Sequel petition

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

Furin
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Furin »

I'll sign, but I dont know if an e-pettition is going to make much difference. :p
http://silenthill5.net/

[url=http://silenthill5.net/forums/]Silent Hill V forums[/url]
ander_waser
Just Passing Through

Post by ander_waser »

Signed, but why there's only 70 persons signed in? I belive Gans will decide to make next Silent Hill movie. :)
[size=84][i]"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword."[/i] (Metthew 10:34)[/size]
Greenkai3000
Just Passing Through

Post by Greenkai3000 »

ander_waser wrote:Signed, but why there's only 70 persons signed in? I belive Gans will decide to make next Silent Hill movie. :)
Yeah, every single one of us MUST do this. All it takes is a few seconds. It won't hurt at all I promise!
Sylvine
Just Passing Through

Post by Sylvine »

But apparently, not every single one of us WANTS gans to make the sequel.

My feelings are quite mixed on that as well. But then again, I tend to belive that someone who decdes to do a SH movie out of passion for the series will also learn from his mistakes...

~Sylv
"Broken Prophets Speak In Riddles... As Do Fools And Dreamers And [i]Gods[/i]."
- Arphalia

-------
[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5712]Silent Hill Satire #1: PH vs PH![/url]
[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=185208#185208]Silent Hill Satire #2: Fanatics![/url]
Chrism~
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chrism~ »

Gans has my petition.

As Christophe Gans said on the bonus material, a game is a game and a movie is a movie. The staff really did a good job adapting the atmosphere of the games, and the choice of actors also added the movie quite some personality and credibility. But the games are a separate reality format. And I do agree that the games are better their own way. I don't mind adding a movie to the Silent Hill universe as long as it is as good as this last one.
Making a movie out of a game is really hard work, not to mention that this was a really long production. A videogame adaptation still has to convince the audience, that this is real. I am really glad that Christophe was the one to direct it, I can't immagine how much worse it could have resulted in the hands of director Uwe Boll or in the hands of Anderson.

Gans has my green card to make any sequel and any other videogame based movie.
According to wikipedia he has been contracted to make a second Silent Hill movie, but currently he is preparing to work on Onimusha (another great game).
*Shrugs* I can't wait, and we are probably years away )=
Smokey
Gravedigger

Post by Smokey »

I can't understand people who insist this movie was good...I mean if you like it that's one thing but it should be like Howard the Duck...not everyone hated it but they can all agree that it was a bad movie.
If you can read this, I'll kill you.
Sylvine
Just Passing Through

Post by Sylvine »

And I can't understand people who insist that it wasn't. So?

It wasn't the nonplusultra, but it was decent.

~Sylv
- Arphalia

-------
[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5712]Silent Hill Satire #1: PH vs PH![/url]
[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=185208#185208]Silent Hill Satire #2: Fanatics![/url]
Smokey
Gravedigger

Post by Smokey »

You don't understand...it wasn't decent because it did everything poorly...not opinion...asthetically, and genuinely poorly - it was lazy, unintelligent, rediculous yet took itself seriously...it was insulting and to even consider it an arthouse film due to pretty graphics and unusual visuals are words of people unfamiliar with the typical silent hill style because as nice as it is - it's nothing but what it should be, and that's a small accomplishment among a slew of failures.

Film has general standards that must be met, you know? Basic foundations - this film doesn't meet them and it's defenders very clearly stem from that self-defense mechanism that a fan of the game puts up, that I put up even, that I REALLY WANT TO LOVE THIS MOVIE...even after Ganse has made a complete mockery of the game and its intelligence.

I mean, like I said with Howard the Duck, some people loved that movie...but they know it's bad...they just like the cheese. That's completely understandable.

To consider this box office rape even decent in terms of film is just silly (don't even dare pull out the over their heads cards because these same critics people accuse of not getting are the same critics that praised lynch for Lost highway or thoroughly enjoyed jacobs ladder - two films that have far far far more depth and complexity that Silent Hill)

Something we wish was better, was crap, and we really really wish it wasn't...

But it was.
If you can read this, I'll kill you.
Sylvine
Just Passing Through

Post by Sylvine »

Opinion. Sorry, but I just can't agree with You.

I will agree any time that the movie could have been better. Maybe even a lot better ( which movie couldn't? There are only but a few exceptions to this ). But: Out of 5 people I've seen the movie with, 4 liked it - and 3 of those didn't even know anything about the game. Maybe I just had luck with the audience, that's possible, but judged from my experience, I just can't say hat the movie was really bad.

I still wish it was better, but it's not crap. The games were far better, and that's the problem ( well, not really a problem, but the issue ). We see the flaws in comparison with the game, and god knows every fan will see a whole LOT of them in an adaptation - fans like to bitch around. Even if we had a 1:1 copy in film terms, we'd probably bitch around because they couldn't come up with something different ( :roll: ). But that doesn't make the movie bad.

At least, in my opinion =)

~Sylv
- Arphalia

-------
F

Post by F »

If I had to give the sequel to anyone other than Gans, the only obvious choice would be Mr Lynch

Lynch wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole if he was ever considered. He's simply not the kind of director that accepts movie plots that have everything handed to you on a plate for comprehending the movie itself. Although it would be awesome to have that Lynch "feel" to it, it wouldn't have an "acceptable" plot given current movie standards. Plus, it has to stir a good feeling on him--that's how he does movies, by the way they stir feelings on him; no wonder most of his films are his stories.

That said, forget Lynch--Gans had done a good job as far as a movie goes (although for me, it's due to the wrong reasons, which is not something to be discussed here) and he'd be fit to do the sequel.
Krysta
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Krysta »

Smokey wrote: but it should be like Howard the Duck...not everyone hated it but they can all agree that it was a bad movie.
i say completely no to that... you are just covering all these bad reviews but as u maybe noticed many ppl loved this movie and not only sh fans bcuz it is a good movie afterall :roll:
Sutailja
Just Passing Through

Post by Sutailja »

One of the things I did not like about the movie is that I was not scared at all, some of the scenes was just disgusting, but I did not feel the atmosphere of the games present in the movie.
Death is only the beginning
KLGChaos
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by KLGChaos »

Well, according to EGM (I think), Gans won't be back for SH2 because he's tied up in something else, but the studio wants to go ahead anyway. Not sure who would be a good replacement. The movie wasn't horrible, but it definitely could have been better.

Heck, even I've had several ideas for a SH2 based movie where the key motivation for James to be moving from place to place included flashbacks of the time he spent with Mary in SH. It would be a good way to show off some of their background, her eventual illness, which leads up to the revelation at the hotel. Of course, you'd have to completely disregard the first film and the fact that it turn SH from a Resort town into a burned down hellhole. :P
I'm offended by political correctness.
Tamako
Just Passing Through

Post by Tamako »

Well..they did not have Harry mason in he first movie. So dont get your hopes up about James sunderland being in it =/
crucifix
Historical Society Historian

Post by crucifix »

why not? gans isn't directing it.
no longer active. thanks for the memories.