About the Alessa article

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

Darkly Noon
Just Passing Through

About the Alessa article

Post by Darkly Noon »

Hello all:

My first post here, I wonder if someone can clarify something for me:
For years I believed the Alessa article was only included in the PAL version, added as an attempt to clear some of the confusion regarding the plot. However I recently read that it's actually present on any version, including the US one, but it needs to be unlocked by checking certain things during the game, and that there isn't a version in which it's accessible by default, not even the UK one, which is usually credited as such.
So, anyone has a definitive answer regarding this subject? Anyone can confirm actually it's present or not in the UK version by default, or in any other PAL version? What about anyone that has successfully unlocked it in an US version?
Thanks in advance.
The Red Devil
Just Passing Through

Post by The Red Devil »

This is strange because I've never heard of such a thing. It's probably because I'm a total n00blet. If it does exist I'd like to find out about it also.
EDH
Erectile Dis-function Highlander
"THERE CAN ONLY BE NONE!"
Droo

Post by Droo »

It's in the PAL version, and not in any of the NTSC versions.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
The Red Devil
Just Passing Through

Post by The Red Devil »

I see. Well does anyone know what it says? It'd be cool to see this.
EDH
Darkly Noon
Just Passing Through

Post by Darkly Noon »

Do you know this for a fact, Drewfus? Not even in the Greatest Hits version? Also, do you know if it needs to be unlocked? I'd like to know exactly what does it take...

To those interested, it's a very old newspaper article, preceded by the previously seen articles about the PTV investigation and related suspicious deaths. This is what it says:

Fire broke out in town.
6 homes destroyed.
Charred body of Alessa Gillespie (7) found in aftermath.
Cause of fire currently under investigation.
Investigations show source as basement of Gillespie home. Blaze now believed caused by malfunction of antiquated boiler.

Harry comments how the date of the blaze is the same day he and his wife found Cheryl.
ControlFreak
Subway Guard

Post by ControlFreak »

Really? I have both the PAL and the NTSC versions, and I don''t remember it.
But then again, I haven't played the PAL version for a few years.
The Red Devil
Just Passing Through

Post by The Red Devil »

Hm that's very interesting. I wish you could unlock something in the game that was like "Alright, here's the story:..." And BAM! There wouldn't be a need to sit here and ponder this game....course I do love doing it...
EDH
Darkly Noon
Just Passing Through

Post by Darkly Noon »

It's found in Nowhere, 3rd floor, the room on the right (the one with the book about White Claudia), if it helps, ControlFreak. Interesting, since that particular book also needs unlocking, although it's always there, and displays a message saying you don't need to read it if you haven't unlocked it. But as far as i know, the Alessa article only appears if it's accessible, otherwise it's not there at all.
FatalFrame
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FatalFrame »

I've never heard of either. What do you do to unlock the White Claudia book? I know which one you're talking about. I always thought it was weird to have him comment on that specific book and not have it say anything.
Are you ready to begin your trip to the Otherside
Death is an old friend of mine
Darkly Noon
Just Passing Through

Post by Darkly Noon »

FatalFrame:
it's no big secret, really, not like the Alessa article. I think you basically complete the Kaufmann side quest, meeting him in the Bar, proceeding to the Indian Runner and finally in the Motel, and check everything drug and White Claudia related along the way, as well as in the rest of the game, like the memos in the police station, the powder in the altar, newspaper clips... I think that should unlock it.
By the way, do you have the PAL or the NTSC US version?
FatalFrame
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FatalFrame »

I've got the U.S. version. I did have a save game but it got deleted but I just finished another with the Kauffman side quest so I'll try to look for it.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>However I recently read that it's actually present on any version
False. Fact.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Darkly Noon
Just Passing Through

Post by Darkly Noon »

00000 wrote:>However I recently read that it's actually present on any version
False. Fact.
Well, with the necessary tools you can confirm it's actually on every game's disc, no matter what version, along with lots of other never used stuff. So I wonder if there isn't any truth to those claims...
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

There aren't. It may be available in the game's data, but it's not available in the game--same as Mary's letter to Laura in Silent Hill 2.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Darkly Noon
Just Passing Through

Post by Darkly Noon »

Ok. Out of curiosity, have you ever checked yourself? Have you ever read the document in the actual game? If so, is there anything you need to do to unlock it, or is it available by default?
Oh, and what's this letter you're talking about? I don't think I ever heard about it, or have I...?
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Have you ever read the document in the actual game?
No, I haven't unlocked the article--I neither have the European release or the Japanese re-release.

>what's this letter you're talking about?
Mary's letter to Laura, which is given to James in Lakeview Hotel. Mary was recorded reciting that letter, but it was removed from the final release--the data, however, is still available in the disc, though impossible to "unlock" in-game.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Fan from Silent Hill
Just Passing Through

Post by Fan from Silent Hill »

Hmm, I'll have to play it again sometime I didn't pay attention to that.
Last edited by Fan from Silent Hill on 05 Feb 2007, edited 1 time in total.
nur_ein_tier
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by nur_ein_tier »

i jsut played through the PAL version and unlocked it:
I unlocked it on the PAL version. i read all the drug-related stuff first.
video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvpncgcHd2w
(badly cropped, sorry for that).

I know it's not there automatically on the PAL version, anyway, you need to unlock it somehow. The NTSC versions were released before it was added to the game, is what i've read. the PTV article was what he read first there, then he says, "there's another one" and reads the alessa article.

The picture (still pic) of the article is still on the NTSC disc, but it is not unlockable. it is picture number 956 if you use PSicture.
ImageImage
Camhacks & stuff: SH1 | SH2 | SH3 | SH4 | SHSM | FaceBook | YouTube
Fredrick2003
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Fredrick2003 »

Bleh... I absolutely hate it when things are not put into our versions of games.
FatalFrame
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FatalFrame »

So you have to have the PAL version?