Silent Hill Play novel?

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

Whitney
SHH Staff Writer

Silent Hill Play novel?

Post by Whitney »

Has anyone ever played or beaten a full version of the Silent Hill Play Novel? I've only found partial translations and they were very short (is it that short of a game?) I would really love to read a plot outline of the entire game!
My Websites!
Image Image Image
Bishop Sasarai
Historical Society Historian

Post by Bishop Sasarai »

I think Aura's beaten the game, but I'm not sure. It's a text-based game, I think, so it's no surprise that it's pretty short.
"In relation to [animals], all people are Nazis; for the animals, it is an eternal Treblinka." - Isaac Bashevis Singer
--
Proud member of the Asiatic hordes. SEANZ.
Alessandro
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Alessandro »

anywhere where i can read it?
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I think Aura's beaten the game, but I'm not sure. It's a text-based game, I think, so it's no surprise that it's pretty short.
I managed to get my hands on a friend's copy once, though I didn't get to complete it. If I remember, the game was never completed anyway; I think I remember hearing that it was released in installments or something, but don't quote me on that, I have no fucking idea anymore. Therefore, I'm not sure if a full translation even exists. Partial translations and patched ROMs are all over though, if you use Google.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Whitney
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Whitney »

AuraTwilight wrote:
I managed to get my hands on a friend's copy once, though I didn't get to complete it. If I remember, the game was never completed anyway; I think I remember hearing that it was released in installments or something, but don't quote me on that, I have no fucking idea anymore. Therefore, I'm not sure if a full translation even exists. Partial translations and patched ROMs are all over though, if you use Google.
I know that you had to live in japan and download the Andy scenario but I think both the Harry and Cybil scenarios were complete on the cartridge. I found a partial translated flash version of the game on Valtiel's Silent Hill Site but each scenario seemed really short so I figured it was incomplete. I was surprised to find that no one has made a write up for it...I guess it's not that great of a game eh?
My Websites!
Image Image Image
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yea, Harry and Cybil were both complete. The Andy scenario was what was form download, and not many people got a chance to actually acquire it. I know what partially translated flash you're talking about, it wasn't that good of a job.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
DamienPales
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DamienPales »

There's some very nice imagery in Play Novel, while it's not much of a game itself. I remember one scene where Harry looks up, and there's a flock of Air Screamers circling overhead. It was strangely beautiful, in a sense.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Plus, the alternate scenarios were some of the best "What-if" situations I've seen.
Whitney
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Whitney »

Yeah the screen shots I've seen has me really interested in the story tree I also like the fact that you can play as Cybil, I would really like to see things from her perspective!
My Websites!
Image Image Image
GrievousGarland

Post by GrievousGarland »

I just finished reading a full translation of Harry's senerio, and it was extremely interesting. Some of the alternate endings are things that I simply couldn't imagine... some still confuse me.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbadva ... 1654/49479
(This is the one that I just finished)

http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbadva ... 1654/51602
(still need to read this. It's Cybil's)

Reading it isn't much different than playing it. Just use your imagination to relate images from the psx game. This is harder with the new endings though... and probably with Cybil's senerio... but it's as close as your going to get to playing a complete version of the game.

Interesting read regardless. ^_^

oh yes, and all credit to the author of the guides I posted.

EDIT: something interesting I just remembered. The play novel (as far as I know) is the only source to provide a definite explain of what Aglaophotis actually is. I'll post the definition with the missing words restored by the author.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
"Aglaophotis"
Made from from the above-mentioned White Claudia, this drug has long been
used to perform exorcisms. It is a viscous liquid, red in color, and is also
administered as a remedy for illnesses for which the cause is not known."
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

The problem is Aglaophotis isn't derived from White Claudia. The writers of Silent Hill: Play Novel simply weren't aware.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
GrievousGarland

Post by GrievousGarland »

MMY wrote:The problem is Aglaophotis isn't derived from White Claudia. The writers of Silent Hill: Play Novel simply weren't aware.
oh is that so? I wasn't aware either it seems. Thanks. :P
Yea, there is a lot else that isn't correct as far as I see it. Namely Lisa's character. She didn't appear in any of the endings in the play novel as she should have.
Krysta
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Krysta »

it's 're-imagining'. Yet another official fan fiction based in SH1 universe. Not worth a deeper thought imo
Whitney
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Whitney »

GrievousGarland thank you so much for the links you are so awesome!!!! Now I'll finally know what the heck the game is talking about :D
My Websites!
Image Image Image
sumcaker
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by sumcaker »

I know this thread is a bit old, but I found another site where you can play, or a least pretend your playing the novel.

Harry:
http://www.silenthillmemories.net/sh_pn ... er0_en.htm

Cybil
http://www.silenthillmemories.net/sh_pn ... er0_en.htm

It shows pictures and stuph.

I'm pretty sure it's the same person who did the guide on GameFAQs, but it's in chapters and more organised.
^^
Doo-glas
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Doo-glas »

ohhhhhh cool, I've always been intrigued by that game
nur_ein_tier
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by nur_ein_tier »

sumcaker wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's the same person who did the guide on GameFAQs, but it's in chapters and more organised.
The dude from gamefaqs contacted me a while ago, I made a flash one with music and video based on his translation here.

But yeah, I wouldn't consider it canon at all, it's sort of a curiosity is all.
This is the only surviving incarnation of Andy, and it's only one of the scenarios.
ImageImage
Camhacks & stuff: SH1 | SH2 | SH3 | SH4 | SHSM | FaceBook | YouTube
sumcaker
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by sumcaker »

Hell that's sweet, I'm sorry I didn't notice it at all. Yours does look 1000x better and I've always wanted to play the Andy scenario.

So sorry. :P
^^
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

I wish I could get this game and be able to play. IDC if it isn't cannon, I just want to play it! Same reason I played SHOrphan 1 and 2.

Thanks for the post nur_ein_tier!
nur_ein_tier
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by nur_ein_tier »

Thanks, sumcaker. It's still not done, but as stated, I just wanted to preserve some things like the Cybil endings, which are so different from what we see in SH1. It still breaks my heart that the SHPN guidebook only had one of four Andy scenarios. I don't care if they sucked or not, I still wish we knew WTH happened in them, you know? Just because it's Silent Hill, damnit.
Harrys_Girl wrote:I wish I could get this game and be able to play. IDC if it isn't cannon, I just want to play it! Same reason I played SHOrphan 1 and 2.

Thanks for the post nur_ein_tier!
Same, though I still haven't played the second orphan one. I mean, I suffered through all the comic books too, even the bad ones, just because I'm a shameless fangirl.

(Also, if something is not clickable on the link I provided, it may need a few seconds to load. I'm not great with flash so I didn't make loading bars and all that.)
ImageImage
Camhacks & stuff: SH1 | SH2 | SH3 | SH4 | SHSM | FaceBook | YouTube