Pointless Charaters in Your Opinions

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

extreme-nero
Hope House Careworker

Post by extreme-nero »

the cult was useless as silent hill is supposed to be about deserted town, 2 is company 3+ is a very useless crowd
Msgrim
Just Passing Through

Post by Msgrim »

If SH is supposed to be deserted . . . . . WHERE THE HELL ARE ALL THESE PEOPLE COMING FROM? Why is it that Rose never ran into anyone else except for Dalia,Cybil and Anna? They shouldv'e added more monsters instead of all those idiotic cult members or at least give the cult a more reasonable plot like in the game. I think the film would've been scarier if it were isolated and make some of the characters paranoid. I read too much!
[img]http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/2082/sigmsgrimnk3.jpg[/img]

To Thine Own Self Be True -----SHAKESPEARE
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

Msgrim wrote:If SH is supposed to be deserted . . . . . WHERE THE HELL ARE ALL THESE PEOPLE COMING FROM?
Presuming you are talking specifically of the movie, and not any of the games... Rose is clearly in another reality, as we see when her husband is searching for her in the same hallway that she's in. Neither of them see each other. So, the cult members are in the same reality as Rose, and that's why the town seems deserted to others back in the 'normal' reality.
Why is it that Rose never ran into anyone else except for Dalia,Cybil and Anna?
Those are just the people she ran into, at first. The number of cult members actually isn't that high, as you see when they're all in the church. When they're outside and scattered around the town, and if you consider that they probably keep a low profile, it's not surprising that Rose didn't "run into" them right away.
Anna was the first one she found, and from that she was led to the others. If she'd been in the town longer and done more detailed searching, she probably would have found others on her own.
Msgrim
Just Passing Through

Post by Msgrim »

Okay and where are they coming from in the games? I actually borrowed my brothers SH for the PS and just got into playing it. I like the suspence but when you see the monsters it looks kind of shity. I guess the other parts are scarier. I'm just going to have to get them then. :|

phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

Msgrim wrote:Okay and where are they coming from in the games?|
....What?
The presence of a group of cult members is unique to the movie.

When I said "presuming you mean the movie and not the games," I was talking about the town being deserted. In the games, the town isn't really deserted, but it is to the character that's in a different reality. In the movie, it's sort of the opposite; the town is deserted, but in the other reality, Rose finds people there.

This has strayed a bit off topic, though...
Christian
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Christian »

Rose's husband was very pointless in the movie. Hell, the rock thrown at Dahlia's (I think it was her) head had more of a reason to be in the movie than he did.
The Friday Night Delight
emptimass
Subway Guard

Post by emptimass »

I think that Christophers main purpose in the movie was to help elaborate
on the evidence of what went down through outside world resources.

There also was the scene where he is in the court yard/locker room at the same time
that Rose is, giving him a sense of her presence hence elaborating on the
story and concept for those people who had never experienced the SH concept.

What was unnecessary for us was necessary for the uneducated 1st timers.
"No more soul to sell, 31 years and on my way to Hell".
Moosefrenzy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Moosefrenzy »

The first time I watched the movie I felt the same way about Chris. I felt his purpose was useless and it just took away from the events in the town. However, like emptimass said, his purpose was to illustrate the dimensions of the town and why Rose couldn't make contact outside the town for first time viewers to the Silent Hill concept. In the sequel, I really don't foresee many events or a side story away from the main character's involvement within the town.
extreme-nero
Hope House Careworker

Post by extreme-nero »

chris used to seem like useless part but connects to other parts like Officer Thomas Gucci and to show they are on different planes or somthing. :mrgreen:
kennsj
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by kennsj »

Chris might've seemed like he had more purpose in the film if they'd succeeded in making us feel his loss more. Gans is good at making a visually stunning film, but his movies (especially the characters) generally lack depth. To my mind, he is one director who should've just been a cinematographer.
[url=http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/364301][img]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/kennsj/QFtitle.gif[/img][/url]
it's my Flash SH fangame!
(click above to play; PM me for a walkthrough)
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

emptimass wrote:I think that Christophers main purpose in the movie was to help elaborate
on the evidence of what went down through outside world resources.

There also was the scene where he is in the court yard/locker room at the same time
that Rose is, giving him a sense of her presence hence elaborating on the
story and concept for those people who had never experienced the SH concept.
I agree. In fact, that's basically what I said earlier.
Chrism~
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chrism~ »

The part about the scent also contributes to tell the ones that haven't played the game, that the otherworld in Silent Hill leaves clues and marks in the actual world.

Many people takes it as if it's a one way traffic between both worlds. And you can't know that unless you have played the games. Like for example the Walter Murders. You also learned more about the actual Silent Hill and Sean served the purpose as variation and a break so we don't grow tired of the main characters stuck in the hellish Silent Hill.

I didn't mind Sean Ben at all, I think he's a great actor that I admire in certain ways, his purpose is to be a part of that bond in the Da silva family and honnestly he reminds me and many others of James. Not necessarily in the physics only, but his goal to reach his wife.
Without Sean Ben the ending would probably not be the same one either.
And who knows, as already mentioned there might be a sequel role for Ben after all.

It is true that too many characters did take away a little of the Silent Hill feeling, but I think it was for the best. You got to see the perspective from a wider range, after all you have to make a few changes when making the movie, or you will add nothing new but a translation from game to movie. As Christophe Gans said, "A game is a game, and a movie is a movie".
Msgrim
Just Passing Through

Post by Msgrim »

James killed his wife, it looked like he apparently had an affair of some sort with this Maria woman and created a manifestation of it all in his head. So literally you play SH2 like my friend say's " A Loco." who can't remember his crime. Chris is clearly not James for them to pursue the SH2 story line with the twist of looking for his wife. It would be some strange shit if you found out he killed her years ago and the original film was some sort of flash back. How ever there would be to many loop holes.

valiturus

Post by valiturus »

For those that are saying that the side-plot with Chris was pointless, I'm going to have to express my disagreement there. Although it was a bit uneccesary in terms of main storyline, I sort of liked it. It gave me chills whenever they passed each other, but were in two entirely different realms. It was like: Rose is there, but she's not.

I loved how that gave a little nod to the complexity and excitement of the Otherworld.
Rule of Rose
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Rule of Rose »

I thought the same old num at the orpahnage was pretty pointless in the movie.
She said her blood turns to ash
Burning eyes can't forgive you
Howling moon drives on
And deep in me
Your illusion
What you see in me
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

I found Chris to MOSTLY be pointless (the beginning and ending scenes, the school scene, and the archives scene were ok), but noone so much as Anna. They could just as easily have used any of the cultists in the church for the skin-ripping scene, we didn't actually NEED Anna.
Markdriscoll
Just Passing Through

Post by Markdriscoll »

For me, Anna was pointless too, she only appeared, said some things and died.
WOW
how nice.. ¬¬-
The end is komming...
PyramidHead1036
Just Passing Through

Post by PyramidHead1036 »

Definitely agree with Anna. I was actually kind of glad she died fast... she annoyed me.

FILTH and LIES!
:?

i never really liked Dahlia but does she really deserve to be hit with a million rocks?

...wait..
Chuckles
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chuckles »

JRamirez35 wrote:I found Chris to MOSTLY be pointless (the beginning and ending scenes, the school scene, and the archives scene were ok), but noone so much as Anna. They could just as easily have used any of the cultists in the church for the skin-ripping scene, we didn't actually NEED Anna.
I agree, and disagree, Christopher's presence was required to reveal that the normal world still existed, yet it could've been presented differently in lieu of using his character.

Anna was vexatious. I couldn't find any significance of adding her into the mix. Ironically, she had the best screen time in the ever so famous S.R. scene.
Are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it?

[img]http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/2219/noname7mx.png[/img]
Msgrim
Just Passing Through

Post by Msgrim »

I agree! Anna was one of the more pointless characters there. Her and Adam! Was there a reason for him to be speaking and get silenced by Christabella? I wonder if he was the one that Cybil clobbered over the head with the asp?