Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 10 Dec 2019

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 17 Sep 2009
Notes left: 772
Last seen at: Portland, OR
I guess when I saw it in the intro I was really thinking something painful was going on. Then you hear the dialogue with it and it's just odd. Then again, most of the dialogue sounds "odd" in that game...

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 31 Oct 2009
Notes left: 38
AuraTwilight wrote:
Cheryl and Alessa merged, though I imagined that a little tiny bit of Cheryl's consciousness was subconsciously exploiting her own powers to try and reach her father.

Bingo!

I remember elaborating on that point a loong time ago on the UK Silent Hill forum (which no longer exists). Cheryl is a part of Alessa, but since she spent seven years with Harry, she has her own distinct personality. When she merges with Alessa at the beginning of the game, she retains that personality and her affection for her father. The bad endings are pretty strong evidence for this, as full Alessa essentially calls Harry 'Daddy'.

However, the dominant 'Alessa' half of Alessa has no reason to trust Harry, and as such her monsters attack him indiscriminantly. On the other hand, the Cheryl half *draws* Harry to her, and often gives him the metaphorical 'key' to the back door of Alessa's defenses. The storybook about the lizard, and the shotgun, were no coincidence. They were planted by Cheryl so that Harry could bypass Alessa's monstrosities.

Some veterans in the past tried to claim Dahlia planted the shotgun, but that's just silly. How would she know what bedtime stories Harry read to his daughter? What is occurring is essentially a war between dual personalities. Alessa doesn't know Harry, and therefore is attempting to keep him away. The Cheryl persona is frightened and in pain, and is trying to bring her father to her.

By the way, a few people have mentioned the video of Cheryl that plays in the Silent Hill Town Mall. Just for fun, go onto Youtube to one of the "Let's plays" for Silent Hill, and find that part of the game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMQnwSiVb-o#movie_player). Watch carefully, and keep pausing as the multiple tv screens flicker. If you get your timing right, you will see that images of Alessa will flicker on some of the screens. This just demonstrates that it's Alessa/Cheryl, and not Dahlia, who is transmitting these messages.

Edit: Here are a couple of screenshots to show what I am on about:

Image[/img]

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11384
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Quote:
Some veterans in the past tried to claim Dahlia planted the shotgun, but that's just silly. How would she know what bedtime stories Harry read to his daughter?

It's presence in the school, combined with Harry not commenting on the familiarity of the story, leads me to think that it was a story Alessa read, not Cheryl. However, that doesn't change that the latter might have read the former's memories in order to craft the hint.

Quote:
By the way, a few people have mentioned the video of Cheryl that plays in the Silent Hill Town Mall. Just for fun, go onto Youtube to one of the "Let's plays" for Silent Hill, and find that part of the game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMQnwSiVb-o#movie_player). Watch carefully, and keep pausing as the multiple tv screens flicker. If you get your timing right, you will see that images of Alessa will flicker on some of the screens. This just demonstrates that it's Alessa/Cheryl, and not Dahlia, who is transmitting these messages.

Holy shit, I can't believe I never noticed that.

Awesome first post, dude. Welcome to the forum!

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 31 Oct 2009
Notes left: 38
AuraTwilight wrote:
It's presence in the school, combined with Harry not commenting on the familiarity of the story, leads me to think that it was a story Alessa read, not Cheryl. However, that doesn't change that the latter might have read the former's memories in order to craft the hint.

Didn't Harry comment that he used to read the story to Cheryl?

Edit: My mistake. He says he remembers reading it as a kid.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jan 2009
Notes left: 123
Last seen at: Behind the curtain
I agree with Aura, I never noticed the images of Alessa before, that was a brilliant find bananaslug!

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Jun 2009
Notes left: 121
Oh? I saw the pictures of Alessa before this thread, but I thought it wasn't a big deal. So......

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 28 Sep 2009
Notes left: 475
Last seen at: Behind the pipes
Everyone misses small details here and there. I noticed Alessa too, but rarely to I engage in debate on what's going on until the events have concluded so I can focus on the here and now.