Question: Cybill and the boy in the mineshaft

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

silenced angel
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by silenced angel »

I think that the story of Cybil and the boy was just to amply Cybil's background, I mean, we don't actualy see much of her.

Someone posted something about Cybil being affected by the town that time she saved the boy, I think that could be another possibility, they mention it to make us know that Cybil had a previous experience at Silent Hill.
nanook in heaven...
Hell_is_Silent
Cafe5to2 Waitress
Location: Deep down in places you don't talk about at parties.

Post by Hell_is_Silent »

Okay, I hate to revive a long dead topic, but...

I noticed a third place in the movie where it discusses The Boy thrown down a mine vent. In the websites that Chris reads about Silent Hill, if you pause them and read whats written there, it is an article about Silent Hill, and about Gucci, and at one point it mentions that a child was:

Chopped up and thrown down the mine vent

Now, I assume that this is perhaps something that they intended to include in the movie, but later decided to change to "Cybil saves the child", but knew that most would not read the website. However, I did find it interesting.

Cybil never mentions the state of the boy. She only says that a boy was snatched and thrown down a vent. Gucci is the one that says that she stayed down there with him for 3 days until they were rescued.

I know Gucci is supposed to be one of the good guys, and probably nothing to deep is going on there, but this is another in a list of things that don't seem right about him (all of which can be explained away - but at first glance just seem wrong)

1. Gucci at time of fire (1970's) looks pretty much the same age as Present Gucci
2. He says "We'll find your wife... and daughter" but at this point Chris had only mentioned his wife was missing.
3. See Above.

Nothing earth shattering... Just interesting
[img]http://myspace-237.vo.llnwd.net/00776/73/23/776203237_l.jpg[/img]
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Wow, I never noticed that. Though it might also mean that Cybil saved a ghost or something >.>

But yea, now I'm seriously starting to consider something messed up with Gucci, though I'm not yet gonna admit any of those "LOL KEEPER OF ZE GATE" theories.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
kennsj
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by kennsj »

Hell_Is_Silent, that's very observant of you!

I would dismiss point 1. as lazy makeup work and 2. as a continuity problem, though. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Gans should be a cinematographer, not a director. He sucks at creating character/thematic depth. Have you guys seen Brotherhood Of The Wolf?
[url=http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/364301][img]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/kennsj/QFtitle.gif[/img][/url]
it's my Flash SH fangame!
(click above to play; PM me for a walkthrough)
Hell_is_Silent
Cafe5to2 Waitress
Location: Deep down in places you don't talk about at parties.

Post by Hell_is_Silent »

kennsj wrote:Hell_Is_Silent, that's very observant of you!

I would dismiss point 1. as lazy makeup work and 2. as a continuity problem, though. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Gans should be a cinematographer, not a director. He sucks at creating character/thematic depth. Have you guys seen Brotherhood Of The Wolf?
I have, but honestly all I remember is that it seemed too long, and that there was a pretty cool fight scene in the rain. And Monica Belucci.
[img]http://myspace-237.vo.llnwd.net/00776/73/23/776203237_l.jpg[/img]
Silent Addicted
Just Passing Through

Post by Silent Addicted »

I would dismiss point 1. as lazy makeup work and 2. as a continuity problem, though. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Gans should be a cinematographer, not a director.
I'm with kennsj on this. I can't imagine a director like Gans spending too much time on such details. It's worth looking carefully to every single undertone in the games, but i think it's quite useless to pay the same attention to the movie, whose merits are mainly technical.
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time...
CherryHoleGrrrl
Just Passing Through

Post by CherryHoleGrrrl »

when i first saw the movie i could NOT shut up about the fact that they reiterate this. it would be cool if it played into the sequel but i don't wanna get my hopes back up. i was just thinking - since there was some (unconfirmed) talk about the sequel maybe being based on sh2 that...

maybe the boy will actually be a character like laura? since they changed harry to a female lead in the movie... that would be neat *if* it happened.
Just Passing Through

Post by blues32 »

I don't believe it had anything to do with the supernatural Silent Hill. I think he was simply making a point that she is very dedicated on helping people. She is a good cop that would go to any extreme to help someone. Later, in the other life, she proves this by sacrificing herself to buy Rose time. She had no idea that they wouldn't have possibly followed her down to kill Rose.
Nicole
Just Passing Through

Post by Nicole »

Could have been a character evelopment piece.
...in bed.
morteamoureuse
Just Passing Through

Post by morteamoureuse »

Anonymous wrote:Maby it was just to show us why she was so determond to go after Rose and Sharon when she saw them 'arguing' at the petrol station and also why she sacrificed her self to let Rose go down in the lift to look for Sharon (which IMO was stupid because when she pulled her gun out they stopped in their tracks and she could have easly keept the gun on them and got in the lift as well, but hey, she would have proberly ended up dead in any case.)
I agree, though I'm open to more possibilities. Maybe that bit regarding the kid in the mineshaft will turn out to be important, after all. One thing that did occur to me, though, was that it sort of emphasized that bad things happen in Silent Hill. But that was just my perception *shrugs*.
The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death. - Oscar Wilde
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

I saw it as an explanation for why Cybil was there in the first place- Alessa had seen her save the boy, and had chosen her to protect her new mommy in the Otherworld.
morteamoureuse
Just Passing Through

Post by morteamoureuse »

Yeah, that makes sense too. It would explain why she also ended up in the foggy Silent Hill.
The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death. - Oscar Wilde
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I saw it as an explanation for why Cybil was there in the first place- Alessa had seen her save the boy, and had chosen her to protect her new mommy in the Otherworld.
I can't imagine how Alessa could've actually SEEN her do it. But Alessa is a psychic, maybe she read Cybil's mind and came to that conclusion, or she can see through Sharon's eyes and decided to make use of Cybil after making it clear she cared about Sharon's safety.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Cybil was in Silent Hill- and Alessa has the ability to appear and disappear at will and to cross between the dimensions. I'm pretty sure she can see anything she wants within a certain range.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

That's true, but in that case, she would've probably picked up it up in a more extrasensory sense, as she's demonstrated. Otherwise your previous statement gives the implication that Alessa was standing there like an idiot staring as Cybil save some kid. Plus, she would've probably been too busy trying to lure out and kill the cultists when she could just do an ESP-scan.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

'm pretty sure Alessa "saw" everything Rose did without physically standing there watching her, as she knows exactly when to bring the darkness to save Rose from the cultists- and exactly when to lift it to save her from the monsters. It also appears that Alessa "saw" Anna trying to throw that one last rock at her mom and caused PH to appear directly behind Anna to stop that.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Right, so basically ESP-Scan thing. Whatever. Remote Viewing.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

^ Something like that. I think the only thing Alessa couldn't do was influence people's actions.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Agreed. Aside from infringing on free will and other such philosophy-inducing nonsense, Alessa was effectively omnipotent as the plot demanded.
Chuckles
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chuckles »

AuraTwilight wrote:Agreed. Aside from infringing on free will and other such philosophy-inducing nonsense, Alessa was effectively omnipotent as the plot demanded.
I find it hard to believe that Alessa can't control minds, someone who inherits powers, such as the ability to draw people in from hundreds of miles away, bring about and take away darkness, appear and disappear should be able to control minds.
Are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it?

[img]http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/2219/noname7mx.png[/img]