Location of the Fire

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Considering that the town was obviously very centered on mining, it makes a hell of a lot of sense that Alessa's burning started the coal fires. When the pit overturned, it would have trapped a good deal of the coals and the fire underneath it. Left like that for even a short time, it could easily burn through the floor and down into the mines that most likely ran directly beneath the "church". And, yes, the "factory" that Rose and Cybil enter through Room 111 is the place where Alessa was burned (I noticed some people had issues connecting that); as evidenced by the massive hole, the circle of chairs done in the exact manner as they were at Alessa's burning, and the seal with tiny shackles on it hanging from the ceiling.
I'm willing to bet that the town fire is both physical and metaphorical at the same time. The fire itself killed many innocents and gave Dark Alessa and Alessa the chance to make some not-so-innocent people disappear- but it also seems to symbolize how ignoring the cries of a small child can eventually affect you. As Gucci tells us "I knew that girl." Chances are, he knew her before the burning. They all knew the truth; which would explain why the nun says "The story isn't hers alone, but all of ours!" An entire town ignored a small child who was being systematically tortured on a daily basis for 9 years and they paid for it.
Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mis Krist. »

^ Well, "the story" basically means that Alessa wasn't the only one negatively affected by what happened in Silent Hill. It's clear that the memory tortures the nun as well as Gucci himself - and anyone else who lost family to the town.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.