Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 18 Oct 2019

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 06 Mar 2008
Notes left: 1482
Last seen at: Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium
>Who told you that Alessa wasn't influencing foggy silent hill anyway?
Silent Hill Official Guidebook told me, indirectly, that the foggy world existed prior to the birth of Alessa.

>You know, before all the people disappeared suddenly
People have disapperad in Silent Hill since the late 1800's, not "shortly before the arrival of Harry Mason".

>Are your thoughts a reliable source?
Still, I haven't said anything from my own thoughts. All I've done is referencing to stated facts.

>It's basic logic.
It's not basic logic, it's your belief.

The Otherworld is someone's alternate reality. The foggy world is, as stated, the alternate reality of the town. By saying this, I'm referencing to my very first post "The foggy world could be just as far away from reality as Nowhere" without making any conlusions. You don't know. We don't know. I've tried to tell you from the very beginning.

Post subject:

Jonipoon wrote:
>Who told you that Alessa wasn't influencing foggy silent hill anyway?
Silent Hill Official Guidebook told me, indirectly, that the foggy world existed prior to the birth of Alessa.

>You know, before all the people disappeared suddenly
People have disapperad in Silent Hill since the late 1800's, not "shortly before the arrival of Harry Mason".

>Are your thoughts a reliable source?
Still, I haven't said anything from my own thoughts. All I've done is referencing to stated facts.

>It's basic logic.
It's not basic logic, it's your belief.

The Otherworld is someone's alternate reality. The foggy world is, as stated, the alternate reality of the town. By saying this, I'm referencing to my very first post "The foggy world could be just as far away from reality as Nowhere" without making any conlusions. You don't know. We don't know. I've tried to tell you from the very beginning.

I've never seen a quote to that effect. By "foggy" silent hill they could have just as easily meant the land itself, not the state it is in. Whatever you got "indirectly" is not the same thing I got. So you have no more right to assume things than I do.

and I've never heard of any other situation where all the people in Silent Hill were consumed at once. Disappearances have occurred before, but never on this scale.

and we know we don't know. -_-
It's called "speculating", that wonderful thing we do when we don't know. I've speculated and come to my own conclusions that I don't see any glaring errors with. Why don't you go harass the guy who thinks the flooring represents a grill a bit? :P

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

I'm referencing to a source, which you don't.

>and I've never heard of any other situation where all the people in Silent Hill were consumed at once.
I didn't say. I said that the foggy world existed prior to Alessa's birth - and it dragged in people as well.

Please don't force me to repeat everything I said earlier.

You're free to speculate, but don't say its true - because it isn't.

Post subject:

Jonipoon wrote:
I'm referencing to a source, which you don't.

>and I've never heard of any other situation where all the people in Silent Hill were consumed at once.
I didn't say. I said that the foggy world existed prior to Alessa's birth - and it dragged in people as well.

Please don't force me to repeat everything I said earlier.

You're free to speculate, but don't say its true - because it isn't.

Did I ever say it was true? You just haven't done anything to prove that it isn't. You never directly referenced a source. You just stated that the source agreed with you.

and prove that it existed. You said it did, sure, but if you're going to act so conclusive be a little more formal with it. Post a quote or something.

You just disagree with me. That's fine. You have no reason to assume you're any more correct than I though.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11384
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Regardless, the Foggy World does seem more "grounded" in reality simply because it follows it more closely with less severe manifestations, and Alessa does show that she is able to influence the foggy world on some level, same with James and others.

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Jan 2008
Notes left: 1323
Last seen at: Minnesota
GrievousGarland wrote:

I've never seen a quote to that effect. By "foggy" silent hill they could have just as easily meant the land itself, not the state it is in. Whatever you got "indirectly" is not the same thing I got. So you have no more right to assume things than I do.

and I've never heard of any other situation where all the people in Silent Hill were consumed at once. Disappearances have occurred before, but never on this scale.

Why would they describe the normal world as "foggy," when the alternate plane of reality that the series is famous for can only be described as "foggy?"

The people didn't disappear, Harry and the people featured in the game did.

Post subject:

Video Gamer wrote:
GrievousGarland wrote:

Why would they describe the normal world as "foggy," when the alternate plane of reality that the series is famous for can only be described as "foggy?"

The people didn't disappear, Harry and the people featured in the game did.

okay, I agree with that. Wasn't thinking clearly. That makes much more sense.
I stand by everything else though. =p

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:

Missing since: 22 Apr 2006
Notes left: 1085
Last seen at: Cambridgeshire
Back to Alone In The Town's point: the iron mesh floor deteriorates as the game progresses. I believe it to be symbolism - Alessa is deteriorating thus her world suffers with her. The huge holes in the floor at the end visually implies impending oblivion.

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

>Did I ever say it was true?
Quote: It's basic logic.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2008
Notes left: 586
Last seen at: Lake Tahoe, U.S.A.
Jonipoon wrote:
>Did I ever say it was true?
Quote: It's basic logic.

but what is true, isn't always logical...

revalations 23:16

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

>but what is true, isn't always logical...
He was very concerned about it.

Also, I don't want him to be true.

Post subject:

Jonipoon wrote:
>but what is true, isn't always logical...
He was very concerned about it.

Also, I don't want him to be true.

well, I can't help that. You've failed to disprove anything, so what I've said is still a possibility.

and if we based everything on the statement "what is true, isn't always logical", we'd spend our lives doing nothing but doubting things. Logic rules till proven otherwise.

For example, a box says that it contains a blue ball. Logic dictates that inside that box is a blue ball. It's entirely possible for a different color ball to exist in that box, but what reason do you have for thinking that other than it technically being a possibility?

do you get me?

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Your example is very easily explained with Occam's razor. And Occam tell us to that the ball must be blue since the box description says so. Any other colors is unthinkable since it wouldn't follow simple logic.

>and if we based everything on the statement "what is true, isn't always logical", we'd spend our lives doing nothing but doubting things.

The human race have been doubting things for thousands of years. . .
Without any doubt, we wouldn't get to any correct answers.

>You've failed to disprove anything, so what I've said is still a possibility.
By now, I thought it was implicitly among gamers that "reality" is never obvious in Silent Hill. To go into Silent Hill and say "Hey, that sofa's got less blood on it than the chair over there, so the sofa must be more settled in reality" is so, so wrong.

Post subject:

Jonipoon wrote:
Your example is very easily explained with Occam's razor. And Occam tell us to that the ball must be blue since the box description says so. Any other colors is unthinkable since it wouldn't follow simple logic.

>and if we based everything on the statement "what is true, isn't always logical", we'd spend our lives doing nothing but doubting things.

The human race have been doubting things for thousands of years. . .
Without any doubt, we wouldn't get to any correct answers.

>You've failed to disprove anything, so what I've said is still a possibility.
By now, I thought it was implicitly among gamers that "reality" is never obvious in Silent Hill. To go into Silent Hill and say "Hey, that sofa's got less blood on it than the chair over there, so the sofa must be more settled in reality" is so, so wrong.

Yes, but doubting too much is a waste of time. We shouldn't always assume the most off-the-wall possibility simply because it is physically possible. =/

I guess you just aren't getting me. *sigh*
It's fine if we disagree.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 May 2009
Notes left: 46
Last seen at: Nurse's Station on the Second Floor
Regardless, I think Silent Hill completely DEMOLISHES the concept of Occam's Razor.
In every way possible.

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

>Regardless, I think Silent Hill completely DEMOLISHES the concept of Occam's Razor.
In every way possible.

Wrong. Then you wouldn't be able to apply Occam's razor to religion or philosophy (which Occam did himself). Therefore, I can use it to explain simple things in the SH universe.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 May 2009
Notes left: 46
Last seen at: Nurse's Station on the Second Floor
Jonipoon wrote:
>Regardless, I think Silent Hill completely DEMOLISHES the concept of Occam's Razor.
In every way possible.

Wrong. Then you wouldn't be able to apply Occam's razor to religion or philosophy (which Occam did himself). Therefore, I can use it to explain simple things in the SH universe.

Still doesn't deny the fact that nearly everything in the Silent Hill universe has some kind of symbolic meaning.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
Sometimes a wheelchair is just a wheelchair, my friend.

Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
Or it's a symbol that had a deeper meaning but its overuse has diluted it to the point where it's now just a generic icon of the franchise.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 23 Jun 2009
Notes left: 43
Last seen at: Springfield, OR
Did they use metal grating floors in the movie? For the life of me, I can't remember...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next