Pointless Charaters in Your Opinions

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

s4m.fish3r
Just Passing Through

Post by s4m.fish3r »

Hannah wrote:I agree with Silent_Hill_Tourist, the movie could have done without PH. He really only served fangirl/boy purposes(not that I'm complaining). Valtiel might have made a little more sense(to me, anyway) than PH.
Silent Hill movie without PH? no way, he supposed to be the biggest bad ass ... who else should be?
[img]http://img288.imageshack.us/img288/1137/sigishzu1.jpg[/img]
Thanks Amy for Firstaid Kit =)
samddmas
Just Passing Through

Post by samddmas »

The monsters help portray what kind of a place Silent Hill is, lose them and it may aswell be any old abandoned town.
Rasputin
Just Passing Through

Post by Rasputin »

I thought the nurse was pointless, besides just being a nod at SH1. It felt like her only plot-related purpose was to suggest, "ALESSA WAS SO HATE-FILLED SHE DID THIS. OH NO!" The point of Alessa's torment twisting her so much could've been gotten across without the nurse having her eyes ripped out.

Most of the cult members weren't needed. Their roles were either awkward or, as someone else said, cartoonish. There were too many of them - you'd think more of them would've gotten picked off by Pyramid Head, Lying Figures, etc. over the course of 30 years. I wish, anyway.
s4m.fish3r
Just Passing Through

Post by s4m.fish3r »

nurse are f*cked up in movie....theyre movin like dancers..i dont like them at all besides costumes :roll:
[img]http://img288.imageshack.us/img288/1137/sigishzu1.jpg[/img]
Thanks Amy for Firstaid Kit =)
Allen
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Allen »

Most of the unexplained stuff is there to show becasue game-movies ARE NOT LIKE THE GAMES! LOOK AT RE, ALONE IN THE DARK, AND ALL THOSE OTHERS! Maybe Gans is putting there cause people want to see it. Besides, the people that see the film aren't going to care, they think it's better with all this creepy stuff that isn't explained.
samddmas
Just Passing Through

Post by samddmas »

Reading some of the stuff on here I'm sure people would prefer to just see Rose and Sharon drive to Silent Hill for no apparant reason. Then they would skip straight to the church which only has a few people and Alessa would kill the few cult members left and that would be it after a few minutes.

That would be the film without all the 'unecessary' characters, monsters and plot lines. For goodness sakes people, does nobody grasp at the idea that what they see as unecessary actually makes the movie what it is?
Allen
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Allen »

Unesseceiry or whatever character are necesary. SIMPLE! THE MAKE THE MOVIE BETTER!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I think the only pointless characters ( and they killed the movie for me ) were the 40 or so cult followers! in SH, its so scarey because there is nobody around, but in the movie suddenly there is a small village living in a church. i think the cast should have been kept to a number that you can count on your fingers. having the entire cult there was a little corny to me. anyone agree

oh and the husband was a mandatory character i think.
Krysta
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Krysta »

9th Rusty Halo wrote:
husband's part was imitating SH2 ... they tried to put as many details from each game as possible , since sequel wasnt (still isnt) certain thing... so personaly i think this character was necesary the dirty deed goes to ... adam - he wasnt necesary at all :wink:
redrum
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by redrum »

i think all the cult members were un-neccasary they kinda ruined the feeling
BarbwireEmbrace
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by BarbwireEmbrace »

Chris was pointless, IMO. Sean Bean's talents were completely wasted in this.
Msgrim
Just Passing Through

Post by Msgrim »

Cristabella, cult members, Anna, Adam (which are cult members by the way) past Gucci, Nun, the meow scene...... I can't think of anything else, Oh and the burn the witch bit at the end I think if they had shortened these scenes they could've had more room for more scary scenes and more Cybil shooting demon ass. Remember she shoots the Lying Figure and disappears in to the fan room for about 10 ,15 minutes, until she saves Rose who's outside crying her ass off (which she can't hear behind the doors.) Also they should've left the scene of Anna getting attacked by the Lying Figure which would also explain what happened to all of Cybil's bullets.
Christophe Gans stated that Cybil was his "White Wolf" he could've given her better odds!
Sute88
Just Passing Through

Post by Sute88 »

It's debatable, I think. If Harry wasn't in it, though, it would seem sort of fake that it's almost a man-less world, y'know? But, that would sort of add to why Sharon was a little tipsey with sleep walking, just because when people don't have a father figure or whatever other figure, their lives can be unbalanced, which would be a good reason for her sleep walk sessions.

But, "pointless" characters are good, if there's only the dead-set MAIN characters, then it's too concentrated, having little items, characters or whatever in movies and plots let's you think more, to solve mysteries and whodunnit sort of stuff.

I hope I make sense.. I probably sped too fast through that and didn't explain well enough..
-Sute
Room312
Just Passing Through

Post by Room312 »

KRYSTA-GG- wrote:
9th Rusty Halo wrote:
husband's part was imitating SH2 ... they tried to put as many details from each game as possible , since sequel wasnt (still isnt) certain thing... so personaly i think this character was necesary the dirty deed goes to ... adam - he wasnt necesary at all :wink:
I agree. Chris was supposed to immitate James in a sense. I was hoping I wasn't the only one that saw that. I thought it was blatently obvious. I thought that the end just screamed a sequel similar to SH2, besides the fact that Chris certainly didn't
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Kill his wife
OMFG or Did He!1!?!?!/1 :shock:
love walked alone
the rocks cut her tender feet,
and the brambles tore her fair limbs.
there came a companion to her,
but, alas, he was no help,
for his name was heart's pain.
axel-cd
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by axel-cd »

There were a lot of people in the town, i HATED that...
Silent Hill fan from Venezuela!
Great Knife
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Great Knife »

As much as i love the guy, PH was pointless. He was one of the few things i enjoyed about the movie but i don't see why he was there. Lets say they make a movie based on James's story( though God forbid they make another piece of ruined perfection) would'nt it be kinda odd to have PH back again. plus it won't have the same impact since we've been there done that in the first movie, even though he was on screen for short periods of time. Perhaps if they have to destroy 2 they can make the PH in that one resemble the origional game one or something.... Same goes for the Patient Demon.

I don't know if i liked the idea of a load of people being there either, it kinda screwed with the distant, deserted feel.

I know some people say Anna was pointless, but i don't know where i stand on that.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
PH ripping her skin off was a plus for me since she annoyed me initially and deserved to be ripped for her stupidity
Dutchman
Gravedigger

Post by Dutchman »

I think that none of the characters are pointless. They each contribute some insight in the situation with different perspectives and views 8)
[img]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/Ghoul68/banner_shh_4.png[/img]
Jetsetlemming
Gravedigger

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Just watched the movie.
Pointless characters? EVERYBODY. Only Alessa/Sharon, Cybil and 1/10th of Rose have any point. Everyone else is fluff stuck there to be slaughtered (cult), fluff stuck there from the studio's complaints (husband and cops), fluff stuck there to try and explain things that weren't needed (cop and nun).
It’s being invaded by the Otherworld. By a world of someone’s
nightmarish delusions come to life.
-Harry Mason
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

I disagree about Chris' part being pointless. Not only did it add a SH2 touch to the movie, but it demonstrated while he was searching, and at the end, that Rose was in a different reality. And he somewhat reveals information about Alessa.
His character also sets things up nicely for a sequel, if they decide to play off of the same story and characters.

Remember, we should be thinking about what characters were pointless for the movie, not what is different from the games or would have been pointless in the games. The cult members did have purpose in the movie.

I don't see any character as being pointless, but if I were to choose, I think I'd say Pyramid Head. He only appeared briefly and for the scare factor, where we probably expected a deeper purpose, like in the game. But to frighten (and to incorporate something from the game) is still a purpose.
Xiren
Just Passing Through

Post by Xiren »

as much as I hate to say it, ^^^ Pyramid Head really did seem pointless. He did not serve a purpose as he did in SH2. I understand how his purpose could be twisted for the movie, but it was a purpose that could have been carried out by any other monster. It wasn't mandatory in my opinion that Pyramid Head be the evil that carries out Alessa's darkest dreams.

It was cool to see him, and he certainly made parts of the movie, but he didn't really have a point. Not what would be in my opinion a truly "valid" one. I guess I chalk it up to simply translating the game(s) into something that would be acceptable to movie-goers. For people who haven't played the games, Pyramid Head is just an amazing, scary monster to look at, and he's gained more fandom since the movie was released. For us who have played the games however, it's simply annoying. Perhaps not extremely annoying, but it depends on the fan, really.
Signature under construction