"Get rid of Christabella, use Dahlia"

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

Blue Jester
Just Passing Through

"Get rid of Christabella, use Dahlia"

Post by Blue Jester »

It occured to me it may have been better if they used Dahlia in Christabella's role.

1. One less character, simplifies the complexity.

2. Ties in with SH1 as Dahlia becomes the cult leader and arguably more evil liek the game

3. Allows us to have a bad mother vs. good mother conflict over, technically, the same child.

4. Gives more support to the "immaculate conception" of Alessa. The purpose of her immolation and the cult's focus on witch burning would need to change to be more aligned with the cult in SH1, but this shouldn't pose much of a problem....IMO anyways.
"Without rules, we'd all be up in trees throwing crap at each other."
Krysta
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Krysta »

its all over now anyway , so I dont see point in discussing about which one shuld be taking Christabellas place :mrgreen:
Moosefrenzy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Moosefrenzy »

It all ties into the face that the movie was an adaptation of the game. New elements and old were used alike to create something new and exciting for fans of the games and movie watchers alike.

Anyway, then the whole "We fight the sin not the sinner" theme would be lost if Dahlia's role wasn't what it was.
jester
Just Passing Through

Post by jester »

even though i did agree that it would be the samuel cult with dahlia in charge, i think it came out pretty well with christebella and the 'christian'-based cult.

at least it won't give media the reason to believe people went on a satan worshipping sacrifice killing spree becuase of the movie ...then again it is a good arguement to get the insanity plea .....

the good vurses bad mother, that could be exaggerated a bit more like they were claiming it would be, but in a way it should that dahlia is a bad example of a mother becuase she let her child go, she let christebella inflict the "punishment". where as rose fought for sharon, who wasn't even hers really.
[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y100/a7xjester/punishmentbannercopy.jpg[/img]
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yea, but Dahlia's role as it is in the movie is perfect. She was the loving mother who was too weak to stand up for her child. The whole idea is to compare Alessa's suffering to the Salem Witch Trials (which is undeniable), and if Dahlia was the one doing the burning, that whole motif would've been lost.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
mikey mike
Just Passing Through

Post by mikey mike »

I liked Dahlia a lot more in the movie than in the game. in the game she's a crazy psycho *female dog* but in the movie she's just a victim of bad advice and you really feel sorry for her. she'll spend the rest of her life in that foggy world for taking the wrong advice. that shot when she see's Alessa after she's burnt and breaks down just sells her character, can't help but feel for her

Christabella was a great character in the movie. she wasn't evil in a cartoony way, but evil in a controlled holier than thou way.

maybe for the next one they could have Dahlia snap and become crazy but for now I like it the way she is in the movie. works really well
Evil wakes in vengeance, be careful what you choose
zaftgirl
Just Passing Through

Post by zaftgirl »

Hmmm if there were to be a sequel, do you think Claudia would fit into the role of the next cult priestess? o.o;;; *curious*
jester
Just Passing Through

Post by jester »

unless she came out of nowhere and started the cult back up or was an original that some how survived, i don't think it would be possible, but how it ended it left it open for something that could happen about claudia or a character similiar to claudia
[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y100/a7xjester/punishmentbannercopy.jpg[/img]
dan369
Just Passing Through

Post by dan369 »

i agree, had a much better role in the game

but its too late now :)
substitute_reality
Just Passing Through

Post by substitute_reality »

Claudia in the game was Alessa's sister ... So obviously I don't think alessa would kill her sister.. Anyways .. they made the movie more .."generalised" so that everybody could sortof understand Silent Hill.. They should have kept the same names though I think... Anyways... yuh... Prruuunnesss o_O
[img]http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/oi_nat/substitute_reality.jpg[/img]
The Necronoir
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by The Necronoir »

She's unlikely to have been her literal biological sister. Sister was used in the sense of a religious relation. Using your logic the nun in the movie must be related to Chris...
Live the nightmare conceived by Adam Crowley:
[img]http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/9746/nightmarecreaturesiconwx0.png[/img]
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Not even that. They were just Best Friends 4EVER!!!
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
lain of the wired
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

Claudia in the game was Alessa's sister ... So obviously I don't think alessa would kill her sister..
Where did you get that idea? She was most definately not her sister. Seriously, what lead you to that conclusion?
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Well, there is the birthday card that says "I love you like a sister! Happy 6th Birthday!" But then I guess people miss the "like" thing.
zaftgirl
Just Passing Through

Post by zaftgirl »

o_o;; Alessa is definately NOT related to Claudia. They were just very very close friends due to the fact that they have alot in common (parents were in The Order, both were abused as children etc etc).

The birthday card just literally meant that Alessa loves Claudia just like sisters in a family do, signifying that they were really really good buddies.
substitute_reality
Just Passing Through

well i'm sorry in the game she said Allessa my dearest sister.. and in the birthday card it said happy birthday sister and stuff like that obviously led me to the conclusion that they were sisters...... Maybe it was just in the way of we call a priest father and a nun sister.. Maybe. I'm not the least bit catholic and do not really stress myself over what they call themselfs... So that is how I came to that conclusion
The Necronoir
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by The Necronoir »

The fact that they didn't share their last name (Alessa Gillespie & Claudia Wolf) didn't suggest anything to you though?
[img]http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/9746/nightmarecreaturesiconwx0.png[/img]
substitute_reality
Just Passing Through

no. My bfs name is different then his sisters name... (last name)
lain of the wired
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

Um. That's nice.

"Sister" was used as a term of endearment. Not a description. I've never, anywhere in this forum, seen someone confuse the two as being related. That makes you the first. Congradulations. :|
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
The Necronoir
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by The Necronoir »

Actually there was a thread on this topic in the SH3 section. Ironically I came down on the 'Claudia is possibly Heather's half-sister' side of the argument in that instance. I still think there is a case for it but I can't cite any evidence beyond my individual opinion.