Schrödinger's cat (Related to SH1?)

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

It certainly makes sense, but I don't remember Harry finding a dead cat. The cat jumped out the first time... the other time, wasn't the locker empty?

What Eileen Scarlette said makes sense, but I think there's just as much chance that the cat was there solely for a scare factor. Hearing that noise and then going through the locker room to find it is kind of scary in itself- then, later, hearing the noises and finding the locker empty... downright eerie.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

There's a cat shaped splatter of blood on the bottom of the locker, I think. And heck, if we're just gonna write it off as Scare Factor, than so is the entire series, thus neutralizing any and all plot analysis.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
overachiever547
Gravedigger

Post by overachiever547 »

But is it mere coincidence that of all animals in the locker, it was a *cat*, or that of all places to put it, it was in a small, enclosed space, and that of all plot devices Silent Hill could have used, it explores the themes of multiple dimensions?

I think the theory makes perfect, logical sense, and is actually a lot simpler and more directly evidenced than some of the other psychoanalytical sh*t people do on SH2.
Hurm...
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

Like I said, it does make a lot of sense, and is certainly believable. I only said there's also another possibility.

I don't remember the cat shaped blood stains, but now that you said it, I think I do remember there being some blood when it showed the locker. Just never noticed it had a shape.
The Silent Executioner
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by The Silent Executioner »

Noones asking the real question though, what did that cat do to be sucked into the nightmare that is Silent Hill? :shock:
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

Who says there was a cat in the locker the second time? All Harry says is "It's empty" and the entire inside of the locker was completely red from blood, I don't remember any "cat-like" shapes in there. And I'm pretty sure the cat died when it ran away the first time. While it's a good theory and matches up pretty well, Idk. There's no proof there was a cat in it the second time and it wasn't implyed either. ie: no meows, scratches or anything related to a cat.
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Noones asking the real question though, what did that cat do to be sucked into the nightmare that is Silent Hill?
Who said the cat had to be real?
Who says there was a cat in the locker the second time? All Harry says is "It's empty" and the entire inside of the locker was completely red from blood, I don't remember any "cat-like" shapes in there. And I'm pretty sure the cat died when it ran away the first time. While it's a good theory and matches up pretty well, Idk. There's no proof there was a cat in it the second time and it wasn't implyed either. ie: no meows, scratches or anything related to a cat.
I found the empty locker first, and then the locker the cat jumped out of. And it was very heavily implied, actually. I remember a cat-shape, kitty growls, and scratches.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
overachiever547
Gravedigger

Post by overachiever547 »

AuraTwilight wrote:
Noones asking the real question though, what did that cat do to be sucked into the nightmare that is Silent Hill?
Who said the cat had to be real?
I found the empty locker first, and then the locker the cat jumped out of. And it was very heavily implied, actually. I remember a cat-shape, kitty growls, and scratches.
As do I. I remember precisely being freaked out that there was nothing in there but blood, and wondering how blood could make cat sounds in an enclosed space.
Hurm...
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

AuraTwilight wrote:I found the empty locker first, and then the locker the cat jumped out of. And it was very heavily implied, actually. I remember a cat-shape, kitty growls, and scratches.

I've just played the game right now until the Lizard (I've had to bring both my PS2 along with the PSP, taut that there wouldn't be any games for PSP in here) and there's no such yokes like these. In the first time, you hear the locker banging, open it up, the cat comes out and then you hear the sound of a door opening and what sounds like a monster killing something, but not even then you hear any "kitty growls". The same goes for when you get there in its alternate form, and there are just blood splatters everywhere inside, none of them resembling the shape of a cat.
Xev

Post by Xev »

but it doesnt matter that the cat is not there the second time - I know theres blood everywhere in SH, but the blood is the cat the second time.

edit; while Ive never witnessed that sequence, Im going on the theory and discription. The blood would explain the alternate theory. Alternate theory, alternate reality. cat lives, cat dies.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

What Starsail said. Whether or not there's actual signs of a cat there, the implications are obvious, and it's one of the few literary devices to help the player realize he's in an alternate reality.
Scanman22
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Scanman22 »

Maybe I'm too tired to actually understand what the hell it is you guys are talking about? What is the "interesting theory" that every one is congradulating the original poster about? Yes, in foggy world there is a cat in the locker. In nightmare world, there may or may not be a mutilated cat. If that mutilated bloody corpse is the cat, then are y'all trying to say that b/c it is an alternate reality, you got there too late and the cat was mutilated before you could let him out?

Either way, in my opinion, the cat dies horribly. In foggy world, it is YOUR fault by chain of events that the cat is killed. When you let the little guy out of his locker, he runs out the door and is gobbled up by some unknown monster. Although, it could be your fault in nightmare world as well by not getting to him in time and it's the monster that opens the locker and snacks on Mr. Kitty right there.

LOL! That's my two cents on this topic b/c I still have no idea what this post is trying to accomplish except trying to sound overly intelligent with quantum physics and alternate realities. Zzzzzz. . . it all boils down to a dead cat. . .
- Member of the Order -
~ The Sect of Valtiel ~
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

Wait a minute....has anybody tried to NOT let the cat out and see what happens later? :?: :idea:
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

You can't continue: letting the "cat" out triggers the corpse in the locker to fall out with the key required to advance.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

I knew there had to be something like that I was forgetting. Oh yeah, I thought the corpse fell out in the alternate world, my bad.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Scanman, the interesting theory is that the whole cat thing is an allusion to Schroedinger's Cat. Tis it.
Jim beam was yo dADDY
Just Passing Through

Post by Jim beam was yo dADDY »

The corpse only falls out in the evil school with the library reserve key. The Good world only has the cat getting killed by a baby. I don't think you have to witness the cat to advance through the real school. The evil shool has more real game time then the first. I can breeze through the first school but every time i try on the second school i forget the ball, or a key....... grrrr.... and the wholle theory in the first post dosent make sense to me. Either the hammer tiggers th acid or it dosent. the atom has to set off the device first right? other wise the hamer would set off the acid prematurly before you can even get the damn cat in the box..... wait till PETA hears about this...
And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

I remembered this while my gf was playing SH for the first time, but she let the cat out. SO I re-played the beginning of the game and got up to the locker room in normal world and did NOT let the cat out, I went into the room and stood in front of the locker but didn't let the cat out. I continued to played through up to the alternate world and got to the locker room once again and opened the locker. But unfortunetly the locker remains bloody and empty and the body falls out like usual. Slightly disapointing but oh well no biggie.
Squarehead
Gravedigger

Post by Squarehead »

But is it mere coincidence that of all animals in the locker, it was a *cat*, or that of all places to put it, it was in a small, enclosed space, and that of all plot devices Silent Hill could have used, it explores the themes of multiple dimensions?
Well, cats jumping out at you suddenly from nowhere when you're expecting some monster is a huge cliche in horror movies. And i'm sure parallel realities or whatever are also not a completely unusual theme in movies and games. And if you start thinking about what the game's case has in common with Schrödinger's cat, you also gotta think the differences like the fact that there was no acid in the box in the game. So it could be either way. It's plausible that it's a coincidence and it's plausible that some developer had this Schrödinger's cat thing in mind when developing.

In any case, a very interesting topic and find, thanks to the topic poster. This certainly is something to think of, especially in the world of Silent Hill where someone being dead or alive may depend entirely on the observer.
I can't believe i earned 10 Silent Hill cash for this.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

>it's one of the few literary devices to help the player realize he's in an alternate reality.

I think the fact alone that Harry steps out the house, sees day turn to night and even weirder monsters pop is a nice way to tell the player they're in an alternate reality without this concept. I didn't need any more explanation than that.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.