Monster Symbolism

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

The grey children to me were a manifestation of Rose's worries about Sharon, hence them crying and clawing at her like they need a Mommy...

The 'lying figure' straight jacket monster seemed to come from Rose feeling trapped by the handcuffs. She had just had her hands cuffed behind her back and then a monster shows up with no arms, struggling as if it's non-arms are tied behind it's back.
The monsters aren't anyone's manifestations but Alessa's.
they should have put that on the movie, it woulsd've explained some things, like her phychic powers
What needed to be explained? She was born with psychic powers.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

It's the natural result of you not in the know bout who yo babydaddy be.
Miss Dee
Just Passing Through

Post by Miss Dee »

AuraTwilight wrote:
What needed to be explained? She was born with psychic powers.
That wasn't mentioned in the movie though was it? I can't remember, it's been ages since I watched it.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/ladyoftherealm/lh-sig.png[/img]
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Miss Dee wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote: What needed to be explained? She was born with psychic powers.
That wasn't mentioned in the movie though was it? I can't remember, it's been ages since I watched it.
'She even hurt someone who was only curious!' It's not standard behavior for nine-year-old children to burn peoples' eyes without touching them. It's also strongly implied that Alessa's hate was responsible for wilting the flowers next to her bed.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Hell, it's explicitly stated. "Her hate began to change the world."

And since Dark Alessa is part of Alessa's soul, well, 2 + 2.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Alessandro
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Alessandro »

'She even hurt someone who was only curious!' It's not standard behavior for nine-year-old children to burn peoples' eyes without touching them. It's also strongly implied that Alessa's hate was responsible for wilting the flowers next to her bed.

but the movie was so vague that it doesn't really come in mind.
If the butterfly scene WAS shown, it could have explained why the children taunted her so much, why Cristabella wanted to purify her and why she was thought to be a witch.

The first couple of times I saw the movie, it just seemed like The salem witch trials type of situation where a regular person was acussed for no reason at all. If this was shown, it would've shown she was out of the ordinary and thus making the plot a bit more cohesive and understanding than "OMFG bastard! she has to be a wicth!!1!!1!!1!
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Alessandro wrote:

If the butterfly scene WAS shown, it could have explained why the children taunted her so much, why Cristabella wanted to purify her and why she was thought to be a witch.

The first couple of times I saw the movie, it just seemed like The salem witch trials type of situation where a regular person was acussed for no reason at all. If this was shown, it would've shown she was out of the ordinary and thus making the plot a bit more cohesive and understanding than "OMFG bastard! she has to be a wicth!!1!!1!!1!
I don't see how showing a nine-year-old girl wilting flowers and burning a nurse (and with a voiceover that confirms it was her, no less) is vague.
Alessandro
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Alessandro »

JRamirez35 wrote:
Alessandro wrote:

I don't see how showing a nine-year-old girl wilting flowers and burning a nurse (and with a voiceover that confirms it was her, no less) is vague.
Well, I watched this with some friends last night and they didn't seem to really notice.
I had to explained what happened to them, as they didn't know the game or anything.

not everyone might think so, but it is rather vague.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I think some people could interpret it that Alessa's hate was so strong that it changed the world by itself, I do think perhaps it could have used a little more clarity of how she was "different", maybe a couple of object-moving scenes like Carrie or something... Either way though, it was such a kickass movie.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Alessandro
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Alessandro »

I do think perhaps it could have used a little more clarity of how she was "different", maybe a couple of object-moving scenes like Carrie or something...

yeah, that's what i've always thought too. If a scene like that was shown, it would've made more sense as why Alessa was so bullied and all that crap.

I explained this to my friends, but they just thought that Alessa was a regular girl without power until Dark Alessa came in.

by the way, could Dark Alessa be considered a symbolic monster?
Miasmal_Justice
Just Passing Through

Post by Miasmal_Justice »

It's not standard behavior for nine-year-old children to burn peoples' eyes without touching them.
You haven't met many 9-year olds have you...:twisted:

I don't like the idea of Alessa being psychic or whatever though. To imply that she had powers before contacted by dark Alessa is retarded. If she already has the ability to burn out nurses eyeballs, then why did she need help from Dark Alessa? It would fit the whole "deal with the devil" format much better if she was an oridnary girl wrongly judged and persecuted, and only offered acceptance, security, and a chance for bloody revenge by a being of pure evil. If she DID have weird witch powers than really it's not so shocking that she was treated so horribly by the entire town. It may be the truth of that movie that Alessa was a weird little super-girl given even MORE bad-ass powers by the devil, but if that's true then it's just another stupid plot element in that movie. :) That's what I think.
XIII Death "Uniqueness lived fully"
King of Cups "Sustaining Desire"
Judgement XX "Daily Rebirth"
V Cups, VI Cups, VII Cups "End of Illusions, Fountain of Youth, Dreams Lived"
IV The Emperor "Pioneer of Love", O The Fool "Zero as Model", IX The Hermit "Healing". That's [b]me[/b], Baby.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

There's no devil in the movie. Dark Alessa is the manifestation of the dark side of Alessa's soul.
Alessandro
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Alessandro »

If she DID have weird witch powers than really it's not so shocking that she was treated so horribly by the entire town.

which is exactly my point: Cristabella would've had a motive, which would have made the harrasment, Dahlia's decision, and the purification justified.
There's no devil in the movie. Dark Alessa is the manifestation of the dark side of Alessa's soul.
That's an expression, friend.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

I'm not sure what you mean by 'expression'.
Alessandro
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Alessandro »

figure of speech. a "deal with the devil" means when someone gives in to the dark to accomplish something, usually giving something up in return, as Alessa did.

though i dont think it's the devil.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Miasmal appears to be saying the character is literally the devil.
Alessandro
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Alessandro »

^ I didn't think so, but if he/she is, then I would have to disagree.

Jodelle and Gans have stated that Dark Alessa is just that; the darkest part of Alessa's soul manifested.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

In the special features, Gans refers to Dark Alessa as "The Devil" but being French Canadian, that's to be taken differently as outside of the US, talk of Devils is more metaphorical and lovecraftian and far less "red, horned guy who is against God"

(Listen out for him impersonating the young actress, it's incredibly funny to hear the thick French accent doing a squeaky voice saying "I alvays vanted to play ze defful!")

But in the movie it was implied that Dark Alessa was some kind of entity which visited and merged with Alessa, not which was created from her, just that it took her form once it saw her. The whole demon/Devil clue is in the line "I have many names. Right now I'm the dark part of Alessa".

I don't consider the being to be THE Devil, I think of it more from a "The Exorcist" perspective as something beyond understanding - legion, demons, the unknown.

I actually found this to be so much more haunting than the game's original story.
Alessandro
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Alessandro »

I actually found this to be so much more haunting than the game's original story.

So did I. Though I was hoping this would take the place of the god from the videogame.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

But in the movie it was implied that Dark Alessa was some kind of entity which visited and merged with Alessa, not which was created from her, just that it took her form once it saw her. The whole demon/Devil clue is in the line "I have many names. Right now I'm the dark part of Alessa".
She said that because the cult invented all sorts of names for the dark part of Alessa, like "Demon". When she speaks to Rose, she's basically saying, "I'm not speaking to you as their devil, but as what I really am."