Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 20 Apr 2018

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Oct 2006
Notes left: 465
The Zodiac one; I felt really stupid when I spent a good half hour trying to figure it out, and then noticing the little trick to it moments before I was thinking of giving up for the day.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 07 Apr 2010
Notes left: 133
Last seen at: My house
Quote:
It's the puzzle that you have to put the Plates on the door.

Oh, right. That was easy - just match up the colors!

Reaper's List was easy, and you know why? Because I accidentally found the cheat even before I played the game. When I finally got to that part, I was wondering how hard people expected it to be. But now I know...

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 02 May 2006
Notes left: 2703
Last seen at: UK
Lemex wrote:
The Zodiac one; I felt really stupid when I spent a good half hour trying to figure it out, and then noticing the little trick to it moments before I was thinking of giving up for the day.

Oh God, the first time I played the game and got to that I was trying so much stuff. I ended up getting that annoyed with it I left it for the night. Then the next morning I figured it out and felt dumb as hell. A couple of years back I replayed the game again after a few years, and I couldn't remember then either, in fact I think I asked for help on here! Piss-easy though once you know how to do it and what you're counting.

SHH Staff Writer
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jul 2003
Notes left: 792
alone in the town wrote:
Now, the valves: god damn. Almost nine years of playing this game and I still don't know what the pattern is.

From memory, you turn the right valve to the left once, and the left valve to the right twice. After 20+ playthroughs, I'm going to look quite the fool if I'm wrong.

alone in the town wrote:
I guess I'm one of only a few that figured out the Zodiac puzzle immediately. The fact that they were silhouetted made the appendages stand out to me.

I already look quite the fool for this one.

Honestly, this sodding puzzle took me weeks to figure out. I tried everything with those bloody numbers: combinations, month arrangements, addition, subtraction, multiplication, division...not once did it cross my mind that they were referring to the number of limbs that the silhouette(s) possessed.

There's something all the more infuriating about the fact that the answer is, literally, staring you in the face the entire time.

Last edited by Badass Cyborg on 28 Jun 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Oct 2006
Notes left: 465
Quote:
Now, the valves: god damn. Almost nine years of playing this game and I still don't know what the pattern is.

I think many people don't notice the thing with that puzzle, I have a number of people who still ask me to do it for them whenever they replay it.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 18 Jul 2004
Notes left: 2099
Last seen at: Australia
I was really confused by the zodiac puzzle, it took me about an hour to work it out. I felt like a total muppet when I did.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 02 May 2006
Notes left: 2703
Last seen at: UK
Badass Cyborg wrote:
alone in the town wrote:

From memory, you turn the right valve to the left once, and the left valve to the right twice. After 20+ playthroughs, I'm going to look quite the fool if I'm wrong.

Yeah that's right! I can always remember that strangely enough. Left turn on the right twice and right turn on the left. BUT, I have heard that it's not always right because there isn't just one single solution to the puzzle, though it is most of the time. I've never had that solution not work personally.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 07 Mar 2007
Notes left: 541
Last seen at: South Carolina, USA
For me, the harder puzzles were the valves, thr grim reaper and the zodiac... I was really kicking myself when I figured out the last two... I was so close, I could swear I tried all the variants of the solution except for the actual solution lol.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Jun 2010
Notes left: 8
the tile puzzle at the hospital gave me the most trouble when i stopped using a guide (after my second play through), and the zodiac puzzle.

(not really a "spoiler" but i dont want to risk it, it is about the hospital puzzle)
[spoiler]it took me ages to figure out that the poem was saying the colours in clockwise order haha[/spoiler]

but as of recently i can do the whole game without a guide, but i still have to work the piano puzzle on paper haha.[/spoiler]

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Apr 2009
Notes left: 95
Last seen at: Lithuania
Oh man I remeber when I encountered the zodiac puzzle. I tried to solve it the whole day. I even took the newspaper and studied the order of the zodiac signs, the differnt ways the may be ilustrated (like signs or animal pictures) and so on... till finally the solution aciddentally popped to my mind and I felt so stupid :D

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Jun 2010
Notes left: 64
[deleted]

Last edited by IceDhole on 25 Apr 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 30 Aug 2008
Notes left: 3
Last seen at: Warsaw, Poland
Badass Cyborg wrote:
Honestly, this sodding puzzle took me weeks to figure out. I tried everything with those bloody numbers: combinations, month arrangements, addition, subtraction, multiplication, division...not once did it cross my mind that they were referring to the number of limbs that the silhouette(s) possessed.

There's something all the more infuriating about the fact that the answer is, literally, staring you in the face the entire time.

HIGH FIVE ! I played the game in August '05, got there, tried everything, literally, and then I gave up till I managed to get on the Internet in September (school started, had no net home back then) and I was like whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat -.-

Still, 1 has the best puzzles, no doubt. I love the piano riddle as much as this one.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 05 May 2010
Notes left: 263
Last seen at: Legendary Town
Well for me the piano puzzle was one of them I just guessed the right combination and then memorized it. The clue I didn't understand at all... and after that I hated birds.

The zodiac puzzle sucked as well, lol. I spent about a day on it before looking up the guide. I still to this day don't understand how someone is supposed to know to just type in the first letter of their names. It turns out i had the right order... but I was typing out their names completely, lol. I was like, omfg this puzzle is so long hard hard to end up wrong.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 07 Mar 2007
Notes left: 541
Last seen at: South Carolina, USA
That's exactly what I did with the names LSSJGamer, I kept thinking I spelled the names wrong and stuff lol.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Aug 2008
Notes left: 211
I dont think there was a bad puzzle in the game. I thought they were all good. I did not really dislike a SH puzzle till SH3.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 14 Jul 2010
Notes left: 47
Last seen at: Silent Hill
haha its really funny reading your opinions.

I was stuck at the piano one It took me like 2 hours of trying and trying I had it so perfectly. It made sense in my head but it just didnt work. :P My wife finally took over and did it for me. :p I was like cant believe you haha..

Well SH1 - I played it on my PSP and to be absolutely honest with you guys.. I stopped SH 1 when I got to the Zodiac puzzle and ever since i kinda went away to other things.. So I should really pick the game up again. All save files etc are on my psp.

That has been the only puzzle in this game that has put me OFF for so long. And im so strongly againts cheats that I just put the game off for a whilte to get back at it later. Its time :P

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 06 Jun 2010
Notes left: 17
I had to use Gamefaqs on the Piano and Zodiac puzzles, I hate puzzles );

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst puzzle?

Missing since: 08 Aug 2010
Notes left: 362
The one where you have to rearrange the square plates by color by reading the message on the wall. I spent more than a half an hour figuring that out.

Subway Guard

Missing since: 20 Jun 2010
Notes left: 1626
For me it was the piano puzzle and the zodiac puzzle. I replayed SH1 a while ago, and completely forgot about the zodiac puzzle. I ended up googling it, and then felt silly (not only because it's so simple, but because I then remembered I had trouble with it before).
I always have trouble with the piano puzzle though. I always get at least one wrong, then get annoyed and google the solution - then promptly forget the solution...

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 05 Aug 2010
Notes left: 25
Last seen at: In a tracksuit
I was quite young as i played the game and thinking back when i hit the piano puzzle i thought "that's it, i'm buying a guide".
Maybe the tile puzzle was another one? I loved the hospital but hated to change my underwear all the time. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next