Dahlia = the true evil of the story!

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

*sees that Empty_Eyes is a World of Darkness fan and hugs him.*

I agree with your posts. So. Much.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

White wolf is indeed the secks.

However, Dahlia isn't the evil... She's merely the pawn. Alessa was "created" out of her ignorance and despair, as much as she was out of Christobella's spite and need for perfection (see OCD). Christobella wanted everything in her society to be perfect so badly she wanted to rid her sister of the "unwanted" child. Dahlia just wanted to be accepted, as she was an outcast most of her life (gathered from her behavior and deference to Christobella).

Alessa was in a sense the true evil (though I'll argue it's Christobella. She was behind the creation of Alessa as she is at the end of the movie) for torturing these souls the way she did (regardless of her justification for doing so). Of course, it was still awesome when Red Pyramid/Colin ripped Anna(?) in half. I thought it would have been much more fitting for Alessa to summon the Red Pyramid to take care of Christobella given the implied rape that ook place earlier.
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

The Red Pyramid thing isn't Colin the Janitor. They're not related.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Empty_Eyes

Post by Empty_Eyes »

AuraTwilight wrote:*sees that Empty_Eyes is a World of Darkness fan and hugs him.*

I agree with your posts. So. Much.
Awww! thanks so much... Yes, I'm actually branded (err tattooed) Malkavian for life. *sighs at fond White Wolf memories*

And sorry to deviate again from the topic... but I had to reply to someone giving me a hug.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Yes, but what mother is so selfish that she allows her child to be TORTURED for nine years and does nothing? In Dahlia's ignorance and selfishness lay pure evil. Undoubtedly, Alessa has become evil by the end of the movie; but she was made that way. Made that way by a mother who betrayed her for her own happiness and an entire town that kissed the feet of a malicious "prophet". I"m sorry, but if someone was treating my kid the way Alessa was treated, I would have fled that town IMMEDIATELY. Indoctrinated or not, Dahlia saw first-hand the consequences of her actions. And her actions (or non-actions) decided the fate of an innocent child who could do nothing to stop what would happen to her.
Edited to add: I strongly disagree with anyone who claims Underworld to be a White Wolf or Masquerade ripoff. For further proof on this, check out the lawsuit White Wolf filed that was thrown out on lack of evidence.
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

Krist. wrote:The Red Pyramid thing isn't Colin the Janitor. They're not related.
I believe they are if for no other reason than they were portrayed by the same actor. But then, that could have been the Budget talking.
SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

The only reason they use Roberto as Janoitor and Pyramid Head is becuase he was good at it. had the movement than everybody else could do. For a monster cooriagrapher that is no small feat.
"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty...IT'S ALL THE SAME ONCE YOU'RE DEAD!"--Eddie Dombrowski
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
words to live by
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

paladin181 wrote:
Krist. wrote:The Red Pyramid thing isn't Colin the Janitor. They're not related.
I believe they are if for no other reason than they were portrayed by the same actor. But then, that could have been the Budget talking.
Since when does "Same actor" mean "same character? By that logic, Tsukasa from .hack//Sign is Near from Death Note.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

AuraTwilight wrote: Since when does "Same actor" mean "same character? By that logic, Tsukasa from .hack//Sign is Near from Death Note.
Don't be so pompous. Same actor in different series/genre's MEDIUMS doesn't even compare to same actor in a single movie/game or other medium. Again, it was probably the budget and Colin's short appearance that caused them to "reuse" the actor. Perhaps Colin was added in as an after thought or something, and rather than hire someone, they got the actor they were already using for another part.

My point it the way it was listed in the credits was Colin/Red Pyramid: Roberto Campenella, which could lead someone to believe they were indeed connected somehow. In some movies they list it separately, and in others they don't.
Empty_Eyes

Post by Empty_Eyes »

Why wouldn't they list it as both. If you have trouble dicifering the credits perhaps SH is not the series for you... (and no I'm not directly refrecing you paladin). The credits are simply that... giving people credit for their part... and since Roberto played both parts... and seeing as the credits have aboslutely nothing to do with the plot of a movie and to my knowledge barring a few exceptions (monty python and the search for the holy grail) movies in general are all set up this way.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

paladin181 wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote: Since when does "Same actor" mean "same character? By that logic, Tsukasa from .hack//Sign is Near from Death Note.
Don't be so pompous. Same actor in different series/genre's MEDIUMS doesn't even compare to same actor in a single movie/game or other medium. Again, it was probably the budget and Colin's short appearance that caused them to "reuse" the actor. Perhaps Colin was added in as an after thought or something, and rather than hire someone, they got the actor they were already using for another part.

My point it the way it was listed in the credits was Colin/Red Pyramid: Roberto Campenella, which could lead someone to believe they were indeed connected somehow. In some movies they list it separately, and in others they don't.
sure, if you're an idiot. Actors being reused for the same, unconnected character has been done since the days of Middle Ages plays. It's not new or noteworthy or storyline-causal.
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

Wow. Hostile crowd for people who are supposedly here to share their fandom. You'd think you'd want to encourage people to join in discussions instead of being douchebags. No matter. My skin is thicker than that . So I was wrong. That apparently makes me an idiot, or something.:roll: You guys could really do to learn some people skills.

However, thanks for clarifying that for me since I thought it was a manifestation of something I obviously missed in the movie, which now it turns out that I didn't. I can tell my wife she was right too, then. Thanks.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Wow. Hostile crowd for people who are supposedly here to share their fandom. You'd think you'd want to encourage people to join in discussions instead of being douchebags. No matter. My skin is thicker than that . So I was wrong. That apparently makes me an idiot, or something.Rolling Eyes You guys could really do to learn some people skills.
Spare me. I just consider it a vital skill to be able to tell the difference between an actor and a character.
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

AuraTwilight wrote:sure, if you're an idiot.
paladin181 wrote:. . . .encourage people to join in discussions instead of being douchebags.
Both of these responses are unnecessary and inflammatory. Keep it civil, please.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

paladin181 wrote:
So? That doesn't change anything about the characters' origins.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
michinobu_zoned
Just Passing Through

Different stories

Post by michinobu_zoned »

AuraTwilight wrote:
paladin181 wrote:
Since when does "Same actor" mean "same character? By that logic, Tsukasa from .hack//Sign is Near from Death Note.
Well, to be fair, you are talking about two different stories which exist in two separate universes.
As for within the same movie or anything else, you're right as you can't let the physical actors affect that actual story of any medium. In all honesty, they do this often in comedies and we're not supposed to get the characters mixed up because of this.

For something as minor as an actor who dresses up in two different costumes where you can't really see either's face, I think it really warrants no mentioning when you're trying to prove something from the story.
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

^Agreed. Just watch a Mel Brooks movie or the new Eddie Murphy ones. :)
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

Or Mike Myers for that matter. Austin Powers, anyone?

Sorry about the inflammatory remark. I'll be good from now on.

I'm also sorry for trying to see something that wasn't there, and not analyzing further.
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|