Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 07 Dec 2019

Gravedigger
 Post subject: The god of Silent Hill SPOILER!!!

Missing since: 02 Feb 2010
Notes left: 504
Last seen at: Birmingham
Is it just me or is the god of Silent Hill a pathetic accuse for a deity? Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Silent Hill series, but come on Harry, one skinny, middle-aged man that's not the very manly and has no real combat experience, defeats the cult's god?That's not much of a god. I'm not trying to start an argument or a fight, I just got to thinking about it the other day and was curious what others thought.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 13 Aug 2009
Notes left: 190
yeah it was but consider [spoiler]that it had just been "born" or hadn't fully matured when it was killed... so that could account for how weak and pathetic it seems.

Also, it was weakend when kaufmann threw the aglaophatis vial at alessa[/spoiler]

there. whew.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 17 Sep 2009
Notes left: 772
Last seen at: Portland, OR
Harry sort of points that out himself in the third game. "Wasn't much of a God if it could be killed by a human being".

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Jul 2009
Notes left: 3535
^ Heather points that out, not Harry (unless I am totally wrong, because I haven't played the game in a year)

I believe that it isn't a god. It is a regular monster, more like a "boss", manifested from everything-The Order's beliefs, the peoples' fears, all manifested into one entity that is a 'God'-like creature.

Hence how it could be destroyed so easily. The real god that The Order awaits for was never shown, only monsters that they believed to be God.

Alternatively, if the creature had been fully "Born" not vomited out through a mouth (what a strange way of aborting a child) or being sprinkled with the red liquid aglaphotis, then maybe it would have take on the form of the real God.

We have to wait on future games that confirm all of these crazy fan theories, though.

EDIT: Should't this be in General Discussion? Doesn't the "God" topic fit into more than one specific game?

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Jan 2006
Notes left: 4060
Last seen at: Carrollton, TX
If you haven't read Burning Man's Father of God theory, check it out. Perhaps the Order's complete birthing ritual was meant to include Alessa as the Vessel and Walter Sullivan as the Conjurer. Since Dahlia jumped the gun and left the Conjurer out of the equation, God was not born properly. It explains things quite neatly.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

JuriDawn wrote:
If you haven't read Burning Man's Father of God theory, check it out. Perhaps the Order's complete birthing ritual was meant to include Alessa as the Vessel and Walter Sullivan as the Conjurer. Since Dahlia jumped the gun and left the Conjurer out of the equation, God was not born properly. It explains things quite neatly.

Just read The Father of God post. Interesting theory, it explains everything quite well. I guess my conflict with Silent Hill is the cult's theory of god and my personal(Christian) beliefs. I often find myself judging/comparing Silent Hill's religion by my beliefs in what a god is. In Silent Hill, the cult(the creators) creates the god to serve them where as Christians live to serve God(the Creator).

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 11 Feb 2010
Notes left: 41
Last seen at: Michigan
Harry's just too much of a man.

[spoiler]The fact he killed it pretty much sets in stone that someone got the ambush on him in SH3.[/spoiler]

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 May 2006
Notes left: 63
krakalackin wrote:
JuriDawn wrote:

Just read The Father of God post. Interesting theory, it explains everything quite well. I guess my conflict with Silent Hill is the cult's theory of god and my personal(Christian) beliefs. I often find myself judging/comparing Silent Hill's religion by my beliefs in what a god is. In Silent Hill, the cult(the creators) creates the god to serve them where as Christians live to serve God(the Creator).

Try not to think about to much or you will go crazy. Remember its just a game. Plus I'm sure this cult doesn't necessarily want to birth god, but just birth its powers for their purpose.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 May 2008
Notes left: 1541
Last seen at: Right behind you
>.> No, they want to birth God to cleanse the world and bring about paradise.

=====================================================

Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
My impression is that different elements within the Order have different goals vis-à-vis the God and what purpose its creation serves.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

paladin181 wrote:
>.> No, they want to birth God to cleanse the world and bring about paradise.

Alessa and Claudia did, Dhalia wanted to use god to empower herself at the cost of her own daughter and Walter wanted to be with his mother. Imo, Claudia is the only one that wanted paradise, she believed that everyone is saved and wanted god to create a paradise that everyone could live peacefully in. I think Alessa wanted paradise, but think she really just wanted die so she could escape the pain and Dhalia.

Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11384
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
All the other comments aside, it's worth taking into consideration that in older religions, Gods tended to be quite anthropomorphic and in many cases very killable. The idea of a perfectly immortal, omnipotent, eternal being as deity is a relatively new religious idea.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 17 Sep 2009
Notes left: 772
Last seen at: Portland, OR
simeonalo wrote:
^ Heather points that out, not Harry (unless I am totally wrong, because I haven't played the game in a year)

No, I think you are right, actually. Harry writes it as if he never even fought the God.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Sep 2009
Notes left: 16
The plot of the first game reminds me very much of the themes invoked in The Tragical History of Doctor Faustus, at least in relation to God and religion. That could just be me though. :D

Post subject:

JuriDawn wrote:

It's a very interesting theory, but I think that it's far fetched (trying to connect two rituals together, though the game only gives evidence that they are seperate rituals)-even though it fits the pieces together perfectly, like a puzzle.

Post subject:

You're not taking into account that the Creation Myth of the Order claims that God was originally born of a man and a woman. One ritual uses a woman, the other uses a man. It's not far-fetched at all.

Post subject:

AuraTwilight wrote:
All the other comments aside, it's worth taking into consideration that in older religions, Gods tended to be quite anthropomorphic and in many cases very killable. The idea of a perfectly immortal, omnipotent, eternal being as deity is a relatively new religious idea.

I agree, it is a new idea. Though some very ancient religions (Like Greek Mythology) depict their gods as immortal (in this case, the Twelve Olympians and the Titans).

Post subject:

Immortal in most senses, but still killable under certain circumstances, such as being slain by a stronger god, or being turned into a mortal.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Immortal definition: "not subject to death", if a being is, by definition "immortal", then they can not be killed. If the "god" can be killed, then they are not immortal. Plan and simple.

Post subject:

"Immortal" can also refer to beings with an infinite lifespan, but are still killable.