Schrödinger's cat (Related to SH1?)

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yea, but such an explanation doesn't work for anyone. Could simply think something was wrong with the town in the same reality, like a virus or a weather machine or some....dumb thing like that.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Son_of_Kauffman
Gravedigger

Post by Son_of_Kauffman »

If you don´t let the cat out, nothing happens. The locker keeps shaking, and the Otherworld corpse secuence goes on as usual. I prefer not letting the cat out.
Spetsnaz of the Interior Troops of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia
Spetsnaz sil Vnutrenniye Voiska Ministerstva Vnutrennikh Del

http://egan.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/20/california-will-survive-its-crackup/?ref=opinion

Think of Italy — which reminds me of California in so many ways — and its chronic inability to form a government. That’s California, with even better food and no parliamentary system.
....somewhere in Italy a contract was put out on the life of the article's author.
Jim beam was yo dADDY
Just Passing Through

Post by Jim beam was yo dADDY »

in a way if you keep the cat in the locker, than it may live
And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

^Nope.
LanceS133 wrote:I remembered this while my gf was playing SH for the first time, but she let the cat out. SO I re-played the beginning of the game and got up to the locker room in normal world and did NOT let the cat out, I went into the room and stood in front of the locker but didn't let the cat out. I continued to played through up to the alternate world and got to the locker room once again and opened the locker. But unfortunetly the locker remains bloody and empty and the body falls out like usual. Slightly disapointing but oh well no biggie.
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
Son_of_Kauffman
Gravedigger

The cat secuence only adds a monster, apparently.

http://egan.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/20/california-will-survive-its-crackup/?ref=opinion

Think of Italy — which reminds me of California in so many ways — and its chronic inability to form a government. That’s California, with even better food and no parliamentary system.
....somewhere in Italy a contract was put out on the life of the article's author.
Jim beam was yo dADDY
Just Passing Through

Post by Jim beam was yo dADDY »

what i meant wad if you leave the cat in the locker he wont get eatin, i doubt the caty travels to the evil school. I was pointing out the irony about keeping the cat in the box will kill it with the acid, but you leave the cat in the locker and it lives...
And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

Oh gotcha....but umm wouldn't it die of starvation? lol
Lifetolifeless
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Lifetolifeless »

I'm glad Squarehead touched on the cliché slant here. The idea of having spring-loaded cats in a scary movie or game is a generic illustration of the genres cheap or knee-jerk devices. Silent Hill just did it literally. I prefer to think of it as a deliberate joke, and I'd hope that they had their tongues in their cheeks when planning it.

It’s not as bad as spontaneously imploding windows, or Doberman Pinschers with meat stapled to them.

Patience is the darkest side of power.
Son_of_Kauffman
Gravedigger

I just simplify things by knowing that the cat is NOT suppossed to be there anyway.
Just another way to torture gamers with ilogical stuff( Which is what Silent Hill is made of).

LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

Umm, what video game isn't?
Son_of_Kauffman
Gravedigger

Any western game. They just have a couple easter eggs, but nothing special.

Squarehead
Gravedigger

Post by Squarehead »

I'm glad Squarehead touched on the cliché slant here. The idea of having spring-loaded cats in a scary movie or game is a generic illustration of the genres cheap or knee-jerk devices. Silent Hill just did it literally. I prefer to think of it as a deliberate joke, and I'd hope that they had their tongues in their cheeks when planning it.
I'm pretty sure it was a very deliberate one.
I can't believe i earned 10 Silent Hill cash for this.
fatica9
Just Passing Through

Post by fatica9 »

i haven't played the game in awhile so i don't remember if there is any suggestion that the cat is alive in the fog world. is there any rattling or banging that might indicate there is something in the locker in the fog world?

my understanding of the theory is that the cat is in superposition of states until you actually open the box (or locker in this case). during the nightmare world i would agree that the cat could exist in a superposition of states because you have observed changes that affect other areas of silent hill but are not aware of whether that cat is alive, dead, missing, changed, etc. until you open the locker.
Doo-glas
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Doo-glas »

hmmm you're right, it probably is a reference to that
Eileen Scarlette
Just Passing Through

Post by Eileen Scarlette »

If theres a cat the first time, naturally you think It has to be one too the second time (majority of us, I believe). When youre in the first reality, and open that locker, you dont know whats coming out of it. Second time youre kinda EXPECTING the cat to jump again...or in this case find him dead. The theory says too that "what will happen if you try to save the cat? You can "become" the cat and get trapped" So, when Harry lets the cat out you just hear a noise, he has been killed. When you go out of the room, a monster that "it was not there" when you entered the locker room, attacks you.

Oh yeah one other thing, Im just talking about a THEORY, the important fact here is that a cat is trapped, his destiny depends entirely of whos opening the box, and when. Obviously about two realities too...Nothing to do with acid or a hammer.
[img]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b267/Airol/3djshehg.jpg[/img]
Ashmodean
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Ashmodean »

This reminds me of a point that was brought up before about why Harry dies in the begining and then wakes up in the cafe. Something about Daliah or Alessa or god or whoever is resetting events and placing him in the cafe with Cybil so that he can try again. Supposedly thats also why Harry starts in the cafe instead of in his jeep when playing a New Fear.

Maybe it is actually just different sceneros that are playing out simultaniously just with slight differences (multiverse theory). Maybe the cat in the locker is a way of showing that Harry isn't moving through time. He is arriving at the same time in each place. It really confuses the hell out of me though I mean if your not moving along wiht time time still has to be moving for you right?

I now this is all real sketchy and doesnt make much sense i just remember it being brought up before and this thread reminded me of it.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I think that's a bit of a stretch, considering that canonically he only returns to the cafe once, and the Otherworld doesn't seem to follow the Many-Worlds Interpretation (since quantum physics aren't involved.)
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Ashmodean
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Ashmodean »

I think that's a bit of a stretch, considering that canonically he only returns to the cafe once
Thats what the whole multiverse thing is about. I dont know if the theory is right. The cat idea just made me think abotu it.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Well, the obvious implication is that the cafe scene is Harry being spared Alessa's wrath, not that he's entering another universe.
Ashmodean
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Ashmodean »

l
Well, the obvious implication is that the cafe scene is Harry being spared Alessa's wrath, not that he's entering another universe.

I never said he went to another universe (other than otherworld or the fog world, that could be considered another universe) but no thats not what I was talking about at all. Multiverses have to do with the idea that for every event there are multiple possible outcomes and that there are paralell dimensions for each one of those outcomes. Kind of like the cat. Possibly the otherworld is capable of displaying these multiple outcomes maybe even all at once? Again i don't know if its righ tit jsut rang a bell when i read this thread.