38%
Music was fine.
62%

Total votes: 60

Lafayette_Reynolds
Just Passing Through

Re: Silence is always good...

Post by Lafayette_Reynolds »

The only time I disliked the music placement was when Christabella and her miners were walking down the stairs out of the church, it just seemed like a rap music video.

I really liked the track that played when Rose was searching through the halls of the nightmare hospital, I dont think it was from the games.
Pleasant Sinner
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Pleasant Sinner »

Promise Reprise was overused? Huh, I gotta watch that movie again, but I'm sure that given its recognition it probably is.

And my vote...eh, more silence would kinda make the film boring for some. However, if it recreates a certain frightening feel, then I'm for it!
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Depends for me. Some scares I find get to me far more when they're not announced with musical cues and announced to me, I kinda like to be left to discover them myself etc., I remember this advert here in the UK about not drink driving, showing a guy being haunted by the twisted body of this child he hit, like hallucinating it, but it'd often be in the background or just in shot, without any close-up or musical sting or whatever, you're left to sort of see it by yourself, and it was actually pretty horrific!

At the same time though, movies by David Lynch, in particular the amazing Inland Empire, have had me mortified with the music and sounds, but these are clever chords and effects, not the same-old grinding metal sounds you always have leading up into a jump in every horror movie today.

So I say, go either way, just don't be predictable. Don't use scary music just because a scene is supposed to be scary - it might be scarier in silence, but also, don't use silence just because it's supposed to be quiet - heck when you stop the music we usually know a jump is coming - be creative and unusual with it. I find the scariest horror movies tend to be the ones which are the most experimental, rather than the ones which just use methods already known to be scary.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Lucignolo
Just Passing Through

Post by Lucignolo »

Music...but not for the whole lenght of the movie...
gostoneph17
Just Passing Through

Post by gostoneph17 »

Lafayette_Reynolds wrote:The only time I disliked the music placement was when Christabella and her miners were walking down the stairs out of the church, it just seemed like a rap music video.

I really liked the track that played when Rose was searching through the halls of the nightmare hospital, I dont think it was from the games.

I made that song just recently xD. Check out this playlist, it's track 40: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... re=mh_lolz
About the score and silence, I think they used the music pretty well, and there were some moments of silence, like when Rose encounters the nurses. The music placement was very good, like when Rose enters SH the Rising Sun song fitted very well, as well as Hear Nothing in the school. Again Rising Sun played when Rose goes to the old church, where Alessa was burnt, it gives you this feeling that the place is haunted and abandoned. But, some tracks were just too short and sometimes lacked some nice parts of the game version (like Maternal Heart, Clockwork Little Happiness..).
TommyC
Just Passing Through

Post by TommyC »

I love the music. Total silence... maybe, but I prefer sound. I played the movie over so many times but I have never gotten bored of it yet, the music keeps my attention wholeheartedly. The sounds and the environment plays just in the right places.

Totally silent films bores the heck out of me so I'm not a very big fan of suspense.
Also, this movie introduced a lot of what was Silent Hill, it sorta was my "gateway drug" to Silent Hill in a way. Anyways, the silence and smothering atmosphere worked in the games, doesn't mean it'll work everywhere else too. Unless, maybe, if it was played right, but I doubt it.