Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 20 Oct 2019

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
Why does a game made in 98/99 limit the ability to convey true emotional scenes?

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 24 Oct 2007
Notes left: 24
Last seen at: United Kingdom
Krist. wrote:
Why does a game made in 98/99 limit the ability to convey true emotional scenes?

There wasn't as much technology for Motion Capturing and facial expressions back then. It wasn't impossible though, just harder.

A different choice of voice actor for Harry might have helped, but no matter how bad anyone says it was, I wouldn't change it for the world. :P

Post subject:

I challenge that notion with the video game D--the voice-acting, the jarring cut scenes, the terror present in every motion MADE that game fuckin' intense. Not to mention it was seemingly impossible to beat. It didn't have great graphics, and was in the first person perspective, but that didn't stop it from being creepy as hell, and gut-wrenching. I'd wager it's one of the scariest games I've ever played. It sure gives SH a run for its money. Too bad I can't find a copy...

(I'd really hate to post Wikipedia on here, lol, since I always make fun of it but here's some alternate links, too: 1, 2, 3. And here's a link to the gameplay: Yay.)

And I can't recall if I posted in here, but Harry's not girly. Not even in his concern for Cheryl. I'm not fond of fathers, really, but even I can recognize the simple nature of concern for your child's welfare not being automatically linked with being "feminine." Also, only a real man embraces his inner uterus.

Post subject:

Missing since: 26 Dec 2004
Notes left: 2560
Last seen at: Insomnia land, where I am Queen!
Oh, D! I have 2 copies of that game, the Saturn version and the Playstation version. Yeah, that game rocked, Krist, but I always ended up laughing at certain parts. I mean, that chick runs away from boulders rolling down the stairs, she sees corpses impaled on spikes, etc., and she never bats an eyelash. But her father speaks to her and she has a 20 minute asthma attack.:)
I just bought my PS copy a year or so ago. If I find another copy of it, I will gladly let you know.
I agree with Krist that just because the game was made in the 90s, it doesn't mean it wasn't able to convey emotions. And although he wasn't girly, I agree he was kind of dumb sometimes. :)

Peachy's Predictions on Tumblr
Peachy's Predictions. on LiveJournal

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 22 Oct 2007
Notes left: 129
Last seen at: Blüdhaven
Quote:
I challenge that notion with the video game D--the voice-acting, the jarring cut scenes, the terror present in every motion MADE that game fuckin' intense. Not to mention it was seemingly impossible to beat. It didn't have great graphics, and was in the first person perspective, but that didn't stop it from being creepy as hell, and gut-wrenching. I'd wager it's one of the scariest games I've ever played. It sure gives SH a run for its money. Too bad I can't find a copy...

And I can't recall if I posted in here, but Harry's not girly. Not even in his concern for Cheryl. I'm not fond of fathers, really, but even I can recognize the simple nature of concern for your child's welfare not being automatically linked with being "feminine." Also, only a real man embraces his inner uterus.

Dude, you got daddy problems? O_O???

I actually thought the voice acting was pretty decent in Silent Hill. A lot better than what was considered the norm in the Video Games back in the 90s (or even now).... which was just plain terrible. It could've been a little more Emotive, yeah, but its by no means terrible.

Well... It didn't hurt my ears and my brain cells like they were dying, like they do when I listening to Henry Townshend [sp?] or James Sunderland.

Quote:
Silent Hill looks very good thus far, but Mr. Gans I have to ask why it is that you didn't stay true to the story and use the father, Harry Mason? In an interview you mention that the main character was changed to a woman because you believed Harry's qualities were feminine but isn't the protection and well being of a child the responsibility of every parent?
- Stuart A.

I think when Roger Avary and Nickolas Boukhrief and I started to work on the project we assumed, because we are all fans of the game, that we would start writing with Harry Mason as our lead.

It quickly became clear however Harry never acted like a masculine character. He was constantly dizzy, fainting, talking to himself, screaming and in fact was very vulnerable. We didn't want to betray the nature of the game by changing the character's feelings and motivations, so we felt it was better to change to a female protagonist and retain all those important qualities. I don't want people to think that I have been "politically correct" because we changed Harry into Rose. There is no political correctness in Silent Hill.

It's important to mention that we were conscious that allowing the Gamers to have to face a new character would help in the transition from Silent Hill the Game to Silent Hill the Movie.

....Anyhow, I didn't think Harry Mason's behavior was at all 'Girly', Gans came with the weakest [reason in recent history] to change the Main Protangonist from Male to Female. He just sounded so ignorant when he responded to the interviewer's question. Harry only fainted when Otherworld shifted back to the Gray Fogbound world (or vice versa), other than that he hardly did anything that could label him as acting like a woman.

As stated before, a Man's concern for his daughter and determination to get her back is hardly exclusive to just mothers (Besides its a nice change of Relationship Dynamic. Father/Daughter instead of Mother/Daughter all the time). That, OR vulnerablity, dizziness, and talking to yourself. Just thinking about it in that context makes Gans sound like an ass-backward Male Pro-Female Chauvinist dweeb. And when the hell did Harry "Scream" in the game? I never heard it.

If anything, he should've just straight out said he wanted to replace Harry's character with Rose because he wanted to use Females instead of the norm, I.E., males (though, ironically, the gender you'll find being used the most in a horror movie are FEMALE and hardly male most the time).

I've got nothing against Rose DaSilva (I luv her character despite her personality flaws), but I do have something against weak-ass reasoning to switch the name and gender of a character based on emotional recations. That's the dumest thing I've read in my life.

Post subject:

>Dude, you got daddy problems? O_O???

You're twenty-six, not sixteen...

>Harry only fainted when Otherworld shifted back to the Gray Fogbound world (or vice versa), other than that he hardly did anything that could label him as acting like a woman.

Yeah, and it wasn't out of fright, either. I'd like to point that out to back up this part of your post. It seems the only way he could pass over into the other sides was by being unconscious--Heather shows this to us, as well as Henry. It isn't a sign of weakness--not to mention it takes balls to shoot Cybil in the face and take on a weird God thing.

>And when the hell did Harry "Scream" in the game? I never heard it.

He did have a semi-orgasm at one point, which was quite, quite humorous. I think it's a little before the Nowhere sequence. But I concur, I never heard a scream. I think James is the only main-character in the SH series who ever screamed during a dialog/cut scene sequence.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Krist. wrote:
>Dude, you got daddy problems? O_O???

You're twenty-six, not sixteen...

>Harry only fainted when Otherworld shifted back to the Gray Fogbound world (or vice versa), other than that he hardly did anything that could label him as acting like a woman.

Yeah, and it wasn't out of fright, either. I'd like to point that out to back up this part of your post. It seems the only way he could pass over into the other sides was by being unconscious--Heather shows this to us, as well as Henry. It isn't a sign of weakness--not to mention it takes balls to shoot Cybil in the face and take on a weird God thing.

>And when the hell did Harry "Scream" in the game? I never heard it.

He did have a semi-orgasm at one point, which was quite, quite humorous. I think it's a little before the Nowhere sequence. But I concur, I never heard a scream. I think James is the only main-character in the SH series who ever screamed during a dialog/cut scene sequence.

Good thing Cybil's not a bitter cop, otherwise she probably would've arrested him for 'assulting a police officer' after escaping Silent Hill. That could just be me, though.

Post subject:

How could she arrest him for shooting her in the face? She would be dead, no?

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Mar 2007
Notes left: 490
>>Maybe English isn't your native language but *facepalm*. In the context in which we're speaking, Krist probably meant that she's not fond of the father role in video games. And even if it wasn't, that was definitely not the cool thing to do. :/

Krist. wrote:

Ahhhh. I loved that part of SH2. It was really quite raw. Damn cool.

Also, now having played SH1 for a bit (heh, yeah. Made the post without playing the game), I definitely agree that Harry's not girly. Not even with the fainting bit. (He was being STABBED by little gray creatures. D:)

.... I think Gans needs to watch his goddamn wording. He certainly lost credit in my eyes.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Dec 2006
Notes left: 202
Last seen at: In a random HOLE.
[quote="Krist
He did have a semi-orgasm at one point, which was quite, quite humorous. I think it's a little before the Nowhere sequence. [/quote]

I honestly don't remember that, and that's the kind of thing I usually remember. :lol: Please explain what part you're talking about, because frankly, it sounds really funny (plus it'll bug me until I figure it out).

I'll have to agree with pretty much everyone else here. Harry seemed both tough and somewhat gender-neutral to me, meaning that he's obviously a dude, but his personality isn't particularly masculine or feminine, it's simply human. I kind of liked having a female playing the leading role in the movie, though, but that's just because I like Radha Mitchell.

-"My Heart is the Worst Kind of Weapon" by Fall Out Boy

Thanks for the avatar, ST3wolf!

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 25 Jul 2007
Notes left: 304
Last seen at: Georgia Institue of Technology
Harry Kinda reminds me of my dad......clueless, clumbsy, and overwhelmed :mrgreen: I don't find Harry feminine at all........Henry is more girly to me.....since he's resisted cynthia's advances.... :lol:

And deep in me
Your illusion
What you see in me

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

silenthillwhore wrote:
Harry Kinda reminds me of my dad......clueless, clumbsy, and overwhelmed :mrgreen: I don't find Harry feminine at all........Henry is more girly to me.....since he's resisted cynthia's advances.... :lol:

What... are... you ... talking ... about? Cynthia? Dude, that was H-e-n-r-y that was oblvious to Cynthia's advances in Silent Hill IV: The Room --- not H a r r y of Silent Hill I.

Were you making a joke?

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Oct 2007
Notes left: 409
Last seen at: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Nightmareish Waltzer wrote:
silenthillwhore wrote:

What... are... you ... talking ... about? Cynthia? Dude, that was H-e-n-r-y that was oblvious to Cynthia's advances in Silent Hill IV: The Room --- not H a r r y of Silent Hill I.

Were you making a joke?

I dont think he was oblivious, but just wary not to do anything foolish. After seeing monsters and such... i wouldnt be gettin to close to some girl in a random subway....

BUT... trying not to get off topic.....

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19401
Last seen at: #lfk
>Were you making a joke?
The joke's on you if you read his message again.

silenthillwhore wrote:
I don't find Harry feminine at all........Henry is more girly to me.....since he's resisted cynthia's advances....

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

The Adversary wrote:
>Were you making a joke?
The joke's on you if you read his message again.

Blows Raspberry. Eh... so... I... misread... his... name....

Probably... wouldn't... have... if... he... didn't write like he was pausing between words all the time, like so.

Post subject:

He didn't pause between all his words. There were pauses between sentences--a drastic and significant difference.

Post subject:

You blew a raspberry? Like, for real?
I don't know though. Henry wasn't very femme either. She didn't really make it out to give him her special favor, and he didn't exactly say no. :wink:

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 24 Oct 2007
Notes left: 24
Last seen at: United Kingdom
That "D" game looks interesting, even if the main character looks kinda man-ish in parts of that video, hehe. Never-the-less I like survival horror/adventure horror in most forms so I'll keep my eyes open for it.

Quote:
"(including the movie directors, I think)"

I think I remember something about that in the making of. They said that while writing the main characters part they felt that his actions were better suited for a female protagonist.
Not sure what this says about their writing though...

Post subject:

D is a pretty interesting game. I have to say, I never saw that plot twist coming at the end. The only thing about D is, at least on the Saturn, there is no pause function. None. You have 2 hours, real time. So you better make sure you use the bathroom and eat before you commit to a game.
That does annoy me. I would have liked to have had Harry as the main character of the movie. It did end up making more sense with Rose because of her contrasting with Dahlia, but still.

Subway Guard
 Post subject:

Missing since: 02 Aug 2005
Notes left: 1523
Last seen at: Colombia
In fact... We see that Harry tries to take Lisa with him and protect her, he also insists about go first at Green Lion's Hole although Cybil is a policewoman... he assumes his role as a protective m,an with the girls so harry isn't girly you stupid Mr. Gans... Anyay the good thing about Rose replacing Harry in the movie is that harry didn't syffer any damage in this way...

I jeard Harry screaming when that tentacle at Nowhere's kitchen got him, I screamed with him...