Official Ending? (as revealed by Homecoming) *spoilers*

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

SyphonFilter1987

Post by SyphonFilter1987 »

alone in the town wrote:
SyphonFilter1987 wrote:That's just what you think. It doesn't mean it's true. The Lost Book of Memories implies that he did use the red liquid on Cybil. But feel free to believe what you want.
No, I know for a fact that no information, prompt or hint in the game tips you off about how to save Cybil.

The Book of Lost Memories implies only that Harry needed more liquid. It does not imply any specific reason why he might need more, and there are at least two alternative explanations that are more plausible than it having been used on Cybil.
Believe what you want. Good night Ryan. :lol:
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

SyphonFilter1987 wrote: Believe what you want. Good night Ryan. :lol:
Why do you always say that when your theories are backed into a corner...?
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

I'd like to know why he insists on using my Christian name. I had not assumed that level of familiarity.
SyphonFilter1987

Post by SyphonFilter1987 »

Video Gamer wrote:
SyphonFilter1987 wrote: Believe what you want. Good night Ryan. :lol:
Why do you always say that when your theories are backed into a corner...?

I never said I was backed into a corner. I just needed a break until tomorrow. I had been debating with Ryan for almost an hour. Is that a crime?

And I read Ryan's other explanations on his "Good ending is canon" thread. I never said they weren't plausible. That's why I said "believe what you want". However in my opinion, they are equally plausible as Harry using the red liquid on Cybil. They are not more plausible.
alone in the town wrote:I'd like to know why he insists on using my Christian name. I had not assumed that level of familiarity.
Because I'm being sarcastic. Next time, don't pose your real name or face on the internet.

Anyway, good night Ryan and good night Video Gamer. :wink:
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

You know, this entire "Cybil is alive" thing fringes not only on interpreting a comment a certain way, but also that the comment is valid at all. Sometimes developers are just outright wrong. For example, Legend of Zelda, Shigeru Miyamoto claims that Link's Awakening "can go anywhere you like" on the timeline, yet the instruction manual says that the gamecomes after "A Link To the Past".

Oops, Mister Miyamoto fucked up, and no matter what series of games, television shows, movies, books, etc. you find, no matter how serious or laid back, you can probably find an instance where one of the creators ends up contradicting the factual account of the work. For example, Stephen King, who's storyline integrity is atleast as strong as, if not stronger than, Silent Hill. He's on record as saying that Carrie White is the most powerful psychokinetic in his multiverse, but then we have the little girl from Firestarter. Guess what? She can burn out the sun if she felt like it.

Oops, Mister King. So why is Owaku this infalliable God when his statement conflicts with all this other canonical stuff, along with logic and reason?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Ryoshockwave
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ryoshockwave »

I believe that "Good" is about as canon as it gets, but to be fair, any of the endings could be considered the "true" ending, mainly because all the endings are equally true, at least before Silent Hill 3 came along.

The creators have even joked about the UFO endings being the "true" endings, mainly because they are the only endings that actually connect all the games together (or at least they connect 0-3).

http://translatedmemories.com/bookpgs/P ... Ending.jpg
The Good ending is described as "an orthodox ending which is connected to the third game". That right there is proof enough for me that by the time SH3 came along, they had decided that the Good ending was the one they were going to continue the overall plot from.

This is just what happens when games with multiple endings get sequels. When I played Metal Gear Solid 2, I assumed they were going off the ending where Meryl died because she was nowhere to be seen, and Snake was still with Otacon, but then MGS4 came out- and Meryl was alive. This pretty much makes the ending where she died in the first game completely uncanon.

Sorry if any of this was already brought up... to be honest, I didn't want to read the other 26 pages of comments.. x.x
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

I like to believe that the realm of the Otherworld behaves like a Thinny in the Stephen King universe, and causes multiple timelines to branch off from each other. Hence the multiple endings, and hence almost all of them almost always making sense. Even the UFO endings could be viewed as an alternate canon. But the "real" canon is the one that all the games seem to follow...but the fun thing is looking at the games through all the different endings.
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

AuraTwilight wrote:So why is Owaku this infalliable God when his statement conflicts with all this other canonical stuff, along with logic and reason?
If you've actually read the novel like you said you did, you'd understand how Harry could come to the conclusion to use Aglaophotis on Cybil. I mean, yeah, it's your call whether you want to believe the novel or not, but even as a "what if" scenario, it still gives an explanation. You did read the novel, right?

I will bring this up one last time: Good ending has its fault due to the nature of Aglaophotis as it's used by Kaufmann. What happened was not what Kaufmann had expected. If this was Harry's sole witnessing of the effects of Aglaophotis, then it doesn't make sense that Harry would reacquire some for Heather. Because he should be under the impression through those events that Aglaophotis won't save her. Worse, he should have believed that the god will be born into the world with no-one to defeat it.

It only makes sense for Harry to reacquire Aglaophotis for Heather if he witnessed its effect on Cybil i.e. simply exorcising the parasite and saving its host. Silent Hill 3 even goes out of its way to mirror what Harry did to the parasite after it was exorcised from Cybil.
One should reach an understanding if one imagines that even the story development which is similar to a surprising degree is a phenomenon that "loops."
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

Unless someone gets around to making an English translation, I'm never going to read it. How does Harry, in fact, come to this conclusion? Because, of course, this never happens in the game itself, and it's the main point I have against GOOD+. Harry may see what Aglaophotis does to Alessa and not want it to happen to Heather . . . but this ignores two things:

1: He has several years of time in which he can research, and gain information about its different effects in different circumstances. When used on Alessa, she by that point harbored a fully-mature God within her.
2: He may take the hard view that, if it comes down to risking global apocalypse a second time, it may be worth his daughter's life to stop it.