/26ac0108.gif[/img]
Krysta
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Krysta »

this is insane :shock: how can community of profesional reviewers and game fans be so extreme diffrent.Yes I know we game fans had a lot easier task then "them" but still if movie is really crappy it really is and non fanatism can make you blind for that , I;m talking here bout concrete examples - did Doom fans were amazed by the Doom-Movie?? Not they werent cuz that movie simply suked, etc , not mentioning Uwe Bolls....I dunno its not that im worried about their reviews , cuz its not my loss, but after my own good experience with the movie I thought other had at least similar or lil diffrent but still positive, but well seeing "total crap" review gives me answer.Those 2 hourse werent my loss of time so , whatever loofs :lol:

BTW :
I BET many critics enjoyed this movie , but after seeing their teachers/mentors or just some well known reviewers notes they just didn't want to make fools from them selfs.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

well i didn't know much about SH before i watched the movie, i knew it was a game. one scary game.
in the beginning i was only a question mark. what is going on here?
wasn't untill she met the demon i understood what was happening.

the movie was confusing, kinda fits the game i guess. lots of questions when the movie was done.
but overall it was a good movie, very entertaining. tho i would wish we saw more of rose rather then seing all of those scenes with her husband.
it wasn't much of a scary movie as it was a movie that had a very interesting atmosphere.
i found this movie to be very interesting and "new" i would give it a 5 out of 6
basically because it was "new"

it was the movie, and mr triangle man which led me into this SH mania. :mrgreen:
LastGunslinger
Woodside Apartments Janitor
Location: The most extreme and utter region of the human mind.

Post by LastGunslinger »

Among a group of self-professed geeks, several of whom are hyper-critical as befitting the stereotype, I have made peace with my ability to enjoy less than brilliant movies. Part of this is because I know how hard it is to create something of any magnitude, and in the process of creation most people lose objectivity, or they don't have a sense of what the public wants in the first place. This is why you'll see movies like "The Chronicles of Riddick" on my shelf next to "Donnie Darko," and bands like HIM next to Johann Sebastian Bach.

That said, I recognise that the script was badly written (which is remarkable for Roger Avary, who is usually an excellent writer). I recognise that some of the choices made seemed a bit silly in the context of a film, particularly the scene with the nurses at the end, and the unnecessary narration of the flashback sequence (although the flashback visual itself was very nicely done).

While these things were prevalent throughout the whole film, that's the limit of the bad things I have to say about it. Considering the dialogue they had, the acting was very well done; it's just difficult to be convincing when you have to say unconvincing things. The visuals, as most people will agree, were excellent. The plot itself was fine; I always take it as a sign of a good adaptation when you take basic elements of a story and make it your own, which is what Gans did. If you want to adapt the game precisely as it was made originally, just remake it as a video game with next gen graphics so the newer crowd can enjoy it without PSX pixellation. The idea of a group of people being damned for their evil deeds and not realising it, being blinded by their faith, is a compelling one; it's a statement of what can happen when belief supercedes logic, like nationalism in Nazi Germany or the crusades of the Catholic Church. The world of Silent Hill fit this type of story perfectly, and it was the story Gans wanted to tell.

So I accept what the movie tried to do (be an awesome and unique film based on the themes, motifs and style of one of gaming's most artful franchises), I accept what it failed to do (be excellent in terms of writing, pacing, and suspension of disbelief), and I accept what succeeded to do (be visually excellent, genuinely creepy and disturbing and frightening in parts, have a compelling storyline, and maintain the style and tone of the game series). Reviewers should take all three aspects into account, and while everyone places varying degrees of importance on each aspect, a good review should not be lacking in any one of them.

The bad things about this film don't ruin the good things for me. I wish it could have been excellent all around, but it's still going to be added to my DVD collection as soon as it comes out, and I will get in the mood to watch it more often than many of my other movies, because there's just something interesting about it.
“The sinister, the terrible never deceive: the state in which they leave us is always one of enlightenment. And only this condition of vicious insight allows us a full grasp of the world, all things considered, just as a frigid melancholy grants us full possession of ourselves. We may hide from horror only in the heart of horror."
--Thomas Ligotti
Warrior of Death
Just Passing Through

Post by Warrior of Death »

Hey I just read that the director's original cut for the movie was set to three and a half hours! That would have been awesome! I'm not the type of person that gets bored with long movies, so it would definitively be worth watching for me because the movie needed more fights and locations!
Smokey
Gravedigger

Post by Smokey »

Anonymous wrote:Screw the critics. Their panties are in a wad because they
...studied film and had to review another terrible film based on years and years of professional dissection of the art and the difference between the good and the bad.

The visuals were nice but they were nothing we haven't seen - the story poorly written, poorly constructed and...like one of the reviews plainly states...insulted the intelligence of the audience.

Even a film as outlandish as this has the responsibility of allowing the audience to suspend disbelief enough to feel as though if these things were true - this is how they would happen. And this movie takes itself too seriously to ignore that fundamental rule - however it does. I walked in, suspended my disbelief and I still did not believe - that is a failed film in any genre. A bad movie.
If you can read this, I'll kill you.
Arthemesic
Historical Society Historian

Post by Arthemesic »

The DVDTimes External Fans' review was pretty much what I am about.

"Thank God it's not Uwe Boll" -Blesseth be thy sentence!

But one thing I'm not coping with in the movie, was the alley scene.
Victory Of The Soul, Triumph Over Ordeal
Larson
Gravedigger

Post by Larson »

I have no idea whether this guy is a professional or not but is there any place this link would fit if not here?

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videol ... ilent-hill
Mantorok Narokath Redgormor
Naughty Nurses
Gravedigger

Post by Naughty Nurses »

^He can't be professional, he's Canadian.