Otherworld: things look old

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

Detective Cartland
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Detective Cartland »

The paintings in the church in Silent Hill 3 shown us that the Otherworld already shows characteristics that resembles what we've seen during our adventures in the game. Such as the oblong "birthing hole" in the said paintings. These may be a creation of the Order but it seems the Otherworld embraces it.
[img]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/Juridawn/Graphics/DouglasSig.jpg[/img]
[i]"And everything seemed to be going so well...."[/i]
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

The Otherworld embraces EVERYTHING. And besides, Claudia created those paintings, and we know she has an influence over the Otherworld in SH3, so..yea.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

I would put more like a broken mirror that reflects your fears, insecurities, and/or darker emotions instead of your physical reflection.
BlackFire

Re: Otherworld: things look old

Post by BlackFire »

valkyre wrote:OK, work with me here. and remember, i think of number one as more real then the other ones, and that this is just a hypothesis.

Doesnt everything in the otherworld look extremely old? i imagine, that each time the otherworld is traveled to (or created?...) maybe YEARS has passed, maybe even a long time, long enough time for people to deform.....and live in this hellish dimension. THings are rusted, torn down, built again, building things simply to torture themselves and eachother.

the point is....things are old. I remember another poster mentioning that its almost dystopian future, a hellish future where pain is king.

never mind the poetics, anymore thoughts on this?

(didnt find anything in search...)
Well, it's an historical town.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

He wasn't talking about the town itself, Blackfire.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Midori-chan
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Midori-chan »

The otherworld ia a manufestation of Alessa's nightmares and she know the Silent Hill that she lived in 24 years ago, things have changed.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/profile/Midori-tan/]Profile[/url]\\[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Midori-tan]My Anime List[/url]\\[url=http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Midori-tan]My Manga List[/url]
AgentNein
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by AgentNein »

Midori-chan wrote:The otherworld ia a manufestation of Alessa's nightmares and she know the Silent Hill that she lived in 24 years ago, things have changed.
I've always been under the impression that the other world existed well before alessa. She just effected it. But of course this as well as many things are up for debate.
Justice has a name, and the name it has, besides justice, is Captain Hammer!
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

The power that spawns Otherworlds existed long before Alessa, but it seems to be that for every person tapping into that power, is a separate Otherworld. They may share elements, but seem to otherwise be their own worlds that trickle into each other.
SHACKled89451
Gravedigger

Post by SHACKled89451 »

Rob Matter wrote:To the extent that the environment is falling apart and rusted, yes, I suppose "old" is an appropriate description.
At least for the first game, that sounds right... But I think the idea was to convey a feeling of hopelessness, like the world is falling apart around you, such as the feelings Alessa must have felt when she was being held against her will...
revalations 23:16
jthomp1286
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by jthomp1286 »

As far as the first game goes, I guess you could say the environment looks "old" but that's not supposed to indicate any sort of time lapse. I always thought of it as the exact opposite of the reality you passed from. In a very literal sense, you have stepped into someone's nightmare where everything they feared has come to life. And everything around you has been influenced by that nightmare. Roads torn down to chain link, complete darkness, rusted floors, bloody walls, etc.
Under the burning sun I take a look around
Imagine if this all came down
SHACKled89451
Gravedigger

Post by SHACKled89451 »

jthomp1286 wrote:As far as the first game goes, I guess you could say the environment looks "old" but that's not supposed to indicate any sort of time lapse. I always thought of it as the exact opposite of the reality you passed from. In a very literal sense, you have stepped into someone's nightmare where everything they feared has come to life. And everything around you has been influenced by that nightmare. Roads torn down to chain link, complete darkness, rusted floors, bloody walls, etc.
The effects and intensity of the otherworld vary depending on who's experiencing it....
jthomp1286
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by jthomp1286 »

Yes, but I was referring only to Silent Hill 1 in this case (see the first line of my reply).
Under the burning sun I take a look around
Imagine if this all came down
SHACKled89451
Gravedigger

Post by SHACKled89451 »

jthomp1286 wrote:Yes, but I was referring only to Silent Hill 1 in this case (see the first line of my reply).

I know, what I said applies to SH1 as well.
Raider Man

Post by Raider Man »

Otherworld is a mental world where someone could imagine about something and you step on it, as jthomp said, I get what he means, when you play SH in otherworld, you see that every thing around you is old, thats because you see even walls had changed into a nightmare and it covers in bloos and rust so that the things around you also became the same!
What is the different between otherworld and underworld? Can anyone tell?
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yes: The Otherworld can be pleasant, if you allow it to be.
SHACKled89451
Gravedigger

Post by SHACKled89451 »

Raider Man wrote:Otherworld is a mental world where someone could imagine about something and you step on it, as jthomp said, I get what he means, when you play SH in otherworld, you see that every thing around you is old, thats because you see even walls had changed into a nightmare and it covers in bloos and rust so that the things around you also became the same!
If you actually read jthomp's earlier post, thats not at all what he said... someone else said it looked "old" He was saying he gets why someone would say that, but that he thinks that there really ISN'T any sort of time lapse going on there, besides a normal one... you need to read the threads more carefully..
Ryoshockwave
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ryoshockwave »

I never thought of it as being "old"... or at least, no older than the regular world. Everything looks really rusted, though. It's like tetanus heaven.
Dr. Eggnog

Post by Dr. Eggnog »

Maybe it's because the came is old and beause it takes place in the seventies.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Haha. The otherworld is just a metal grating right above the normal silent hill, with the fog world on top of it, too ;)
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

That's...totally impossible.