Bearer Of Good News: The DVD Box Art

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

Brem
Just Passing Through

Post by Brem »

Yeah. Though it doesn't really make much difference to me since I live in the U.K and don't know alot of French, I thought it is a brilliant idea and shows they thought about those who don't have English as their first language. The only French on cover on the English side is on the back. The information English then French [and also under Special Features] and on the French cover it has the French then English but it has both French for the Special Features.

I like seeing things like this. It means that everyone gets something within one package, instead of many. Not sure how many do this, but on the menu it has English writing then French under it. Pretty cool!
TerryRed
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TerryRed »

Most things are like that here in Canada. Big English Titles for packaging with small French ones beside it....or English on one side with French on the other side (ie food).
The current progress of my Silent Hill pinball (video) game can be seen here:

https://youtu.be/aMklvWiUqhY
Brem
Just Passing Through

Post by Brem »

That's pretty cool. So I'm guessing then that DVDs aren't like that, since you said most titles have French on the same side? Anyhow, it's funny but I'm debating whether or not I should change the cover inside out, just to have a different one and then back again, but I worry I might not get it back in. :/
Yana
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by Yana »

It doesn't really matter anyway. Its not gonna be the cover you watch. And if it matters to you that much, you could always make your own cover. :)
[url=http://iampaddy.com/spell/]Learn To Fucking Spell[/url]
TerryRed
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TerryRed »

Here's the image all our flyers ar showing...a LITTLE bit different than the first pic posted here.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000GJ0 ... UTF8&s=dvd

Up until now... no... DVDs here have not had both French and English on the same cover. But now some are and its kind of annoying... the idea of beig able to flip it inside out is great though.
fafner87
Gravedigger

Post by fafner87 »

This may have been discussed before, but does anyone know if the movie had enough acclaim to warrant a special edition version to come out later on?
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/fafner87/SilentHillsigbyAric.jpg[/img]
Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mis Krist. »

Yeah.. the commercials for the DVD have this godawful red cover. So.. looks like the US gets the equivalent of excrement packaged as a DVD art.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Littlestardweller

Post by Littlestardweller »

I'm sorry, I know maybe someone will tell me THEN WHY ARE YOU POSTING HERE?!?!?!
I wonder that myself!

But does the cover packaging matter so much?
Those of us who have seen the movie already know what's inside (besides some of the special features).
...that all my life I've been rushing up and down hills, leaping rivers, crashing over obstacles,
never dreaming that one day that beautiful thing in flight would land on this earth and into my arms
pink_isnt_well000

Post by pink_isnt_well000 »

I just don't like looking at things that make my eyes hurt....

:D
genshiken
Just Passing Through

Post by genshiken »

Pink_isnt_well000 wrote:I just don't like looking at things that make my eyes hurt....

:D
I found a whole bunch of custom DVD art for the movie, and in a few languages too, I'll post links to them for people who don't like the official one, just have to upload them, expect links tomorrow.
disappeared
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by disappeared »

Got mine early (Friday) too. Here's my pics...

Also, nice to see you again Drew. :D
-----------------------------------------------------
"If destiny interferes with reality, one
man's determination may merely be what
is determined by his fate."
-----------------------------------------------------
HuMaNoId X
Just Passing Through

Post by HuMaNoId X »

Where can I buy the canadian version with that boxart??. I've searched everywhere and not even ebay has it. If anyone knows an online store that sells it please let me know. Thanks!! :D
Brem
Just Passing Through

Post by Brem »

Try PlayUSA. I'm not sure where you live and where they deliver, but considering they have U.S and Canadian currency on their site, they should deliver to you. I found out today the reason they send out the Canadian version is because their Warehouses that hold the stock are there, so that's where you can find it!
whocares444
Just Passing Through

Post by whocares444 »

http://www.amazon.ca/Silent-Hill-Widesc ... &s=gateway

Amazon.ca

There's a link to the canadian version. Amazon's good for importing stuff; you just have to know the correct address (.com, .ca, .co.uk, etc).
TerryRed
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TerryRed »

I also have the above Canadian version.... and a warning from my other post....

I'm a little pissed... the Canadian version has got lower quality sound than the US version. Yes its still 5.1 Audio but the bitrate is only half (225K) of what the US version is (448K). It makes a BIG difference when you hear them back to back....especially on a good 5.1 surround system. ALL the other movies i have are at 448... lame!!!

I also found the chapters are at different locations, and the Menus on the DVD are also in French in smaller letters under the English words. Very annoying looking....

The video had been encoded in Interlace on the Canadian version as well as opposed to the US being Progressive. This can be a problem for some players when using progressive scan....the image will look stuttery or jaggy.

Just lucky i have the US one as well....
The current progress of my Silent Hill pinball (video) game can be seen here:

https://youtu.be/aMklvWiUqhY
Brem
Just Passing Through

Post by Brem »

I'm not trying to say you're wrong or anything about the sound, but I've had no problems at all with the sound. I haven't heard the U.S versions sound, so I can't exactly comment on that but after changing the sound to 2.0 Stereo, after having some problems with the sound going down in volume at times, it became perfect. It sounds like any other DVD I have now.

And other than the problems at first with the sound, before changing it to 2.0 Stereo, I've had absolutely no other problems. It runs exactly like any other DVD I have, if not better.
TerryRed
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TerryRed »

I'm not saying its a PROBLEM with the Canadian version....its just that its an inferior version, and not as good as others...

I have both...but think they should not have cheaped out on the sound...this movie's sound is amazing and on my setup (7.1 speakers with three 12" subwoofers) you hear a BIG difference....
Pyramidred
Just Passing Through

Post by Pyramidred »

I have a universal DVD player and it's really tempting to order the Canadian DVD but I'm convinced there will be a special edition. The DVD itself looks rushed; from the box art to the layout. The only thing that impressed me was the intro to the main menu, which I usually find annoying but they really did a good job on it.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hi! I'm new to the site so don't shoot me down straight away. :wink:

I just got the swedish release of the DVD, which was released yesterday. We're a bit behind, i know. I've had the R1 DVD since it was first released though. It has DTS, commentary and deleted/extended scenes. No, just kidding. It has the same extras as most of the previous releases i'm afraid. It does have DTS though, but a lot of other releases have that. Anyway, thought i'd share the cover art with you: (Both are thumbnails)

Notice how it says "Once you enter hell, there's no turning back!"
Notice how the hole in the middle is right over the mouth? :lol:

Literal translation of the quotes from the swedish newspapers:

"In Silent Hill, the horror builds up in over two hours. Great looking and skillfully animated, and time after time i feel really sick from fear!" - Dagens Nyheter

I know it doesn't make much sense, especially the part about it being skilfully animated, but that's how it goes.

"Silent Hill is so far the most superior adaptation of a video game." - Svenska Dagbladet
Last edited by Anonymous on 27 Oct 2006, edited 3 times in total.
Moosefrenzy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Moosefrenzy »

That's a pretty nice cover actually...... except for the H I L L