Why did Harry wake up in different places?

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

Moura
Just Passing Through

Re: Why did Harry wake up in different places?

Post by Moura »

I dont like making much sense of the SH universe because the theories need to resort to assuming that lots of things that arent part of the reality as we know it, are part of silent hill, like alternative dimensions and religious cults so powerfull that they can invoke the devil and make it enter a little girls body...this things take me away from the story, bcs they seem too impossible...by focusing on the dream quality of SH, i can more easily relate to it, since its possible to have these subjective experiences...I love SH: Shatered Memories bcs of that :)
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

Moura wrote:I dont like making much sense of the SH universe because the theories need to resort to assuming that lots of things that arent part of the reality as we know it, are part of silent hill, like alternative dimensions and religious cults so powerfull that they can invoke the devil and make it enter a little girls body...this things take me away from the story, bcs they seem too impossible...by focusing on the dream quality of SH, i can more easily relate to it, since its possible to have these subjective experiences...I love SH: Shatered Memories bcs of that :)
But, those things are part of the story. :? Besides, not all of the theories are "assuming" anything. Many of the theories here have in-game evidence to support them. Sure, some things might work differently in Silent Hill than it does in the real world, but that's a part of the story.
Moura
Just Passing Through

Post by Moura »

Its part of the story indeed...but by seing as basically a surreal experience, i dont feel the need for it to make absolute sense, hence me not caring much about why harry appears and desappears constantly, nor if the characters see him ''teleporting''...sometimes i dream that im with someone and halfway through the dream this person transforms into somebody else, and it doesnt make sense logicaly, only emotionaly...i like it better that way, in part bcs, as i said, this many dimensions and all powerful demon-girls thing seem a little silly, over explicative and takes away a little of the mistery...

Once i dreamed i was in a city that was like my home city, but for some reason i knew it wasnt...it didnt make sense, but that was the appeal to me :)
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Then by all means, enjoy the games this way, but the person who made this thread was trying to make sense of things and 'take away' that part of the mystery for themselves. There's really no need to say "Silent Hill is like a dream, anything can happen" because the people asking those sorts of questions are looking for explanations.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

Moura, I think you raise a good point that these games are usually more effective when you *don't* know what's going on. And I agree with that, but at the same time it's also interesting to go back later and try to piece things together. It's just something fun to do if you really like the games, at least for some people.
Moura
Just Passing Through

Post by Moura »

Yeah, its just my personal preference...i mean, the concept of a father searching for his daughter in this nightmarish hell is quite moving...the discussion about how the dinamic of dimensions in SH works can be a little distracting from the core of this experience, but theres nothing wrong with it
I would prefer to see the characters in the game as Harry's projections about his relation with his daughter...in this view it would not even make sense to ask if Lisa sees him disapearing bcs she wouldnt be a real person, but i guess this view probably contradicts some things in the game...

This view would be perfectly apliable to Shatered Memories though
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

Moura wrote:this things take me away from the story, bcs they seem too impossible
Tillerman wrote:And I agree with that, but at the same time it's also interesting to go back later and try to piece things together. It's just something fun to do if you really like the games, at least for some people.
Yes, it truly is interesting to go back and try to give some meaning to surreal things. And yes, Moura, even if you say that things in here are a bit impossible as in dreams, you'll find out that by going a step back and by analyizing these impossible things, 80% of the time you'll find some damn meaning, that even though is not clear within layers of scientific analysis it does have a meaning for you; and that's the beauty of another general aspect of Silent Hill: subjectivity. However, this is the part where it really depends on how much it interests you, as Tillerman stated. Nevertheless, you never know: maybe in some cases of such subjective analysis you'll even find some objectively coherent material.