Scary or Not?

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

Chrism~
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chrism~ »

It's really hard to find a scary movie nowdays.

The movie was mainly disturbing, some horror and gore scenes but also the adaptation of a disturbing plot.

The only part where the movie became slightly scary was at the scene where Rose arrives at Silent Hill, when she goes underground. Other than that, it was just the "run, get out of there" feeling.

Don't get me wrong, it is hard to make a scary movie out of Silent Hill since you can't take so many liberties as in the games. (like for example the poor lighting)
And because it would take out the artistic feeling throughout the movie, the story, layers and the atmosphere, because this is an adaptation . Which brings me to my next point, this felt a lot like an "adventure movie", since the audience who enjoyed it, liked to discover more about the story, the monsters and the town itself.
theshaman
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by theshaman »

there were definatly scary moments in the film alright, the first part with the monsters and thees quite few other, but I think it lacked a little bit of phycological scaryness...
there are things known and unknown, in between is silent hill
alessas angel
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by alessas angel »

The movie was not scary, but it was good. I suggest the movie.
Life changes daily so go with it!
King Crimson
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by King Crimson »

movies havent scared me since I was 8 years old. besides While I was watching silent hill I was to exited to be scared the least bit.
Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. There is no spoon.
Rule of Rose
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Rule of Rose »

it was scary when PH came in.....and kicked major ass 8)
She said her blood turns to ash
Burning eyes can't forgive you
Howling moon drives on
And deep in me
Your illusion
What you see in me
KaylaSparky8
Just Passing Through

Post by KaylaSparky8 »

I thought the movie was pretty scary.Especially the part where PH shoves his knife through the door and they have to dodge it.
[img]http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m217/kaylasparky8/sig.jpg[/img]
Daddyuwarbash
Just Passing Through

Post by Daddyuwarbash »

It's a little hard for me to be scared by a movie, except ones dealing w/ demon possessions and stuff straight out of a satanic bible. Not a fan of that anymore.

The only part my heart beat faster on was when Cybil got burned. If you ever got burned a bit on the hand or something, just imagine having your whole body burning :shock:
Obscurity
Just Passing Through

Post by Obscurity »

The movie and games have never really scared me, more as they did just create an eerie atmosphere. The scenarios, creatures, and everything else is more or less disturbing than scary.
RedRaven_23
Just Passing Through

Post by RedRaven_23 »

When I saw the film in the Theatre with a friend, we were walking out and she asked me what I thought. My exact words were, "Oh my God, I'm going to hell for watching this movie." The only other thing that ever horrified me that much was when one of my high school buddies showed me a video he found on the internet of a guy blowing his brains out.
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

If you've watched the extra features on the DVD, you know Gans was going for disturbing, not so much scary. Still, I wouldn't think it unreasonable to describe at least a couple parts as being on the scary side, though. I don't know about you, but to me, the whole school scene where everything just goes to hell and Rose is desperate... qualifies as scary, especially when putting myself in the situation.

The SH movie is not quite a horror movie in the same sense as you'd consider most others... but I think the movie really did well with creating that Silent Hill atmosphere. Well, at least in some ways, and that's enough to make me happy.
therednurse
Just Passing Through

Post by therednurse »

I didn't find the movie scary at all, and I have a very weak stomach for horror movies usually. I don't even know if I would call it disturbing, but that might be because I'm so desensitized to the Silent Hill type of horror. Maybe the part after Rose has the run in with the janitor in the otherworld school, and you can hear him screaming while she's running around shining her flashlight on the decaying bodies that are hanging around. That's the only moment that I could say I find somewhat disturbing.
The last time I watched the movie I got really emotional about it though. I was crying at the end scene in the church because I found it so sad that hatred had turned a little girl into this horrible monster.
Raina Audron
Just Passing Through

Post by Raina Audron »

I didn´t find the movie scary at all. If I want to be scared, I´d play at night SH when alone.. :twisted:
Blood Puppet
Just Passing Through

Post by Blood Puppet »

I didn't find the movie scary at all. But the atmosphere was quite creepy at times and the Grey Children were pretty disturbing. I was very excited about the film when I saw it the first time. I just wanted to see how well they captured the right feel, so that probably took away from the scariness as well. Anyway, I still enjoyed the movie, but it didn't do justice to the games in my opinion.
Obscurity
Just Passing Through

Post by Obscurity »

The only time I felt on-edge was during the Grey Children scene. Cybil being burnt alive also got to me, but that was more disturbing and twisted than it was scary or frightening.
Lauz41
Just Passing Through

Post by Lauz41 »

It wasn't really scary for me, more disturbing. The only scenes that really got to me were the burning of Alessa and Cybil. Something about cooking people just doesn't quite sit well with me.
I'm going to kill you. And all the cake is gone.
StaticRadio
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by StaticRadio »

You know, I didn't find it either really scary or disturbing; however I thought it was entertaining and very well done visually. I kind of felt that Gans captured the look of the games to some extent, but not the feel. I think the film also suffered because it was trying to shoot for a more general film audience and not just the gamers.

As a result the games are (as of Homecoming) looking a little more like the movie. Which is really a pretty strange idea. Can you imagine if Nintendo put Bob Hoskins' and John Leguizamo's mugs on their latest Mario games? YEESH!

I feel that if I want to watch a serious Silent Hill movie I'll watch something that inspired it, like Jacob's Ladder or The Shining. But I do like the Silent Hill movie purely for its visual aspects.
"Just because you're paranoid...don't mean they're not after you"
Nillin
Hope House Careworker

Post by Nillin »

It really stuck with me, in a creepy sort of way. As StaticRadio said, it wasn't really scary, or disturbing, but it was... Eerie. I think Gans did capture the atmosphere perfectly. There was a feeling of dread throughout the entire movie, at least I thought so. And the Janitor was quite scary, I'd have to admit. For his brief appearance, he was one twisted fuck.

Nothing can beat the feeling of playing a Silent Hill game though. The atmosphere and monsters can't be beaten by anything. Siren does come close though, and that's understandable due to its creator (which was the director of SH1? I believe he was the director; he was involved in some way.)
I once was lost, but am now profound.
Enika
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Enika »

I don't remember being particularly scared by it, but I was in a room with a group of people seeing it, as well. I found some parts of it disturbing, but I think what really got me was the atmosphere. It really creeped me out, and I shudder to think of being caught in that situation with those particular surroundings.