The signifigance of the snow in silent hill

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

The signifigance of the snow in silent hill

Post by David01 »

The reason I'm making this topic, is because I never understood the reason behind the snow falling in Silent Hill 1. You dont see the snow in the rest of the series, and I was just wondering why that is? Now in the movie, they portray the snow as ash because of a coal fire in the town. But in all reality in the actual story of silent Hill we all know that this is not the case at all. But I am curious about this, and I dont remember there being another thread about this anywhere. So if someone could please find out the reasoning behind the snow, and what it possibly represents please let me know.

Feel free to give your opinions on this subject I find it interesting, that snow is falling in the town in the first place when their are leaves on the trees.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

I always figured it was either snowy in reality, or a manifestation of Cheryl's innocence, which was complementary to Alessa's fiery rage and horror.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

>a manifestation of Cheryl's innocence. . .
I like that. I don't think it's snowing in reality, as Kaufmann comments on how bizarre it is that it's snowing at that time of year. It's further evidence to him that something is wrong, and coming from a guy that just shot a small pterodactyl in his office, that's saying something.
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

We have discussed this before and I still believe that the snow is not snow at all, but ashes, representing the burning of Alessa's house. I'm not sure where the old topic is...
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

The game itself says that is snow...
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

Ok cool, but why is it snowing? I mean, it looks to make more sense if it is in fact ash. I agree being that Alessa's house burned, it would probably throw a fair amount of ash into the air. I dont know, but I believe that there was some hidden meaning behind the snow, that has not been answered. I mean the movie says that it's ash, but we all know that the movie is not cannon.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

David, did you look at my post? I presented a possible answer to your question, and you don't seem to have acknowledged it.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

Sorry about that Aura, I just now saw your post. And I agree with you on that, it makes sense. :D I sometimes do not get the chance to check in here as often as I'd like to. And at times when I do, I forget to read all the posts, my apologies to you sir. But Alessa's rage and Horror does fit the bill. I actually only started this topic, to see what everyone's theories were on the subject. Because I always found the snow in sh1 to be very interesting. Do you have any other theories on the subject, Or how about anyone else. So far that's the best answer I've seen... good work Aura.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

it's snow because it's unusual for april weather.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

And doesn't a character or two mention the weather and specifically call it snow?

... And aren't white flakes coming down from the sky? Idk. You can think the ash thing if you want but it's still white.. and still called snow... and remarked upon that it's "weird" for that time of year.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
B5160-R

Post by B5160-R »

Kaufmann: "Everyone seems to have disappeared. And it's snowing outside -- this time a year. Something's gone seriously wrong."
[ Un-Space Exploration - UE photo blog ]
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

It couldn't be ash from Alessa's house, at least, not literally, because

Silent Hill Origins spoilers:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Silent Hill Origins happens circa 7 years before Silent Hill I, and when Travis enters the town, he sees
"That wasn't fog...It's smoke...My God..."
He then goes into Alessa's house to save her. Yay chivalry.
Of course, because Silent Hill I's version of Silent Hill is modeled after Alessa's mind, the 'ash' could still be falling in her mind. But this is disprooven because, as people have stated before, Kaufman states that it is definitely snowing.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Alright, so we all agree that it IS snowing and it's out of season, but WHY? What does it mean? Cheryl's Innocence? Literal snow as a manifestation of radio static? Alessa hates summer? What?
crucifix

Post by crucifix »

AuraTwilight wrote: Literal snow as a manifestation of radio static?
i like that idea, but i think the meaning is more along the lines of mortality. winter causes a lot of demise... but then, everything comes back alive once spring starts. death and rebirth, maybe? cycles?
no longer active. thanks for the memories.
Jim beam was yo dADDY
Just Passing Through

Post by Jim beam was yo dADDY »

I don't know why it is snowing in the game but I do know that it helps add a certain ambiance to the game. Snow is down right creepy. If any one here has ever been snowed in than you'd know. Snow makes one feel isolated, cut off from the rest of the world. Snow and fog are two of the weather patterns that envoke emotions of alienation in the human heart. Also this game was influenced by many movies, and the craziest movie I ever saw was set in Alaska, It was called The Thing. Blood on snow creates a very unnerving image. Plus we all know that the fog helped the game render offscreen polygons before we got there, maybe the snow played a part in that too, and the reason it is not in any other game is because the technology got better.... but I still miss it.
</wall-o-text>
And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

I think it just adds to the creepy-factor because...like said numerous times...it was snowing at that time of year.
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
flown
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by flown »

I agree with most of what 'Jim beam was yo dADDY' said.

"Snow and fog are two of the weather patterns that envoke emotions of alienation in the human heart. "

I agree but also think the snow represents Alessa's desire for something to sooth the burn.

"Also this game was influenced by many movies"

It's known that the creators were fans of the Shining and we all remember the "All work and no play..." part, so yeah, behind isolation insanity lurks...

"Plus we all know that the fog helped the game render offscreen polygons before we got there, maybe the snow played a part in that too, and the reason it is not in any other game is because the technology got better"

Yes, it's logical the restricted visibility reduced loading times, so hooray for snow!!

Conclusion: the snow is a tribute, a symbol and pretty functional at the same time.
Long before the existence of Silent Hill, the ground there was seen as sacred by native americans and it was the place where rituals occured...

[img]http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss323/vollublevolar/homecoming-1-5-1-1.jpg[/img]
Jim beam was yo dADDY
Just Passing Through

Post by Jim beam was yo dADDY »

As a joke my freind thought that the snow was just coke, or the white claudia falling from the sky somehow, enducing all the bizzare things seen.
And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yea, no one's heard THAT theory before...
devillo
Just Passing Through

Post by devillo »

lol, I was actually going to suggest it was the White Claudia that got burned up in Daliah's house, but since its a regular topic I'll drop it then. It would be nice to see the snow return though. I think with SH5 the effects with the snow could look really beautiful.
Will you wont you will you wont you join, the Dance?