The signifigance of the snow in silent hill

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

PeachySakura24
Historical Society Historian

Post by PeachySakura24 »

And if it is as I suggested for the symbolic meaning of being sterile, then maybe it was a warning sign that the god was not going to be born Nothing can be born correctly in the cold of winter.
Hey, now, I was born in the cold of winter, lol. I am a February baby. J/k, I know what you mean.
Aura, I have no idea why they went down that path with the lyrics, but it gives me the chills when I listen to it. If I am not mistaken , the ending passage of that song goes:
"Cuz love itself is just as innocent as roses in May, it is pure white, just like sin." The song is pretty much about someone who is so crazily in love with someone that they would let them beat them, or they would cause harm to themselves because they are so taken in by them. It is a creepy yet awesome song. :)
Sorry, onwards to talk about snow. :D
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I meant that maybe it is snowing because Alessa is trying not to let the god be born. Making the world seem cold and painfu, sterilel could make the god think twice about coming into being back on earth. If you were the god, would you want to be brought through in an infertile envoriment, when the world is cold and dead?
Well, God's purpose is to destroy and/or redeem an unpleasant world, so if anything, that'd only foster it.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

Well, then perhaps with my symcolbic meaning of white being a cold and painful existance and what you just said the god wanting to save the world from a cold and painful existance... perhaps that is the meaning of the white snow in Silent Hill. Perhaps it is an effect that the Cult is using.

Eureka! We have found iti

To Peachy:
;-) So was my brother. Good thing you guys weren't born in Asia, huh? Besides, it is just a symbolic meaning, like a person's zodiac or blood type.
Last edited by Harrys_Girl on 24 May 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

PeachySakura24 wrote:
^ Actually, white is not always seen as a color of purity and innocence. That is only a popular Western symbolic meaning for the color white. White is only associated with child or virgin-like qualities.

In the far East, i.e. Japan, China, and Korea white is seen as the color of Sterility. The total opposite of the feritle colors of summer, when the world is full of life. White is seens as a color of coldness, as snow when the world is dead and in pain. It is more linked to the barren woman or man, unable to pass on more life into the world.
If you listen to the lyrics of "A Love Suicide" from Rule of Rose, they say "it is pure white, just like sin." That can be an interesting parallel too.
Yeah but that song is chock full of really bad Engrish, so you have to take it with a grain of salt.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

You think so, Krist? Huh. I guess I never really noticed. I guess it is because it isn't nearly as bad as the songs sung in English from Tsubasa Chronicles, lol.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

There's also the idea that winter may simply have been Alessa's favorite time of year- and she wanted to emulate (that's the right word, I think lol) it in her world. It would be very similar to me always being in a good mood anytime it starts to get cold- even if Christmas is still months away- because I know it means December is coming. And I know I'd make my world to fit what made me happiest. That's just my two cents though.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Well, then perhaps with my symcolbic meaning of white being a cold and painful existance and what you just said the god wanting to save the world from a cold and painful existance... perhaps that is the meaning of the white snow in Silent Hill. Perhaps it is an effect that the Cult is using.

Eureka! We have found iti
I highly doubt the cult has that much influence on Alessa's Otherworld, but I like where you're going with this. Let's combine ideas.

The world is cold, dark, and painful. Both Otherworlds we see in SH1 have these characteristics. Cheryl is innocent, and seems to have dominance in Misty World, and as a result, there is snow. It is cold, too much of it is painful, it's dreary, but there is a beauty and innocence to it that cause us to cling to the purity left in the corruption. This world could represent the aspect of the world the God will "save" (or atleast what the cult thinks the God will save, dumbasses). And then there's the Otherworld. It's gritty, dark, completely unpleasant, and we all wish it'd go away. It's horrible. There's nothing good at all here. And yet, isn't everything....kinda burned? There's a fire motif what with Alessa, but isn't the God supposed to cleanse the world in FIRE? This is the aspect of the world God won't even try to salvage.

Damn, I rule.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

^ I appluade you. Both for conneting the dots as well as calling the cult dumbasses in a highly professional way. That certainly makes the most sense. It takes into account all the evidence and brings forth a meaningful line on which it all runs. Brilliant!
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

This thread definitely deserves Quick Linkage now.
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

So, whenever someone calls you a genius, Aura, the thread goes to Quick Link? :D I do think that is a good theory you have there, so I won't argue, lol.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

So, whenever someone calls you a genius, Aura, the thread goes to Quick Link?
Well, no. Otherwise we'd have too many quick-links, but this thread definitely deserves to be one. The subject material is noteworthy enough, and I think we've about wrapped up the issue.
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

Quote:
So, whenever someone calls you a genius, Aura, the thread goes to Quick Link?

Well, no. Otherwise we'd have too many quick-links,
Cute. Reeeeal cute. :mrgreen:

I agree though, this is a quick-link worthy subject. However, you never know who else will pipe in with a new theory. I have really enjoyed reading everyone's take on the snow. Except for when people said the snow was ash. :)
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

I agree that it is quick link worthy, because, I thought that the therory AuraTwilight came up with, which included both the Eastern symbolic meaning for the color white and the Western symbolic meaning for the color white, as well as the double standard that is both the Misty World and the Other World, was spot on.

However, if others want to chime in on their take, perhaps bring in new ideas and meaning, which, considering the last two or three pages has been only Krist, AuraTwilight, you Peachy and myself, is unlikely. But if there is anything new to add, have at it.
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

True, but sometimes if I simply mention his name, Cursed appears. Like Bloody Mary or something. So maybe now he will come on in and chime in with something. :)
Will
Just Passing Through

Post by Will »

Any relation between the snow from SH 1 and the ashes from SH Origins?

I think Cheryl's existence in the town creates the snow, but...maybe this is not th best theory..
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

Where are there ashes in SH0?
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Rin
Just Passing Through

Post by Rin »

^Yeah, I thought Travis only mentioned the smoke, not ashes. Oo
Will
Just Passing Through

Post by Will »

Oops...my fault. i was wrong..

I realized there were ashes in SHO when you are near of the burning house. So, there was smoke, not ashes.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

^There was not even any snow in SHO. There was fog, I am not even sure there was rain in the OtherWorld.
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

Oh good, I thought I missed something, lol. There really wasn't much of a weather thing going on in Origins at all, was there? Obviously there were ashes near the house, as it was on fire, but not falling like snow.